Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Daltrey

Options
  • 26-02-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Roger will be accepting an honorary whatyamacallit from the L+H soc next wednesday. I am a fanatic of his work and really want to go.

Even though im a 3rd year, I have never been to one of these yokes and wondering can I just walk in to the theatre and watch it?
    I am not a member of L+H soc or affiliated in any way.

Also, is there a chance to shake hands and get a picture after the ceremony?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In general, yes, you can just walk in. I just walked in to Prof. Steven Weinberg's lecture and JJ Award a few weeks ago, and he's a rock star of the Physics world, complete with Nobel Prize.

The exceptions are for guests who are so high-profile that the room would be swamped, so they sell tickets for the event. I don't think this'll be one of those, so unless the posters say it's a ticket event, there should be no problem with just turning up on the night.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

cheers, for that, but is there anyway to meet him afterwards? i'd like to get a record signed or somethin. or will he just be whisked away. what normally happens after these things...?

Also, some friends who are not ucd students would be interested in coming.would this be ok,or do they need student cards?

I haven't been to a lot of these things, but I think it'll be down to Roger himself. For example, I heard the stories about Will Ferrell, the actor, downing pints in the Student Bar after his award last year - and that was much more high-profile. If he's a nice guy, and you're nice, I don't see a problem - but you'd have to ask Roger 'bout that.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Huge guest for the L&H. Absolutely delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

RichTea wrote: »
    Huge guest for the L&H. Absolutely delighted with it.

If you had anything to do with getting him here, well, you've just made my year!

THANK YOU!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It is a big coup for the L&H, they've had some great guests this year, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

I've met Roger a few times before and he's a pure gent, seriously.
    If you're able to wander in, he'll deffo be accessible he's a lovely guy. Always says 'be lucky' as a goodbye. No rockgod ****e about him at all and he'd be entitled to pull that ****.

Well, that was something. Some interesting stories, especially about Keith Moon and how Roger seems to be trying to make a film about him, and not just a "Carry On Keith" biopic. Loads of cameras going nearly all the time, a presenter and camera from RTE was there, and the last I saw, Roger was 9-deep in autograph seekers & well-wishers. He might still be there now... :pac:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I saw Watchmen instead...

When Patrick Stewart comes then I'll go.

If not I'm going to Lawsoc and the L&H and demanding the 6 euro back I've paid over the last three years between them just to get to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

did anyone check the who's website:

The Who frontman, Roger Daltrey is to receive a prestigious award from University College Dublin, reports the Press Association.

prestigious me arse :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Total legend. It's one thing seeing him being interviewed in The Kids Are Alright or Amazing Journey, it's a totally different experience being in the room with the guy. Flew in, did the event, flew home, but still took the time to sign a ton of stuff for people, mainly LPs, it has to be said. It was a bit of a melee, but it was kind of controlled chaos.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Anyone get photos of that chap who asked the first question and then went up to sign his book and he forgot to bring up a pen? Hilarious.What a legend he was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yeah, and as dimejinky99 predicted, he said "Be lucky" after he signed it. He didn't really have the time to that for everyone once he got swamped at the end though. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement