Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The skinny on protien shakes and powders.

• 26-02-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I am looking for help in trying to break into what seems to be the jargon
    filled world of protein shakes.

The changes to my diet have been going pretty well and upping the protein content in my diet while cutting carbs is working well but I need something
    for that post lunch mid afternoon slump as dinner is not until after 7pm
    and I try not to eat after that most nights.

I have been snacking on fruit and a handful of nuts but it's not cutting it any more and I want something which is easy to make and eat as it's a busy
    time of day with the kids and things which need doing around the house.

So what should I be avoiding, looking at and what tastes just awful :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

hey thae,

i think you may be tired because you do not have nough carbs in your diet,is there a particular reason why you are loading the protein and not protein and carbs?

(ya could change to a shake with protein and complex carbs that would provide recovery and increase energy levels)

hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My mid afternoon snack is: 1 x 200g tub of cottage cheese mixed with a fat free yoghurt and some nuts. Absolutely _delicious_ and keeps you going for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Omellete with a bit of cheese and ham maybe, takes a few mins at most

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

My favourites:

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/18

Vanilla Cream & Belgian Chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

1-2 scoops of Spirutein Protein Powder bananna flavour (you can get in Nourish on Liffey St or Health Food Store in Blanch centre) with OJ & few dollops of natural yoghurt. Blend it. I would drink about 3/4 of a pint of it at a go, keeps me going for a good few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

As far as protein powder goes: whatever is cheapest tbh. You'll probably have some trials by error as everyone has different likes and dislikes taste-wise (I hate ON double choc, others think it makes Galaxy bars pale in comparison to its chocolatey creamy goodness). Holland and Barrett often have sales on, you could try and pick up a reasonably priced small-mid sized tub for very little and see how you go with it. I know a lot of people see protein powder as an extra cost, but serving for serving it costs no more/less than buying eggs really!

I'd also second Khannie's suggestion - I eat my cottage cheese with pineapple (if I have a sweet-tooth) or peanut butter or avocado and it keeps me full for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Firstly I would try and get the protein from whole foods if at all possible (boiled eggs kept in fridge etc etc) but if you have to get a protein supplement (use one myself so I'm not judging) it would be

bulkpowders.co.uk

They have plain whey which is very very well priced compared to bigger brand names (you're paying for the marketing with big brand names remember). It mixes very well with water or milk.

One bit of warning though is that its not the best tasting in water. I take it with 50% milk, 50% water and a tea spoon of drinking chocolate (aero brand) and they are very nice. You don't need the sweeteners if mixed with all milk.

Basically all the whey supplements are in or around 80% protein. So a 30 gram scoop (average portion) would be approx 24 grams of protein. This goes up with milk but so do the amount of calories.

I suppose it depends on what you're willing to spend on it, there are nicer tasting powders but they are usually way more expensive. I think 12lbs of a brand name powder is about 100 euro and the bulkpowder stuff I got 22lbs for 80 something euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I never said I was tired :)
    I have omlettes for breakfast 5 mornings a week.
    Lunch is usually soup and wholemeal bread so I am getting complex carbs.
    I can't eat cottage cheese, sorry just can't, really it's too much like baby puke.

A higher protien diet is working for me like nothing I have ever tried before,
    I've a wide enough build and what isn't flab is muscle and I want to build muscle
    and tone up.

I am looking at going this way cos I had been drinking smoothies but the higher
    levels of sugar due to the fructose had me sugar crashing and I want something
    which I can fix, consume and get on with my day.

Shocking switch from food which is pleasure to food as fuel but I think that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭twentysomething

What are the benefits of protien shakes? Do the shakes keep you full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I never said I was tired :)
    I have omlettes for breakfast 5 mornings a week.
    Lunch is usually soup and wholemeal bread so I am getting complex carbs.
    I can't eat cottage cheese, sorry just can't, really it's too much like baby puke.

A higher protien diet is working for me like nothing I have ever tried before,
    I've a wide enough build and what isn't flab is muscle and I want to build muscle
    and tone up.

I am looking at going this way cos I had been drinking smoothies but the higher
    levels of sugar due to the fructose had me sugar crashing and I want something
    which I can fix, consume and get on with my day.

Shocking switch from food which is pleasure to food as fuel but I think that's a good thing.

apologies.

my definition of a 'mid afternoon slump' is tiredness,and i became tired when just taking protein supps but dissapeared when i started taking a sake with protein and complex carbs.

laters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

What are the benefits of protien shakes? Do the shakes keep you full?

Well they do for me. I've had one for brekkie with yoghurt & juice in it for the past 2 or 3 years because it fills me up way better than cereal or toast. Also I can bring it in the car in my shaker bottle thing!

Protein is more satisfying & lasts longer than just straight up carbs. Also, if you are working out, it helps repair muscles & build them up as protein is a major building block of the body.

Advertisement