Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vancouver island

• 26-02-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

heading there for a week in june as part of a three week western canada honeymoon, we would appreciate any advice on what to do, many thanks!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm going to be in Vancouver for a few days myself around the beginning of April so interested in any ideas that people may have. Not actually sure how long I'll have there yet exactly though as I'm hireing a car in Calgary and then have to make it to Vancouver for another flight 4 and a bit days later, but assuming that I don't get lost/ snowed on/ eaten by a yeti on crossing the Rockies there should be a couple of days with which to explore Vancouver a bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Don't limit yourself to just the city. There's so much to see in that part of the country it's ridiculous! Go to the rainforest, for one: http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=4120

Or Tofino, if you're really outdoorsy: http://www.tofino-bc.com/

There's also a FANTASTIC market, make sure you go there and get some food. Especially fresh salmon: http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=4025

The aquarium is phenomenal: http://www.britishcolumbia.com/attractions/?id=44

Victoria is quite lovely and quaint: http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=1

It's been years since I've been to British Columbia but it truly is stunning, especially if you drive down the back roads through the mountains.. it is just absolutely beautiful and completely unforgettable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Granville Island market will make you weep when you think of the complete crud that passes for fresh fruit and veg here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Are you serious?!! I loved Granville Market. The food there was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

The rainforest is absolutely amazing you can go there from Tofino. There a guy who is cheap will sail ya over there drop you off and you can explore yourself. There is a boardwalk so cant get lost!! He even sends his dog in with ya and she knows the way back just in case!!!;) Sounds random but is good fun! Think the island is called Myres Island.

Ucluelet is nice as well. There a great tour there to see the sealife in area, whales, sea lions, eagles nest near by. Its quiet tho,both areas are quiet. There a lovely small town feel to them and beautiful bus trip tru the mountains.

Enjoy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Victoria is beautiful to go to. Salt Spring Island is really nice for a day trip, you need to get a ferry there. The Malahat is a well known scenic lookout spot north of Victoria on the main highway on Vancouver Island. a town called Chemainous is really cute- I love going here with my family when I'm visting- loads of cute shops and antique shops. (by the way most of these places are just off the highway). Duncan is called the city of totem poles, nice to just stop for a break. Campbell River is pretty north and Quadra Island is nearby.

Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park are definitely worth a visit on the west coast of the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

hi sambuka41, any hope of some more details on the guy who lets you off walking with his dog, my wife to be would love this sort of thing!
    sambuka41 wrote: »
    The rainforest is absolutely amazing you can go there from Tofino. There a guy who is cheap will sail ya over there drop you off and you can explore yourself. There is a boardwalk so cant get lost!! He even sends his dog in with ya and she knows the way back just in case!!!;) Sounds random but is good fun! Think the island is called Myres Island.

Ucluelet is nice as well. There a great tour there to see the sealife in area, whales, sea lions, eagles nest near by. Its quiet tho,both areas are quiet. There a lovely small town feel to them and beautiful bus trip tru the mountains.

Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I think the name of the place is called Jamies Whaling Station. Its on the left on main street just after a huge and very old tree. They do the zodiac whale tours too.

http://www.jamies.com/

We stayed in C&N backpackers hostel. It was nice,very homely feel. And right on main street. Takes 5 mins to walk to the Whaling place. Here details if interested. They also have a place in Ucluelet which is really private and lovely. Over looks a lough out the back. Nice walks in area. Thats if its a hostel your looking for!!!;)
    C&N backpackers
    241 Campbell St
    Tofino toll free: 1-888-434-6060
    tel: 1-250-725-2288

cheers for that sambuka41, herself has major sceitimini athas at the thought of having a dog leading us around a rainforest, thanks to all who have replied also!
    sambuka41 wrote: »
    I think the name of the place is called Jamies Whaling Station. Its on the left on main street just after a huge and very old tree. They do the zodiac whale tours too.

http://www.jamies.com/

We stayed in C&N backpackers hostel. It was nice,very homely feel. And right on main street. Takes 5 mins to walk to the Whaling place. Here details if interested. They also have a place in Ucluelet which is really private and lovely. Over looks a lough out the back. Nice walks in area. Thats if its a hostel your looking for!!!;)
    C&N backpackers
    241 Campbell St
    Tofino toll free: 1-888-434-6060
    tel: 1-250-725-2288

any more ideas out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Cluainfia

locky76 wrote: »
    heading there for a week in june as part of a three week western canada honeymoon, we would appreciate any advice on what to do, many thanks!:)

Make sure you go Whale Watching
    We enjoyed it last year
    Saw 25 Humpbaced Whales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Perhaps a bit late, but just to add:

The scenery on Vancouver Island and in-and-around Vancouver itself is amazing.

On the island:

A trip to Tofino, whilst out of the way, is hugely recommended - this sleepy village at the edge of nowhere is a real experience, not to mind the sealife! The scenery from Port Alberni to Tofino is particularly spectacular too (I think the tv show Twin Peaks was filmed around there). You'll want to get out of the car several times along the way. I would recommend driving it in daylight too - it rains a lot on that stretch of the road (which is through a rain forest!) so driving in the dark can be a fairly exhausting (!) Also, make sure you fill up on petrol leaving Port Alberni.

Would recommend staying at the "Chateau Victoria Hotel & Suites" in Victoria - check it out on Tripadvisor. Reasonably priced (in Winter anyway!), really central in downtown Victoria and the rooms are huge! (granted their Swimming pool is quite small)

On the mainland:

Heading back from the Island to Tsawwassen on the ferry, make sure you go out on deck - the views are unlike anything you'll experience on a boat on this side of the world. On a clear day you'll even see Mt Rainier in Washington State.

Vancouver itself is a beautiful city - so much to see and do. You'll probably recognise a lot of it from various tv shows (it has one of the biggest tv film industries outside of New York/Hollywood). To be honest I found Granville Island boring and tacky, but there are so many other things to do. I'd thoroughly recommend dining in the Cactus Club Cafe. Its a chain but this particular one was a fantastic (inexpensive) dining experience in an impresssive location: http://www.cactusclubcafe.com/locations/bc/vancouver/bentall-5

If you can fit in a couple of days in Whistler, do so - the "Sea to Sky Highway" up to it from Vancouver is really impressive. The drive only takes a couple of hours. Check road conditions before you go, although the road surfacing has seen major upgrades in advance of the Winter Olympics being held in Vancouver/Whistler in 2010.

Hope the above helps - enjoy you holiday, you're choosing a fantastic destination!

Advertisement