Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€12 Billion in waste

Options
  • 26-02-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

One of the tabloid papers did a quick calculation during the week about the main areas where money has been wasted since 1998. They came up with a figure of 12 billion for it.

How much more have they wasted.

They are the usual, hole in the ground, half arsed motorways, tribunals, quango, voting machines, storage, multiple pensions and jobs for the same people ETC.

Our government needs to stop waste before it can increase tax.

Why, when we can see where it is all going, are they completely oblivious?

€100,000 a year to keep a prisoner, HOW
    €250,000 a year to keep a kid prisoner, HOW
    €100,000 TD expenses no proof required, HOW

the list is endless

Why aren't the solicitors and barristers who work for public service involved in tribunals and a public salary.

Why is there so much duplication in public service. How many of the 360,000 staff do we actually need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There will inevitably be waste when running such a large organisation.

A lot of what does occur such as storing old voting machines is for FF and not the people and TBH, we should send their party the cheque for the storage.

Keeping prisoners with Sky TV etc... is ridiculous especially for kids. Why not provide these facilities where the kids live then they might not have to commit crime just to get access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Probably easier to get them Sky TV than to deal with the riots and the crazy drug abuse from boredom.
    I can live with this.

However, I find it difficult to stomach unproven expenses for TDs.

What are they doing? bribing people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

thebman wrote: »
    There will inevitably be waste when running such a large organisation.

A lot of what does occur such as storing old voting machines is for FF and not the people and TBH, we should send their party the cheque for the storage.

Keeping prisoners with Sky TV etc... is ridiculous especially for kids. Why not provide these facilities where the kids live then they might not have to commit crime just to get access to them.

That's funny, Ryanair is a large organisation and you don't see 12 Billion Euro of waste there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Darragh29 wrote: »
    That's funny, Ryanair is a large organisation and you don't see 12 Billion Euro of waste there...

Ryanair isn't the size of the government.

The best example would probably be IBM or Intel who both pretty much employ a small country of employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

oh well if a tabloid newspaper worked it out we should all take heed

have you any experience with the prison service? i assume you do as you have a problem with the costs so tell us how much should it cost to keep an adult and a kid in jail respectively?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Darragh29 wrote: »

What a strange satement. What on earth does Ryanair have to do with this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

One way to make prison cheaper would be to execute anyone convicted of sexual crimes or drugs. I'd personally do it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

PeakOutput wrote: »
    oh well if a tabloid newspaper worked it out we should all take heed

have you any experience with the prison service? i assume you do as you have a problem with the costs so tell us how much should it cost to keep an adult and a kid in jail respectively?

WOW

12 billion is the minimum wasted. I was hoping this thread would develop into a factual breakdown of where the money has gone.

I have no prison connection. The figures quoted are the costs.

The figures quoted are the costs.

obviously my point was what makes you believe they are excessive?

also this 'wasted' money in whos opinion is it wasted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I was listening to Noel Dempsey on Matt Cooper there a few weeks ago. When he was asked about the voting machines fiasco he actually tried to claim that the money wasted on voting machines was money well
    spent:eek: Claiming we should ask the people of meath what they thought of them :rolleyes: Hearing that nearly made me sick:mad: How the hell he could have the neck to make a statement like that? when it was proved what a complete and utter waste they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

One of the tabloid papers did a quick calculation during the week

Ya lost me around about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Ryanair isn't the size of the government.

The best example would probably be IBM or Intel who both pretty much employ a small country of employees.

I work for a multinational which has ~75,000 employess.
    This year we are cutting costs by 1 billion euro which will result in a cut in the workforce of 5,000. This is from a starting position of cost consciousness being an ingrained working culture and where every cent is accounted for.

Not even factoring in that the public sector is not nearly as cost efficient or obsesssed as a starting position, the equivalent savings in the public sector would result in public sector numbers droping from by ~20,000 to ~300,000 and cost savings of 4 billion. I would hazard a guess though that given the starting position of the public sector, our CEO would find 8 billion of cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

blast05 wrote: »
    I work for a multinational which has ~75,000 employess.
    This year we are cutting costs by 1 billion euro which will result in a cut in the workforce of 5,000. This is from a starting position of cost consciousness being an ingrained working culture and where every cent is accounted for.

Not even factoring in that the public sector is not nearly as cost efficient or obsesssed as a starting position, the equivalent savings in the public sector would result in public sector numbers droping from by ~20,000 to ~300,000 and cost savings of 4 billion. I would hazard a guess though that given the starting position of the public sector, our CEO would find 8 billion of cuts
    Conservatively, at a guesstimate, I think you could probably cut a hell of a lot more than that if a full analysis was done on what part of the public sector were needed, could be merged with others, changed their IT systems, reduced publiciy and marketing costs, brokered better deals (as a large group of companies rather that seperate entities) etc etc.
    The main thing you would find however is that a large proportion of these cuts would have a direct knock on effect to the amount of money being paid out from Public Sector to Private Sector companies.
    That said, I would prefer a more streamlined Public Service and better support given to startup and existing Private Sector companies in order to generate employment and growth.

Can anyone breakdown the 100k or 250k to keep prisoners and what that is versus what other countries spend?

Kippy

I was listening to Noel Dempsey on Matt Cooper there a few weeks ago. When he was asked about the voting machines fiasco he actually tried to claim that the money wasted on voting machines was money well
    spent:eek: Claiming we should ask the people of meath what they thought of them :rolleyes: Hearing that nearly made me sick:mad: How the hell he could have the neck to make a statement like that? when it was proved what a complete and utter waste they were.

how much did the electronic voting machines cost overall frm purchase to people bitching to a review to deciding they were worthess?

i would be very very very suprised if all that added up to more than 5million

lets say its 5million

so 20billion deficit......people bitching about 5 million???? hmmmm rag tops looking for a heading v's people who know what it will take to fix the country...yes the goverment needs to change no bitching about ****ing e voting will not make a damn bit of difference at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

7500 e-voting machines, bought at a cost of €51m, have cost a further €3m to store in an air hanger in Co Meath and various locations.

The Department of Environment is expected to incur further costs when it begins the process of buying out leases of up to 25 years, which were arranged by local election returning officers. It has also admitted that in some cases, there were "close relationships" between the returning officers and those they awarded the contracts to.

In Monaghan, the returning officer signed a 25-year lease to store e-voting machines at an annual rent of €25,828 on premises owned by her nephew.

In Cork, the city's returning officer took out a 10-year lease to store the machines in a building he owned himself, while the Dublin city returning officer also took out an annual lease on a building owned by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

It probably would be a less if the government didn't buy land from the mates of fianna fail, for hugely inflated prices. eg thornton hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fianna Fail are total brass neck,gombeen,parish pump politicians what do people expect electing these gobsh1tes?,they are political mice not statesmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

how much did the electronic voting machines cost overall frm purchase to people bitching to a review to deciding they were worthess?

i would be very very very suprised if all that added up to more than 5million

lets say its 5million

so 20billion deficit......people bitching about 5 million???? hmmmm rag tops looking for a heading v's people who know what it will take to fix the country...yes the goverment needs to change no bitching about ****ing e voting will not make a damn bit of difference at this stage

They cost a bit more than €5 million overall.Try €60 million and thats before you add in storage and all those costly reviews that you talk about. Anyway that is not the point. The point is it was waste. I was trying to point out the brass neck of Dempsey to claim they were money well spent. Of course its only a splash in the ocean in comparison to the 20 billion deficit. I wont deny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

According to the Sunday Tribune today, the Central Bank and Regulator are to spend €8m on new offices in Dublin docks, and rent will be €2.5m per annum.
    The Central Bank and the Financial Regulator are to spend almost €8m of public money on a fit out for new offices in Spencer Dock in Dublin's docklands. A spokeswoman for the Financial Regulator confirmed that the lowest tender was not chosen for the job.
    The head of the Central Bank, John Hurley, is one of the best paid central bankers in the world. He earned in excess of €345,000 in 2007, more than European Central Bank president Jean Claude Trichet, US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke and Bank of Japan governor Masaaki Shirakawa.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/mar/01/central-bank-and-regulator-to-spend-8m-on-new-offi/

In light of the current recession, this seems like a considerable waste of public money. With pay cuts, levies, higher taxes etc. shoved down our throats, it is totally hypocritical, to say the least.

Advertisement