Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

• 26-02-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Quote:
    The ship is fast filling up on Sci Fi Channel's Stargate Universe, with Lou Diamond Phillips (Numbers, La Bamba) and Alaina Huffman (Smallville's Black Canary, Painkiller Jane) being the latest additions to the crew, TVGuide.com has learned exclusively.
    Phillips has been cast as Colonel Telford, a lifelong military man who becomes the chosen leader when a starship's crew inexplicably finds itself aboard an ancient vessel, locked into an unknown course.
    Huffman, meanwhile, will play Tamara Johansen, a strong-willed — if inexperienced — field medic who will need to rise to the occasion to treat the seriously wounded.
    Phillips and Huffman join previously announced cast members Robert Carlyle, Justin Louis, David Blue, Jamil Walker Smith and Brian J. Smith.
    Stargate Universe is expected to premiere in October.
    cant wait biggrin.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is Stargate Voyager 90210?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Sci Fi Channel's newest Stargate incarnation has added two more crew members.

ER vet Ming-Na and Smallville grad Elyse Levesque have come aboard Stargate Universe, sources confirm to me exclusively. The pair join previously announced recruits Robert Carlyle, Lou Diamond Phillips, Alaina Huffman, Justin Louis, David Blue, Jamil Walker Smith and Brian J. Smith.

Also Brad on youtube talking about SGU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65WEaRKAWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

im very worried about this show - i posted on gateworld but would be interested in having a discussion here as well

"this show it will be a team of young, inexperienced people who get trapped or something? basically going to the destiny or whatever is not supposed to be a long range mission. They arnt planning for one and are not equipped for one - right?

If that is the case we can assume they are in now way equipped for a long term mission - so im hoping there will be good continuity in the show - im thinking the main cast will start to look - simply put terrible by 1/2 way though the first season. Shaving foam, hair gel, soap deodorant cant be standard issue in SG personel backpacks on standard missions.

Will they keep the charactors looking "hot" or will the show be realistic in that without cleansing products the characters appearance should deteriorate as the show progresses (Ala BSG - look at season 1 and look now it shows, also remember how they looked in ealy season 3?) The show had a element of realisim to it that allot of shows lack.

If SGU is going to be grittier, more dark than other SG series do you think it will be reflected in the cast. if the destiny was designed as a unmanned ship im not expecting stocks of ancients shower gel... "

Also think ammo - will they still have bullets come mid season or just Zats or some anchient weapon?

"Im worried about the show in that it is supposed to appeal to a new audience and all, and for me its the small things that will make it a better show, i mean every time SG teams go out on short term mission do they take razors with them? if not even a 2 second scene in episode 4 or 5 with one of the guys shaving with a knive - and thats it.

Small little things to make the show that little bit more. it wont annoy anyone and it will make it a little bit more realastic (i know its a scifi show but you know what i mean) "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Those are the kind of details I wont think of until they are pointed out most of the time, but then they bug the sh!t out of me. And you're right, in BSG they really kept your interest by making the Real Life details part of the Plot - Water, Food, Fuel. SGU should follow the same. I know Stargate is really much more episodic but a little itty bitty extra continuuity wont hurt anyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd love to see it, but I imagine they'll go more the way 'Voyager' did where they'd keep destroying their shuttles despite having only had a few when they left. They'll probably have some form of machine to create food, or somesuch, so that they won't need to worry about that either.

As to other equipment, like shower gel - I don't think even BSG went that far! Sure even now they still seemed to find cigarettes. Then you could ask do people ever get new clothes or.. think about it too much and you'll find flaws there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hitman76

This is Stargate Voyager 90210?

More like space 1999 don't you think..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I haven't looked at the official site, just picked at Wikipedia and seen posts on [other] boards and on here. I'm not in the least bit excited or interested in SGU. The initial premise sounded reasonable, team finds Ancient ship that goes around the universe seeding planets (I assume they mean putting human lifeforms and Gates on them...?) then I started hearing the "rumours" young cast, darker/gritter than previous series, and I lost interest ... then when they cancelled SGA I just got spiteful about SGU LOL

I dare say I'll end up watching just for the heck of seeing what's going to happen, but I have to echo what User45701 has said [above] as to concerns about the little things ...

Of course my apathy is based on what happened in Seasons 4 and 5 of SGA, I'm hoping SGU has a different creative team behind the wheel and will steer it (argh puns!!) in a better direction than the crash course SGA was on (darker and grittier doesn't mean turn the lights of and let people swear/fight with each other!)

Another problem I'm having is that SGA was cancelled in favour of SGU due to the high cost of SGA, [SGU would be cheaper to produce] so where are they getting the money from for high profile cast members, plus new [outside of BC] locations from?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

what is this Stargate Universe?
    A new Stargate series, about time.LONG LIVE STARGATE
    JACK O NEILL KICKS ASS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

I just cant wait to see how many cameo's from the original shows they try to cram into the pilot episode. Im guessing perhaps an Amanda Tapping or Michael Jackson along with Beau Bridges and obviously Walter on gate-duty!
    Any further guess's?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

I want to see the furlings. One of the four great races, Ancients, knoxs, Asguard and the furlings
    Were they ever seen at all?
    Plus Valla. She's so sexy it hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ah, not Stargate Voyager - Stargate Galactica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

<< still not feeling very enthusiastic about it ... :(

Definitely going for the BSG audience then - no real surprise with that show now gone (yeah, I know we've got "Caprica" but that's going to be quite different).

I'm relatively positive - I do hope they don't go too dark though and keep some of the show's trademark humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It'll probably have a dark-minded hook for the pilot alright, to catch fans in Galactica-Withdrawal. But no doubt it will stay true to Stargate's MO, which has always been a mix of serious, ponderous, and fun. But yeah, dark is something stargate never really has been, and it could work out.

As for the cast eh. I'll won't hold my breath. But then Tricia Helfer was a greenshirt too when she started on BSG. And I didn't have any hope for Col. Shepard either (or McKay, and I'm very ashamed of that), So I could be pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im looking forward to it simply because il have something new to dl and watch when im hungover :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    Isn't that the same as the trailer above? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

I was completely ignoring SGU until I saw that teaser, and with some real heavy weight thesps on board, I like the direction they seem to be going.

Anything they steal, style-wise, from BSG can only improve the series.

It would be great if they threw out the fluffy episodic plot format of SGA and went with a character driven show, with one main series (or even multi-series) story arc. With Carlyle and Philips they have the talent to do just that.

It's just a pity that we seem to have the Jack-Bauers-mate-Robert-Carlyle, would have been great craic to see Begbie in space.

Just noticed the first batch of Season 1 Episode titles:
    Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Time, Life, Justice, Space

• Advertisement

Oops, never even looked at the clip above. The news site that reported it said it was a brand new exclusive clip.

Face palm, red face, etc. etc.

Still, I think its looks pretty good.....

James74 wrote: »
    Just noticed the first batch of Season 1 Episode titles:
    Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Time, Life, Justice, Space
    Yeah they're going with one-word episode titles as far as I know (like "Smallville" as bad as a comparison as that is).

All they need in there is Wind and Heart, and they'll have enough to summon Captain Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

All they need in there is Wind and Heart, and they'll have enough to summon Captain Planet.

Lmao, that's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

im getting worried - the new trailer last night. The only real commenti have is that i hope the music in the trailer is not from SGU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hah, that last trailer makes it look like The OC in Space.

Oh dear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

Well appearently both General O' Neill and Daniel Jackson will appear in the series. I think Jackson is suppose to appear in the pilot episode and O' Niell is suppose to be in the sixth episode called "earth". Maybe they found a way to communicate back home?

I am slightly worried about this new series and they way they are trying to make it appear. For example, the directors and producers say that they want to make the series darker and grittier yet at the same time they seem to want to reach out to a youger audience and promote it that way. I think they are pulling themselves in opposite directions a bit here.

The best thing about this so far is Chief Diamond Phillips who kicks ass but remember when Atlantis started and they got Robert Patrick to star? He lasted all of 2 hours!

Advertisement