Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council elections - did you vote?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 3:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just interested in numbers for the moment, rather than opinions on the work/role/point of the TC.

Did you vote in the Teaching Council Elections? 21 votes

I voted
    0% 0 votes
    I spoiled my vote
    14% 3 votes
    I did not vote
    9% 2 votes
    I did not receive ballot papers
    28% 6 votes
    I am not registered with the Teaching Council
    47% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

When was the vote? I don't remember getting any ballot papers in the post or being asked to go to any location to vote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They were posted to people's homes. The closing date was yesterday.

I know from speaking to my colleagues that very few bothered to either vote or submit a valid vote - mainly on the grounds that they had no idea who the people were they were voting for. All we got was two names and the names of the schools they worked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I know that a couple of teachers in my school got phone calls asking them to support certain candidates but very few teachers actually voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

A significant proportion of 'constituencies' went uncontested :(

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

didnt vote in protest - felt like they treated us like kids when they threatened to stop our pay if we didnt join

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i didn't receive any voting papers

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat-ience

I thought about just not voting in protest.

While I am all on for a professional body to represent the teaching profession, I find the TC irrelevant and ineffectual. Dealings I have had with them have been far from the standards one would expect from a profession body. I don't want them representing me. It all smacks of 'jobs for the boys'.

To be fair at least two of the candidates did say in their 'spiel' they acknowledged that many teachers did not see the relevance of the TC and that they intended to address this.

After thinking long and hard about it, I worried that not voting would be taken as apathy so I sent back the ballot paper and on it I explained why I would not be voting. I take it this is a spoilt vote. It pained me to do this. It is not something I have ever done before as I consider exercising one's vote and democracy so important.

Sorry just re-read what they OP asked for :) Sorry for being long winded. I just wanted to explain my motives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bumping this to keep it on the front page.
    As it stands the number of voters is quite small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

Pat-ience wrote: »
    I thought about just not voting in protest.

While I am all on for a professional body to represent the teaching profession, I find the TC irrelevant and ineffectual. Dealings I have had with them have been far from the standards one would expect from a profession body. I don't want them representing me. It all smacks of 'jobs for the boys'.

To be fair at least two of the candidates did say in their 'spiel' they acknowledged that many teachers did not see the relevance of the TC and that they intended to address this.

After thinking long and hard about it, I worried that not voting would be taken as apathy so I sent back the ballot paper and on it I explained why I would not be voting. I take it this is a spoilt vote. It pained me to do this. It is not something I have ever done before as I consider exercising one's vote and democracy so important.

Sorry just re-read what they OP asked for :) Sorry for being long winded. I just wanted to explain my motives.

+1
    Likewise I cannot see the relevance of the TC and find the fact that we have to pay to be recognised as a teacher a farce - wonder will they bring down the charge considering the financial climate? Prob not ....sorry if I sound sceptical but every penny counts

In relation to ballot papers I certainly did not receive same and I am a registered member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I received no ballot paper either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Apparently a number of constituencies only had one candidate running so they were elected uncontested. Got this from the teaching council website - all of these candidates were elected unopposed:

Primary (Dublin) - Micheál Kilcrann, Dympna Mulkerrins and Micheál Ó Gríofa
    · Primary (Connacht / Ulster) - Maree O’Connell and Seán Rowley
    · Primary (Leinster - Male Panel) Milo Walsh
    · Primary (Munster) - Christy Carroll and Alice O’Connell
    · Post-primary Voluntary (Connacht/Munster/Ulster)- Noel Buckley
    · Post-primary Voluntary (Leinster Female)-Bernadine O’Sullivan
    · Post-primary VEC (Connacht / Munster/Ulster -Fergal McCarthy
    · Post-primary Community & Comprehensive- Susie Hall

Just tried to look up my own name in the index of registered teachers - I'm not there. What the hell am I paying €90 for if I'm not actually included in the register?

E.T. wrote: »
    Just tried to look up my own name in the index of registered teachers - I'm not there. What the hell am I paying €90 for if I'm not actually included in the register?

I suspect 'once bitten, twice shy' will apply this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

Although I filled out the forms, sent in my original transcripts, got Garda clearance and paid €90, I did not get ballot papers either. Let's hope the newly-elected Council get their act together in time for the next election.

I contacted the Teaching Council and asked for figures on the contested constituencies.
    They are as follows:

Primary (Leinster)
    Ballots issued 8393
    Ballot items returned 2501
    Invalid Ballot items returned 86
    Ballots opened 2415
    Carmel Bradwell 1180
    Mary Brennan 1172
    Invalid Ballots 63

Post-Primary Voluntary (Leinster)
    Ballots issued 8850
    Ballot items returned 1573
    Invalid Ballot items returned 72
    Ballots opened 1501
    Christy Maginn 798
    Dermot Quish 669
    Invalid Ballots 34

Post-Primary Voluntary (Connacht/Munster/Ulster)
    Ballots issued 8507
    Ballot items returned 2027
    Invalid Ballot items returned 64
    Ballots opened 1963
    Lily Cronin 1092
    Máire Ní Laoire 834
    Invalid Ballots 37

Post-Primary VEC (Leinster)
    Ballots issued 6183
    Ballot items returned 1307
    Invalid Ballot items returned 72
    Ballots opened 1235
    Patrick McQuaile 781
    Peadar O'Kelly 419
    Invalid Ballots 35

Any errors in transcription are mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

Just wondering if people are going to vote in the upcoming Teaching Council Elections. They are being held online this time. Candidates were announced this week. Wonder why the Unions are endorsing particular candidates. Surely they shouldn't have a say on the Teaching Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd vote for a candidate that came up with a single useful function for the Teaching Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

Well do you not think it could be good. Things like Feilte if brought around the country rather than just being a Dublin based thing. I think if ordinary people could get into it with ordinary ideas that can improve all our working lives it would be good. I just can't see it happening though as the Unions have it all sewn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

PCG with respect you don't know much about the TC .The unions ( which the government have 'all sewn up') have a quota of seats on the TC which is designed to have teachers in a MINORITY ) The TC lied for years saying teachers wouldn't be paid if they didn't join thus relieving a significant fraction of us of around €500 under very false pretences . The also have made life hell for those seeking to have qualifications other than very mainstream ones from Irish colleges recognised .Their fees ( and the applicant has to do all the footwork) is in the 3-4 figure range , sometimes to refuse . They have been utterly mute during the devastation of our profession . They have built up over ten million of a war chest to pay for solutions lawyers to help keep sacked teachers fired ( presumably many of these unfortunates will be hoping their union will pay for THEIR lawyer) once Fitness to Teach hearings kick in . Oh and we should be sacrificing significant chunks of our time and money soon for compulsory CPD
    BuT ,hey , yeah , it COULD be good ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

iirc, there one or two who ran for election last time with the sole mandate to abolish the TC if elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Does anyone know which of the ETB candidates for Leinster is being endorsed by the TUI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

If a candidate promises to abolish the registration fee they will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But if they don't collect registration fees they won't have anything to do.

:D

Somebody has to order the fresh flowers and proper coffee for their offices - and very nice they are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

And I'd say they're looking forward to pulling some poor unfortunates into the public glare..... because that's the way Jan wants it done a..in one of their fitness to practice hunts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

That move ( making hearings public) was the most blatant puerile reaction to the teachers 'resisting ' the new JC shambles .Would get more maturity in a kindergarten . It's all about ego , image and reelection with them .

Advertisement