Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

So it's atually going to be Battlestarsliders Voyager 90210?

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes but the serial episodes seems to be an attempt to mimic BSGs formula.

This show will not last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Yes but the serial episodes seems to be an attempt to mimic BSGs formula.

This show will not last.
    the thing is, syfy generally dont go for shows that are as bad as people are making this out to be, this show will expand on the stargate universe, it will be serious without being to serious, and it will also have just the right amount of fun,

i just cant wait to see how there gonna make any caracter as good as rodney mckay, still sad they didnt carry him over,

this will go for 4 years guaranteed, how many shows have syfy picked up that didnt get a fair go of it, and atlantis was the first syfy original show that went past 4 years, so i really hope universe will beat it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

One of the gay characters is a main character and has been confirmed as the chinese IOA operative girl who name I cant remember, ming something! (the mercilless :D)

Oh and Gateworld ran a poll about how long fans think the show will go on for and most fans said 5 years (enough for syndication in the US)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I think it looks pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Smallville fans know her as Black Canary, but Alaina Huffman is ready to serve up another formidable femme, on Stargate Universe.
    In a video profile promoting the new series, Huffman sums up her Stargate character, 1st Lt. Tamara Johansen, as a medic who is "quite skilled," yet not without her insecurities.
    Understandably, such insecurities are only magnified when the SGU team is flung to the far reaches of the universe, without a way home.
    "The whole experience for everyone is overwhelming," says Huffman. "There is a lot of stress." But showing a chink in a tough gal's armor is largely what drew the actress to this role.
    "I typically play really confident, ass-kicking characters," she says with a smile, "so it's nice to have that inner struggle."

Stargate Universe premieres this October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TIGER BUMP BUMP BUMP bump bump bump bump bump....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

October 2nd at 9PM ET - that's the date and time for the second spinoff.

also for anyone with access, Hulu released Season 5 over the weekend of SG1. More to follow. 1-4 have been available for a while now. they seem to get released every 4-6 weeks or so.

• Advertisement

Brand new longer trailer! Shows the destiny and averything! RDA is in the trailer. I think it looks incredible now!

Link!!!

Looks fantastic though the use of music at the end was a bit out of place. Some familiar faces in tehre also, Christopher McDonald and Justin Louis to name but two.

music was a bit out of place. but then I think back to SGAs 100th where they broke the rule there too, where every other installment of Stargate has been purely instrumental. Maybe it will just be a trailer thing. Or they will try to pull a few watchtowers.

im excited now anyway. i knew i would be by the time i saw a finished product.

I like the new gatespin. I would not at all be surprised if it was in loving memory to Dean S Davis.

"I am the General and I want it to spin!"

Those look like Asgard Battlesuits too. The Ship itself looks inspired by Battlefleet Gothic Necrons. And my god its nice to see what they can do when they consolidate their 2 show budget into one big one. Probably with extras on top.

OT: just saw a transition on sci fi (eg. You are watching scifi etc) which basically showed Amanda Tapping will be getting that 2nd season of Sanctuary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it looks kind of awful.

SG1 actually was a semi-intellgient show. This just looks like Popcorn stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DaithiOSe01

The preview looks good. The first episode will make or break the series. Every series has to start somewhere!

When in the fall is it coming out? Or is that Fall '09 in the US so we'll have to wait another undisclosed period of time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i really want to like sanctuary, cos tapping is a babe... but i just can't handle that excuse for an accent

• Advertisement

Its October 2nd 09'

Did Michael Bay make that trailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

looks cheesy and cool (which is stargate), the part where there recruiting eli i assume will have more dialoug,
    i think RDA needs to shed a few pounds if he plans on traveling through the stargate for more adventures though:D
    the jury i still out, but im still not seeing any reason i wont like this show, if its true to the stargate mythology id say ill be a fan,

6 weeks so?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Did Michael Bay make that trailer?
    Nah the dialog/explosions ratio wasn't quite right but the music fitted (terrible choice in the trailer).

I'm hopeful because we saw glimpses of the geeky humour with the recruited nerd - the show should never be BSG po-faced.

• Advertisement

I think it's going to very much be BSG clone and if they try to mix those elements with the current Stargate formual, it'll be a disaster.

If they try to re-invent the formula, it just won't be Stargate.

Atlantis quickly descended into the realm of generic sci fi and became about as solid as Andromeda. If this show continues in that direction and the writers continue to allow studio interference, then don't expect much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

That glass I was talking about has gone from half empty to half full.
    This is starting to look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

That glass I was talking about has gone from half empty to half full.
    This is starting to look good.

Well put!
    I have to say, the trailer does look very 'Michael Bay'ish, but with that being said, it looks pretty stunning visually.
    It may end up being a lot closer to Battlestar Galactica than the original series, in that there appears from the trailer to be a lot more action and less of the veiled comedy and sarcastic remarks veteran SG fans have come to expect.

If i'm honest, from that trailer, it feels as though they may be resting on that young male character for most of the comedy initially, however, it was the same story with SG-1(O'Neill's sarcy remarks) and SGA(McKay's arrogance coupled with his awkward social behaviour) in the beginning.

Still, big budget explosions along with the talented Stargate writing staff and a host of great cast should give us SG fans something we can be happy to embrace, and hopefully induct new SG fans with it's new direction.

Trailers are supposed to look good.

Regardless of the show or product they're pimping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Two things struck me when I watched that trailer
    1. It looks visually stunning and a lot darker than the other series which I have to say makes a nice change
    2. **** me RDA has gotten old :eek:

JohnK wrote: »
    Two things struck me when I watched that trailer
    1. It looks visually stunning and a lot darker than the other series which I have to say makes a nice change
    2. **** me RDA has gotten old :eek:

I know!
    I had to watch it twice to convince myself it was him!:confused:

Well he hasn't been a series regular since what? 2004/2005?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trust you to defend him - he's a fat load.

The sunglasses used to be cool, now they're just hiding his fat face.

noodler wrote: »

Everything about him is cool! Forever!

Maybe hes going for the Plump Hammond Look in his old age.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

That's not a defence.
    He looked the same on his guest stints in Sg-1 and Atlantis.

Anyway, anyone would look fat standing next to Junkie Carlyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It looks like a take of batle star galactica and star get in one i dunno about any one else but i cannot wait to see this :D

apparently lesbians are involved.

I honestly dont know how to feel about that. I mean on the one hand "yay lesbianz" but on the other hand, its stargate, and does stargate really need to go there?

Overheal wrote: »
    apparently lesbians are involved.

I honestly dont know how to feel about that. I mean on the one hand "yay lesbianz" but on the other hand, its stargate, and does stargate really need to go there?

Maybe they can have one of the male crew turn them straight and go where no man has.. oh wait wrong franchise.

The only thing that I'm really interested in finding out right now, is who attacked the Icarus base and why.

The only thing that I'm really interested in finding out right now, is who attacked the Icarus base and why.

Not to knock the writing staff of SG, but i have a strong feeling it will be a random surviving Goa'uld, but possibly could be a residual faction of the Lucian Alliance. This presumption is taken from the fact that the Icarus base is attacked by a fleet of Ha'tak motherships, transport Al'kesh and Death Gliders, leading us to the conclusion that the remaining Ori armies residing in the milky way are not to blame.
    Another possible explanation is replicators. We know from season 7/8 that replicators are capable of taking over Goa'uld vessels, and the writers do have a certain affinity for replicators.
    ...I'm just going to throw this out there...Ba'al clone!
    The writers do love how convenient it is to have infinite Cliff Simons to use, because the fans just love him.

Other than that...renegade Jaffa that are against having relations with Earth...I just don't know.

If you have any other idea's, let me know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It will be interesting to see how they manage to keep everything together without having a big bad race of evil aliens to contend with. I'm sure we'll see the Wraith/Goa'uld/Replicators at some stage, but i wonder will they introduce an overall nemesis race at some stage like previous shows.

Kiith wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how they manage to keep everything together without having a big bad race of evil aliens to contend with. I'm sure we'll see the Wraith/Goa'uld/Replicators at some stage, but i wonder will they introduce an overall nemesis race at some stage like previous shows.

from what i've seen and read, the first few episodes(at least) will be mainly focused on the decaying condition of the ship, and the possible enemies within their own ranks.
    As for long-term enemies, as is the case with both other shows, it's generally the humans at fault when it comes to finding enemies.
    The SGC pissed off the Goa'uld bigtime, and Daniel and Vala practically handed the Ori a galaxy full of humans to convert.

Atlantis were even worse!
    Awakening the wraith was bad enough, but then rescuing the damned replicators, and GIVING them Atlantis! Clever people there!

I have a feeling that a team of SGU will travel to a planet with a highly advanced society, whose government will be ruled by a powerhungry dictator, begin to pursue the ship as it travels through space, in hopes of retreiving it's advanced technology.

They bring it on themselves really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

So let me get this straight

Lesbians
    Star Gates
    Jack O'Neil
    Space
    Lesbians

Sounds like a good mix :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You forgot the Lesbians :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Kiith wrote: »
    You forgot the Lesbians :P

Did I ?? :rolleyes:

Damn, you can never have enough lesbians.

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    This presumption is taken from the fact that the Icarus base is attacked by a fleet of Ha'tak motherships,

Well that's my point kinda.
    There are so many good options to choose from, I wonder what crap we'll get in the end.
    Also, I just think it's funny, that in the pilot of the new show, it's the small, insignifigant bridges back to the previous show that are grabbing my attention.

Also,
    apparently, the Deadalus ship the beam onto, is the George Hammond, helmed by Carter.
    Another attachment to the previous series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Quilly

i hear the series is meant to be heavily character based like battlestar, but i dont know will that will work for the stargate franchaise. But i'm intrigued to see how the writers will work it. i'm looking forward to the new series, and i hope everyone else is

Yeah...Battlestargate Universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

• Advertisement

Webisodes... bleh.

Ive got $5 now that says at some point they will encounter a 3rd sect of Asgard

And replicators.

Maybe Asgaurd replicators.

Overheal wrote: »
    Webisodes... bleh.

Ive got $5 now that says at some point they will encounter a 3rd sect of Asgard

Furlings!

They can't just mention them ten years ago and just NEVER show us!

(and before any smartasses decide to pull up '200', those furlings do not count!)

And replicators.

Maybe Asgaurd replicators.

...maybe Asgard replicators with symbiotes!
    ...maybe Asgard replicators with symbiotes that feed off human life force!
    ...maybe Asgard replicators with symbiotes that feed off human life force who ascended to a higher plane of existence!
    ...maybe Asgard replicators with symbiotes that feed off human life force who ascended to a higher plane of existence, and retook human form as Robert Carlyle!

If i'm right, i'll die happy!

Scandal!
    A Stargate Universe casting call has sparked the fires of internet rage for its description of quadriplegic character Eleanor Perry, who "possesses" Ming-Na's lesbian character Camile Wray, then turns her straight.

A casting call was leaked out via Spoiler TV for the new Syfy series Stargate Universe looking for an actress for the role of Doctor Elanor Perry. The description of the character use some pretty poor choice words to describe the quadriplegic character's body, including the term "useless," and hints that she's asexual because she's disabled:

Linky

This better be bloody good....

• Advertisement
Advertisement