Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

I am quit disapointed by SGU too so far, ok it gets a bit of BSG style, darkness, stupid christian references - let's pray together bla bla (Typically american), I mean why not, but has been seen before. For a new serie, not very exciting.

Also there are some non senses, like the famous seat in the ship they discovered, that they don't know how to use. Bloody hell SG1 and Atlantis guys know how to use this seat to pilot the ship. Why nobody from SG1 mentionned this. So there is a big story around the seat now, so stupid. Even so they probably do not have the required DNA to control it...At least they should know it.

Other than that actors are pretty good, which saves the show a bit.

I am gonna continue watching them for sometime, we shall see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Bloody hell SG1 and Atlantis guys know how to use this seat to pilot the ship. Why nobody from SG1 mentionned this. So there is a big story around the seat now, so stupid. Even so they probably do not have the required DNA to control it...At least they should know it.
    Ah but this is a different kind of seat; one that drills into your head in order to interface :eek:. Also Destiny predates the DNA restriction so thats not something they'll have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

JohnK wrote: »
    Ah but this is a different kind of seat; one that drills into your head in order to interface :eek:. Also Destiny predates the DNA restriction so thats not something they'll have to worry about.

Oh I might have missed that part then
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,628 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Oh I might have missed that part then
    Cheers
    :rolleyes: I was gonna say!

They spent 2 or 3 episodes discussing why they werent going to sit down in the damn chair. It was a central plot point even.

Are you sure you werent watching a Knight Rider 2009 rerun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I personally love the new series. I got sick of SG1 way before the end, before the Oni story even. It just started to get really bland and daytime soapish. Atlantis was a bit too camp even if it did pick up after a while.

The decision to make SGU in such a completely different manner to the other 2 (3 including that crap cartoon) is the most welcome breath of fresh air the franchise has gotten since, well... ever! I much prefer the more dramatic tone with less focus on aliens and more on survival and the enemy within the group.
    Loved the whodunnit ep
    I wasn't so big on the whole exploration thing in the other series'. I hope they run with the survival theme and if they have to do exploration, stick to the ship for now. The thing looks massive and its what the series is all about, not the planets.

If aliens are introduced I wonder what they'll look like. Weren't all the human races in the other ones there because the Ancients put them there or somesuch? Surely that can't apply to the planets the Destiny will visit since its a forerunner for the Ancients.

Im displeased that we have to wait so long for the next episode but hopefully they can keep the tension up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

I hope when we do see an alien or 2 its not humanoid, maybe a bug or sea urchin type. Even a fish in a ship full of water would be cool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It would be great if they can't understand any aliens either. If an Alien starts speaking English I'll be pissed.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Well, they already met the water/dusty/sand type aliens that were drinking all the water...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Well, they already met the water/dusty/sand type aliens that were drinking all the water...

But it would be nice to see an interactive alien that has learned to use tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

GSPfan wrote: »
    It would be great if they can't understand any aliens either. If an Alien starts speaking English I'll be pissed.:mad:

Actually it would annoy me if they didnt speak English because that's the way it has been in stargate and i'd see it as a continuity issue..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bajingo wrote: »
    Actually it would annoy me if they didnt speak English because that's the way it has been in stargate and i'd see it as a continuity issue..
    Ah but you could say that the cultures they've visited previously were generally seeded by the Ancients and so had English whereas these new ones were untouched and therefore shouldn't speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

ixoy wrote: »
    Ah but you could say that the cultures they've visited previously were generally seeded by the Ancients and so had English whereas these new ones were untouched and therefore shouldn't speak English.

The difference in likelihood between random aliens speaking perfect modern English and humans somewhat related to Earth 1000s of years ago speaking perfect modern English is negligible.

DingChavez wrote: »
    The difference in likelihood between random aliens speaking perfect modern English and humans somewhat related to Earth 1000s of years ago speaking perfect modern English is negligible.
    Not if their vochal chords, etc. are different.
    However, it's true there's a very broad range of languages and their structures (there's a very good article recently from the Economist on this). Even if we take that there was a standard base, with no influences from other cultures, you'd still expect a little diversion over the millennia. English here has - our Modern english would not have been around the time the Ancients set off.

Let's just say babel fish and be done with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

This can't be good - the writers are turning to the audience for direction.

http://io9.com/5459054/stargate-universe-writer-asks-for-your-help-with-the-new-season
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/january-26-2010-haggis-rewrites-and-the-soliciting-your-opinions/
    So, as we prep for the show’s second season – and keeping in mind you haven’t seen the more action-oriented back half of season one – I’d like to know:

1. Which character would you like to see explored more?

2. What aspect of the show would you like to see exploited more?

3. What aspect of the show would prefer to see minimized?

4. What was your favorite “story moment” from the first half of SGU’s first season?

5. What element (I’m leaving this one wide open) would you like to see added to the series as a whole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Sound to me he's just looking for a bit of feedback which I think is a good thing. Can't hurt to know what your target audience wants to see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If they take a limited amount of feedback from the fans (and I'm emphasising the word limited there) then it could be good. The problem is there'll be loads of retards asking for the goauld to make a big appearance and for o neill to get stuck on the ship some how or some stupid shít like that.

I dunno - it's a ploy that could work really well if done correctly. For example, the overwhelming thing people want to see (by feedback so far) is less of the communication stones. We've said as much here - so wouldn't it be good if this, at least, feeds into the second season?

None of them. Think we need to dial down on the character depth.

That round thing.

Kino vision and those Stones.

4. What was your favorite “story moment” from the first half of SGU’s first season?
    The recharge.

5. What element (I’m leaving this one wide open) would you like to see added to the series as a whole?
    The ship being turned around and travelling back the way it came, encountering an enemy who it has previous history with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Could you imagine a more in depth episode on Chloe - personally I think I'd scream. I can see it now - Chloe has the perfect privileged life with Shooter McGavin as her dad until one day they get stuck on a rust bucket somewhere in the universe! *Moan moan moan - whine whine whine*. To be honest the only character I like is Rush because I cannot predict what way he'll go (I'd HATE to be stuck with him on a ship).

I'd rather see the characters as they are on the ship (maybe with a few aptly placed flash backs) for S1. Make them seem mad and then in S2 show what brought them to that point. S1 should have more about the ship & technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

chloe and wray, chloe is a strong individual, we know this cause her father said it was she that convinced him about the universe project, so she has strenght, but weve yet to see it
    and wray is the most senior person on destiny by a mile, but is barely visable,

the destiny itself, and maybe that part of the universe

the drama romance of earth, and the drama romance of chloe,

hard to say which is weird cause i the other 15 series of stargate were easy to pick out good, but this show is still so unstargate i havn't got a bearing for it yet,

better comradre amongst the crew, more sci-fi stuff, a bit of stargate humour wouldnt do the ratings any bad, just suptle things make all the difference, OH and a lot lot more stargate travel

• Advertisement

The ship being turned around and travelling back the way it came, encountering an enemy who it has previous history with.
    I disagree with this one. Because Im begining to wonder: The Destiny could have launched in Any direction. Why This direction? Where is it headed in such a hurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If it turned around then its just going to become Voyager.

Overheal wrote: »
    I disagree with this one. Because Im begining to wonder: The Destiny could have launched in Any direction. Why This direction? Where is it headed in such a hurry?

Well we seen that the Destiny zig zagged its way away from Earth. (Think its Earth) Can't remember exactly why.?? I think the history of the Destiny is the most fascinating thing about the show.

If it turned around then its just going to become Voyager.

Ah if you just make broad comparisons then Atlantis was kinda like Deep Space Nine. I think we have to accept that any show about a ship very far from home is gonna be like Voyager. Sure I've seen a Klingon bathleth in an episode of SG-1 so I don't think the Producers are afraid to borrow ideas from Star Trek.
    I have a feeling that will happen. What else would they do if they gained control of navigation??

Well we seen that the Destiny zig zagged its way away from Earth. (Think its Earth) Can't remember exactly why.?? I think the history of the Destiny is the most fascinating thing about the show.
    I zig zag on my way home to thanksgiving but thats zigging to gas stations and zagging to take a piss.

Destinty has to do a small bit of detouring to touch base with galaxies and the energy it draws from them along the way. Helps to seed some gates too.

If its entire directive where to seed gates and expand the Alterran Empire so to speak, why not work in a spherical plan of some sort? why a straight line out into who only knows where? They only built one of these Ship-Groups (plus gateships)

180px-Flightpath.gif
    Sure I've seen a Klingon bathleth in an episode of SG-1 so I don't think the Producers are afraid to borrow ideas from Star Trek.
    Pics?

Can't find pics of the Batleth in stargate yet but its in the episode THE OTHER GUYS where 2 scientists try to be heroes and save SG-1 when they are captured. Dr. Phlox from Enterprise is one of the scientists so I imagine its there as an in joke or something. Think I read its season 6. Its displayed over a Goa'oulds throne on a ship. I caught a glimpse of it and Googled it and found pictures at the time.

608_khonsu_throne.jpg

Smallest picture I could find :pac:

You can just about make it out above his head. The blades are pointing towards the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Overheal wrote: »

If its entire directive where to seed gates and expand the Alterran Empire so to speak, why not work in a spherical plan of some sort? why a straight line out into who only knows where? They only built one of these Ship-Groups (plus gateships)

180px-Flightpath.gif

Pics?
    but did they only build one, at one stage we thought there was only one gate, then only one galaxy seeded, now whos to say theres only one destiny, why would you develope such a technology and only build one ship, sure they built at least 2 atlantis class ships, and they were citiy size ships, surely they developed the tech later and maybe sent out more advanced ships,

also trapped far out in space with no way home is what sci-fi is, its not specific to just voyager,

If they do gain control of the navigation then a logical decision at the moment would be to turn the ship around and head back but who knows what else they'll find out when they get access to the Puter.

They could find some planet like Icarus where they will try gate back. They could really do anything they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

not much going on here..

BUT! when is season 2 out in usa??

just watched season 1 ep 20(i think, the Incursion (Part 2)),on the web.

god dam it!! its a 3 parter!..nooooooo

anyone know when its out? ep1 season 2??

m.

Advertisement