Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim Livestock Mart

Options
  • 26-02-2009 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

What is going to ever happen to the old mart in the town. Pity to see it closed up as a mart. Mind you a sign of the times we live in. Potterton's still have the Delvin mart going strong and he property exhange in Trim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

itsonlyme wrote: »
    What is going to ever happen to the old mart in the town. Pity to see it closed up as a mart. Mind you a sign of the times we live in. Potterton's still have the Delvin mart going strong and he property exhange in Trim

From what I heard it was earmarked as a development site for apartments & shops/supermarket etc.. But I guess in the current economic times it may be a while before that happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

There was talk of a retail development involving one of the big Irish supermarkets/retailers.

Also, when (and if) the new town centre goes ahead behind Market Street/Emmet Street, a new spur of the ring road will be built, connecting the current Longwood/Summerhill Road roundabout back with the Athboy Road, somewhere close to the industrial estate, so this road would inevitably cut through the yard in some way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alscrxangels

Nothing has been passed by planning yet and the Trim Local Development Plan will try to develop the areas zoned at the back of Emmet St/Wtergate St first. It's only out but the developers i.e Bennets construction and the supermarket chain. who were meant to develop the lands have pulled out of it for the moment. Trim Town council will try push this land before the cattle mart as it includes the provision for extension of the existing ring road out that area. Pottertons have no reason to sell the land cheaply as it cost them very little in the beginning but as a property on their portfolio they are eager to get the land developed and are going to try and obtain planning permission shortly as they know that Meath County Council and ultimetly Trim Town Council now need development contributions since the new town centre has hit the skids.

The cattle mart was earmarked for the shopping centre years ago but Trim Town Council thought that if they could develop the new town centre area first using theshopping centre as a keystone then they would be able to part finance the ring road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Which Supermarket group have been mooted for the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thought I read somewhere recently that the whole thing has fallen through as they cannot find a retailer for the main site/plot

EDIT: thought so...

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/articles/1/38360/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Im terribly surprised that Tesco is not jumping at the chance to get in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

itsonlyme wrote: »
    Im terribly surprised that Tesco is not jumping at the chance to get in there.

Tesco won't be opening a new store in these parts for quite a while yet, in spite of huge profits. I know of contractors who worked with Tesco being laid off because they simply aren't building/opening any new outlets.

Advertisement