Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nice. :D

Maybe they can have one of the male crew turn them straight and go where no man has.. oh wait wrong franchise.
    OMGWTFPROPHET :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Looks like sky 1 will only b 3 days behind the us as its been anounced sky will air on oct 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

User45701 wrote: »
    Looks like sky 1 will only b 3 days behind the us as its been anounced sky will air on oct 6th

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I've seen the trailer and I already hate it.

1) - Cast, they look like wimps, not soldiers. And isn't SG meant to be Military Sci-Fi?
    2) - Setting, it's a complete knock off of Voyager. And I'm not saying that lightly, A ship and it's crew, lost in space, trying to get home.
    3) - Melodrama, Shakespeare got it right lads, did he have jokes in his tragedies? Yes he did, and that's what made them great, Melodrama makes everything crap.
    4) - Romantic Subplots, I've got no problem with the way they had them in Atlantis/SG-1, they were fairly believable and they didn't take up too much of the episode. This pile of crap seems like one of those stupid Female Teen Dramas.
    5) - I like Stargate... not BSG. This is jut BSG with the Stargate thrown into the plot.
    6) - Aiming at a younger audience. I'm 15, were you aiming for somebody older then that? 18? Well that was the the younger group of the old audience.

I will still keep an open mind. But if I'm right about this... epic fail. Bring back Atlantis I say(I'd prefere SG1 but that's been on for a while, and people are seeming to have gotten tired of it).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

cypharius wrote: »
    This is jut BSG with the Stargate thrown into the plot.
    Thats really not a bad thing.

cypharius wrote: »
    I've seen the trailer and I already hate it.

1) - Cast, they look like wimps, not soldiers. And isn't SG meant to be Military Sci-Fi?
    2) - Setting, it's a complete knock off of Voyager. And I'm not saying that lightly, A ship and it's crew, lost in space, trying to get home.
    3) - Melodrama, Shakespeare got it right lads, did he have jokes in his tragedies? Yes he did, and that's what made them great, Melodrama makes everything crap.
    4) - Romantic Subplots, I've got no problem with the way they had them in Atlantis/SG-1, they were fairly believable and they didn't take up too much of the episode. This pile of crap seems like one of those stupid Female Teen Dramas.
    5) - I like Stargate... not BSG. This is jut BSG with the Stargate thrown into the plot.
    6) - Aiming at a younger audience. I'm 15, were you aiming for somebody older then that? 18? Well that was the the younger group of the old audience.

I will still keep an open mind. But if I'm right about this... epic fail. Bring back Atlantis I say(I'd prefere SG1 but that's been on for a while, and people are seeming to have gotten tired of it).

1) Part of the cast, if not most, is made up of scientists and civilian administrators.
    2) The cast of SGU are NOT the 'crew' of the Destiny. They are merely transported aboard and have to fend for themselves. Voyager was all about the journey home, SGU is about the struggle to survive.
    3) Not 100% here on what exactly you mean, but previous SG series have shown us that great comedy can arise from dramatic situations. I believe that no matter what the producers say, they will still retain the edgy, sarcastic sense of humour that SG fans have always enjoyed, in some form at least.
    4)Yes, why it'll be just like The Hills...except in space...with aliens, guns, futuristic technology, and badass Robert Carlyle! I think we have someone here who purely wants to watch things blow up and then hear a quip about said explosion...is that you Michael Bay???
    5) The only real thing that BSG and SGU have in common at the moment is the budget. BSG was given a massive budget, wheras for years stargate had a considerably smaller one, but still made it work. And now you're upset that SGU will become just like BSG because the producers have more money? The producers know what the fans want, and they know that if fans see too many changes in the SG template, fans will probably react negatively. This brings me onto number:
    6) The SG franchise has a very loyal fanbase, but it is time to bring in some fresh blood. The younger audience they want to bring in IS your age!You are only 15, so you are as old as SG itself! The younger audience is to bring in people your age who have never watched SG. I honestly think it's great that they're doing this with the new series, because it's really what was intended with SGA initially. Now the producers have a better idea of what direction to go with the franchise, and i hope it works out translating well onto the show.

You really mustn't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case, a show by it's trailer. The trailers are to rope in the new fans, because every SG veteran fan is going to watch SGU initially anyway. The show is there for the fans to enjoy, and i intend to enjoy every second longer the Stargate franchise remains on our screens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a review of the first two episodes up here. Not too many spoilers in there but be warned none the less.

ixoy wrote: »
    There's a review of the first two episodes up here. Not too many spoilers in there but be warned none the less.

...must resist!
    ...must...not...spoil!!!;)

• Advertisement

its not out...?

Overheal wrote: »
    its not out...?
    Review copies are. They need to warm up the critics.

ye sorry my bad i had well expected one of them to leak it by now

I think maybe we should leave spoiler discussion to the other thread.
    I'm becoming increasingly scared of reading this one.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not long now campers...

Season pass on iTunes!
    Pretty reasonable and HD available.
    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/09/sgu-season-pass-now-on-itunes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

When is Stargate Universe starting?

Edit: Just seen oct 6th.

fingers crossed we get the first 3 episodes early next week.

i really didnt think it would take this long to get leaked but one of the kits is up on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Stargate-Universe-Hardcover-Book-SGU-Syfy-PRESSKIT_W0QQitemZ170384463250QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27abb49592&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hopefully someone will upload that - for those of you who have read reviews of the first 3 epsidoes do you know if they are missing CGI?

theres over 3 days left on the bid then it will need to be shipped so even if it does get uploaded mid next week that'l be The end of september only a few days before it actually airs. Wouldnt be worth watching without fill CGI only a few days before it airs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i'd say they will be up a few days before they are on tv, but lets face it. they will more than likely wont have any cgi on the. i dont think its worth it for a new show.

if it is only going to be a few days wait for a decent copy i would prefer to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

trailer was so so , obvious BSG plot in it . I actually think this would be a decent show if they ditched the traditional stargate humor and quirks.

It's worth waiting for the final cut I'd imagine. Sci-Fi are big into this series and really want it to succeed so the finished product should look great. From the buzz, it's their biggest push for a show since BSG launched.

id wait myself if it was oly a few days but the seller on speculates there might be cgi missing. have any of you read reviews that mentioned it or comented on cgi?

I've waited this long, I think i'll manage a few more days even if it leaks at this stage.

Start the countdown Sgt. Harriman.

T-Minus 6 Days: Chevron 1 Encoded.

250px-Chevron.JPG

Start the countdown Sgt. Harriman.

T-Minus 6 Days: Chevron 1 Encoded.

250px-Chevron.JPG
    Isn't the show set in a different galaxy? So shouldn't you have started it eight days for the eighth chevron? :D

• Advertisement

SILENCE. It'll start in the SGC so we're dialling 7 through a solar flare to bring us the viewers back to that wonderful dimension where all of this crap goes on - the dimension of television. Ah bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Anyone know where I can find the robert carlyle interview that was on sky this morning? Had a look on the website but can't find it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find the robert carlyle interview that was on sky this morning? Had a look on the website but can't find it....

This it?

Oh yeah: Chevrons 2, and 3 Encoded

/lazy.

1-601566-5178-t.jpg
    chevron_closeup_1280_1024.jpg

SILENCE.

All i heard was Apophis yelling silence to O'Niell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Say it ain't so!:(:(
    From Gateworld.net

Two DVD sets for SGU Season One?

Season One of Stargate Universe may be arriving in two separate DVD sets, GateWorld has learned.

“Stargate Universe has been tons of fun so far in the first half,” DVD Special Features Producer Ivon Bartok told us in an exclusive interview this week. “And this year what we’re doing is a little bit different. As far as I know, we’re going to be doing volume one and two DVDs.

This falls in line with a separate tidbit GateWorld received earlier this month.

Bartok’s special feature line-up indicates that the first ten episodes will be released in Volume One, while the back ten — premiering on SyFy in 2010, will follow later. This has become a popular trend for shows that air two chunks per season.

Seasons two and three of Battlestar Galactica released the first volume of DVDs just prior to the airing of the second half of the season, to help build anticipation and allow viewers to catch up. If this holds true for Universe, we should expect to see Volume One of Season One hit store shelves just before the second half of the season premieres in 2010.

There is no word yet on whether the 3-hour pilot of “Air” will be released as a standalone DVD like the SG-1 and Atlantis pilots.

“What we did for the DVD special features for the first ten episodes was to create 30 two-minute pieces and try to give us a really broad spectrum of things to cover,” Bartok told us. “We’re developing the strategy for the back ten right now. So, I don’t have the information I’d love to give you, but there’s definitely going to be a bunch of stuff on the back ten. And ultimately on the back ten, too, we want to expand the narrative a little bit.”

It appears Season One of SGU will have a sizable assortment of special features no matter how the sets are released!

Link

I hate when shows do this as the boxset is usually way overpriced for half a season! Should be 1 season = 1 box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ixoy wrote: »
    Isn't the show set in a different galaxy? So shouldn't you have started it eight days for the eighth chevron? :D
    no stargate universe uses the 9th chevron, so it should be a 9 day countdown
    sgu_chevron.jpg
    chevron 6 encoded for us launch, 3 for ireland:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gateworld wrote:
    Seasons two and three of Battlestar Galactica released the first volume of DVDs just prior to the airing of the second half of the season, to help build anticipation and allow viewers to catch up.

Yeah allow viewers to empty their pockets twice more like it.
    This activity would actually encourage me not to buy the dvd.

Yeah allow viewers to empty their pockets twice more like it.
    This activity would actually encourage me not to buy the dvd.

If they readjusted the price accordingly then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I know that for Supernatural season 4 part 1 was 27 euro and part 2 was 28 euro in town. While hardly cheap the previous full seasons in the same shop was 60 euro so it's not that bad when you consider it. Personally I would jsut wait a few months for it to drop in price, I know I paid 13 euro for season 3 of Supernatural a few months after it was released.

Anyone who buys TV on DVD on R2 deserves what they get most of the time. The R1 releases are generally a hell of a lot cheaper and more often than not sport much better extras. I know I got Supernatural season 1 and 2 for 30 each both of which were preorders.

someone else takeover the dialup ive been working all work and have been totally negligent.

someone else takeover the dialup ive been working all work and have been totally negligent.

If i remember, ill do tomorow's when i get in from my drunken adventures tonight!

Well Walter fell asleep at chevron 3. Damn that Walter.

feck every time i see new post in the stargate fourm i think its someone going "Its out! ITS OUT!" i was so wrong about that being leaked 3 weeks ago - i am amased noone did considering reviewers got them and i keep thinkinh it will be leaked - all 3 eps so we dont have to wait to see the 3rd one next week

Screw that, my cable provider finally got their handshakes straight - meaning I finally have Sci Fi in HD. Even though, Sci Fi is now calling themselves SyFy....WHY?!!

When I see the pilot, its gonna be in 720p :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

User45701 wrote: »
    i am amased noone did considering reviewers got them and i keep thinkinh it will be leaked - all 3 eps so we dont have to wait to see the 3rd one next week

Not too bothered by no early leaks TBH - I want to watch in HD anyway and early leaks are usually standard DVD quality at best so... Can't wait for Saturday though :). This is the longest I've gone with no new Stargate to watch in quite awhile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

We've come a long way when we can make comments like "Standard DVD quality at best". ha :)

I sure miss the days when I rented pirate video's from a guy who drove a hi-ace full of them around the area every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

It airs tonight in the US right?

token56 wrote: »
    It airs tonight in the US right?
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

GSPfan wrote: »
    We've come a long way when we can make comments like "Standard DVD quality at best". ha :)

Well, we do have standards (and a lot of bandwidth) :).
    GSPfan wrote: »
    I sure miss the days when I rented pirate video's from a guy who drove a hi-ace full of them around the area every week.

Wouldn't he have to peddle Blu-rays or whatever that mad Chinese HD format is instead these days?...

lol i remember downloading an episode of ds9 on a 33k modem though outlook groups back in the day (am i allowed to say that?)

id watch sgu now on vhs quality and without the sfx finished - im not a audio/vidio phobe - last night myself and my mates where watching and i didnt cop it but i had been looking at my 19" monitor on the table for an hour (the movie was playing on the 42" in the corner)

i didnt even notice. i really dont care about quality/sound onces its not cam i will watch - i dont even mind out of sinc if its a talkie but it can be annoying if its action/horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

chevron 8 engaged
    stargate_universe_gate_room.jpg

im getting to **** outta here,
    Walter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Cant wait!

the new direction, looks very promising

:)

I'm in miami and the tv is solidly booked for 9pm tonight on channel 70 syfy for to watch this :)
    Can't wait !

no posting feckin spoilers during the adds!

ixoy can you delete the other topic since the poll was aimed at all 3 parts being released :(

• Advertisement

YOU FUCXKING PADDIES ARE ALREADY WATCHING ITR?> WTF IFNHDSIKND)NG NDFJ)DB>:N UZNmbjlk. shybvISD;iSDNGKEBN Liu b imstillatworkits2pm :(

Advertisement