Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh yea I get what he was saying, but what I was saying was that the way I see it, the safety mechanism only prevents the Destiny from going into FTL for a few seconds (minutes at most) because it doesn't take 38 minutes for something to pass through the Stargate so it would be obvious that the safety mechanism keeps the wormhole open for a few seconds while something is coming through the stargate.

I'm basing this off the fact that if you watch the part in the 3rd episode where Eli has his hand through the stargate and the countdown hits zero, the ship starts shaking as it's preparing to go into FTL but waiting a few seconds for something to pass through the Stargate. You see that Eli just makes it through the stargate as the wormhole is closing which suggests that Destiny was going to go into FTL if whether he went through fully or not at that point.

Ya get me?
    (Skip to 2:27)

<Youtube Vid>

Damn! That's musics good, em what .....uh....yeah de da de dum dum ...ahem yeah FTL ah de da de dum dum de da de dum dum arghh dammit!!!

*Post Coming Soon*:p

Wormhole disengaged when Eli was through isn't that the way it always was?Like don, though I think they'll find a way to override that timer.. or who knows maybe as a dramatic twist when trying to hack it Mckay accidentally changes it to ten minutes

Dam Music is stuck in my head now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

please dont openly discuss spoilers in a non spoiler thread. use tags. we have an FTL thread for that talk.

Attention passengers: we will shortly be arriving at our next stop. Please don't unfasten your seatbelts or create artificial wormholes until the craft has come to a complete stop.
    We know your choice between dying quickly and dying painstakingly slow is not an easy one and we are honored you chose long and painful. The time at our destination is 7:51 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

has the recession hit so bad that they have ran out of lighting?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

has the recession hit so bad that they have ran out of lighting?????

uhm latest episode is called "Darkness" which is all about loosing power and "Air part 3" is quite bright as they are in middle of desert

Attention Passengers. It has come to our attention that some recent turbulence has knocked out the air condition, so we're going to be heating things up for you by passing through a coronosphere real soon. Kinos will be around shortly to hand out beverages, please try and make yourselves comfortable. I regret to inform you that we have however, run out of Ginger Ale.

The time at our next destination is 5:59PM.

Further to the myth that they added a 9th Chevron:

Season 7. Seems abundantly clear.

normal_sg1_716_098.JPG

Of course there was season 1 which is less clear

normal_sg1_105_826.JPG

Season 2 theyre covered with a tarp:

normal_sg1_214_906.JPG

Theyre very pale and hard to see here at the end of season 4: but theyre there.

normal_sg1_422_282.JPG

Season 5 covered up 2 potential spots with clamps.

normal_sg1_510_161.jpg

they were always there like the producers always had a peg for the 9th chevron, but were never really sure what to do with it. They were for the most part careful about only showing 7 chevrons whenever they could get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

This StarGate picture was taken in from the film in 1994, If you measure the space between the chevrons you will notice that it 2 hidden below the ramp makeing it 9 chevrons in the film.

stargatesg1051509.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Jester Race

Very unimpressed by this new series, I watched SG-1 religiously, and Atlantis every now and then great shows. This is just taking the pish, wheres all the mythology gone? Someone said it perfect in an earlier post... "Voyager 90210" hehe

After watching the first two episodes I can safely say I've no desire to watch anymore, sad in a way as I had my hopes up for this

• Advertisement

Very unimpressed by this new series, I watched SG-1 religiously, and Atlantis every now and then great shows. This is just taking the pish, wheres all the mythology gone? Someone said it perfect in an earlier post... "Voyager 90210" hehe

After watching the first two episodes I can safely say I've no desire to watch anymore, sad in a way as I had my hopes up for this

Yet you had to come to a StarGate forum to share this with us. Universe ****s all over Atlantis and most of the early SG1. So far anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

theres only somuch mythology you can tap into, plus as you said this is an entirely new series based in the stargate universe,

the funny thing is that stargate wasnt intended to be as funny as people found it to be, but it also remains fairly serious throughout SG-1, atlantis was more of a fun series than SG-1, now were getting a more serious toned show, but i dont think its a tap on BSG for seriousness, bar scott humping everything in sight theres no 90210 dramaness, and TBH i cant even find any kind of relation to voyager bar them being far from home, and thats a basic enough sci-fi element not a voyager element,

my question is why cant earth get a ZPM or equivelent power source, then hop from one galaxy system to another untill they reach the system destiny is in, then everyone can just head back through the gate, no need for a hugh power source to do it in one jump, just have the smaller one to do say 50 jumps

don ramo wrote: »
    theres only somuch mythology you can tap into, plus as you said this is an entirely new series based in the stargate universe,

the funny thing is that stargate wasnt intended to be as funny as people found it to be, but it also remains fairly serious throughout SG-1, atlantis was more of a fun series than SG-1, now were getting a more serious toned show, but i dont think its a tap on BSG for seriousness, bar scott humping everything in sight theres no 90210 dramaness, and TBH i cant even find any kind of relation to voyager bar them being far from home, and thats a basic enough sci-fi element not a voyager element,

my question is why cant earth get a ZPM or equivelent power source, then hop from one galaxy system to another untill they reach the system destiny is in, then everyone can just head back through the gate, no need for a hugh power source to do it in one jump, just have the smaller one to do say 50 jumps

How would they find out the Address's of the gates in the galaxys Destiny has already passed through?

How would they find out the Address's of the gates in the galaxys Destiny has already passed through?
    there all in destinys main frame, sure didnt they show a map of destiny journey to where it currently is, all they have to do is jump ship on a planet, relay the corordinates to earth, and wait it out, or maybe just wait on destiny, but youll have to know where it will be when you get to the galaxy it is in, as its moving its adress will constanly change, or make lots of midway stations and use a macro:D,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm 50/50 on the series. I'm a hard science fiction fan who appreciates Stargate: Universe paying attention to real physics. There are still a bunch of huge factual omissions and errors, but the writers are at least trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Loving the new series , favourite character is Eli ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just watched the 1st few episodes of SGU and I LOVE it! Its brill. Col. Young is my fav character. Im not sure if I like rush though. he is a bit nuts like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Been thoroughly enjoying Universe so far.

Anyone know what ratings it's getting in the US?

Wouldn't want it getting cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

This StarGate picture was taken in from the film in 1994, If you measure the space between the chevrons you will notice that it 2 hidden below the ramp makeing it 9 chevrons in the film.

stargatesg1051509.jpg

Have a look at this video of the promo reel from the Stargate movie. Link here At 1 min 30 seconds, there is a full frame of the stargate and it has 9 chevrons. But that is subjective as it could be a ring platform. So at 3min there is the bit where they raise the gate. In different sections you can see chevrons at the bottom too as well as around the gate.

Again at 10:15 you see the gate again. At a point when the lights flash, you can count 9.

So looks like it always had nine, just that they never showed them.

i wonder: are these web clips region locked too?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/105361/stargate-universe-no-idea#play-all

i liked this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Overheal wrote: »
    i wonder: are these web clips region locked too?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/105361/stargate-universe-no-idea#play-all

i liked this one :)

"Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States" :(

the clips might be on scifi.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Because then the series would be over in about 6 episodes.

They explained that the planet the gate that dialed Destiny was unique, the gate was wired into the planet its self drawing its power from the planets core.

And who says every planet that a gate is on is safe for humans? Or even if theres gates in every single galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

How do you get the zpm through the gate while it's being used to power the inter-galactic wormhole?

Plus, the IOA wouldnt relinquish a zpm to just save a handful of people.

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    How do you get the zpm through the gate while it's being used to power the inter-galactic wormhole?

ah never thought about that, just have 20 of them so :D, leave them where you left them, that way when you come back its already set up,

Gareth-W-A wrote: »

they didnt say that they said tie it into a ship. The Daedalus class (BC-304) is already outfitted with a ZPM interface.

Im sure at this point though, they must realise if it takes a few days to hit atlantis with one, how long would it take to reach Destiny? We arent entirely sure how far out it is. Or for that matter how much power a ZPM would consume over such a long distance. Im not even sure Earth has one to spare. I totally lost track.

Choose to go on the assumption that gate travel is far more energy efficient if you will, though. Im sure if they could power up a 9 Chevron dial, they would. Any rescue attempt by conventional hyperspace would need at least as much power. Taking into the consideration the size of the vessel, shields, life support, etc. and all these other nigglies that probably make Gate Travel a much cheaper option by direct comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

they didnt say that they said tie it into a ship. The Daedalus class (BC-304) is already outfitted with a ZPM interface.

Im sure at this point though, they must realise if it takes a few days to hit atlantis with one, how long would it take to reach Destiny? We arent entirely sure how far out it is. Or for that matter how much power a ZPM would consume over such a long distance. Im not even sure Earth has one to spare. I totally lost track.

Choose to go on the assumption that gate travel is far more energy efficient if you will, though. Im sure if they could power up a 9 Chevron dial, they would. Any rescue attempt by conventional hyperspace would need at least as much power. Taking into the consideration the size of the vessel, shields, life support, etc. and all these other nigglies that probably make Gate Travel a much cheaper option by direct comparison.

they should just switch to bord gais for the power supply, its 10% cheaper you know

Not to mention the fact that even if they did have ZPMs etc, they have no idea where Destiny is!
    Im at college so its being recorded on the auld sky + at home, so Im about 2 weeks behind.
    So Im just assuming they still have no idea where they are like.

It wouldnt be back in pegasus. spoiler tag that reference.

No I very much doubt Atlantis has the energy left to return to Pegasus, and the IOA much less the inclination at this time.

Either way, on the Atlantis score, a recent Joe flannigan interview seemed to suggest DVD sales were on hold due to recessionary times. But, if you want to give SyFy a reason to greenlight an Atlantis movie to find out what happens next, I do advise buying a box set at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SarahBM wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that even if they did have ZPMs etc, they have no idea where Destiny is!

The people on destiny know where abouts they are. They could use the stones to tell the sgc about the co-ordinates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

but then again they could also use the worm hole jmp that makay came up with in the final serous of sgA.... but then again why do that when we can watch a serous :D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rob Mc

BEST.STARGATE.EVER!

Rob Mc wrote: »
    BEST.STARGATE.EVER!

Bit soon to tell in my honest opinion.
    But that's just me.

but then again they could also use the worm hole jmp that makay came up with in the final serous of sgA.... but then again why do that when we can watch a serous :D ?
    Hmmm.

I've got to remember to reply to this post later. Youve got me gears turnin.

The people on destiny know where abouts they are. They could use the stones to tell the sgc about the co-ordinates.

Like I said Im behind. I didnt know that the people on the Destiny knew where they are.
    I'll have to avoid this thread until I catch up! :D

But tonights episode has Jack in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hmmm.

I've got to remember to reply to this post later. Youve got me gears turnin.

:pac:

but they used the last of the zpms unless they come across like 3 of them but tbh i think trying to think of ways of a rescue destany and the crew are fruitless... what want to know is what are they going to do next as in are there going to be aliens ???? :D

now i remember what i was thinking. Im not sure they can do it.

There were some Unique Gates in both the Milky way and the Pegasus Galaxy: Icarus, Atlantis, And the original Earth Gate (now owned by the Russians on loan to the SGC). Icarus was created/purposed to dial Destiny/create outgoing wormholes only; the Earth Gate was capable of Dialing other galaxies (wether this is true of all of Milky Way gates, I dont know) And is also apparently intended to be the gate from which they would originally dial Destiny. Atlantis was definitely unique. Wether the gate was re-engineered that way or not, the Ancients deliberately made it the only gate which could dial Earth, due perhaps because of the threat to the wraith.

The real question then is are any of the version 1 common gates capable of dialing outside of a local gate network at all?

• Advertisement

No control over the ship. i'd be inclined to assume.
    Possibly power issues, or perhaps the ship is simply too outdated technologically speaking.
    Anyway, none of the scientists on board that appear to want to leave the ship, not including Eli, appear to posses any useful scientific skills whatsoever, barring that one guy that dials the gate to feel important.

The Wormhole Drive was largely experimental iirc and Retro-fitted into Atlantis' design by the Ancients, likely in the last years of the First Seige. It would have only existed on Atlantis (The Ancient's last great technological marvel), and Destiny well pre-dates it, likely by a factor of Centuries or Millienia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Arsonist wrote: »
    wondering if a proper storyline is coming in like a race of deadly aliens who want to kill them

Hopefully not! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

They said there won't be one overall big bad alien race throughout the series.

Tbh, I'm really, really liking the series so far. You can really see they are going for deep character development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Teferi wrote: »
    They said there won't be one overall big bad alien race throughout the series.

Tbh, I'm really, really liking the series so far. You can really see they are going for deep character development.

well it kinda hard to have one big bad aliens considering they will be jumping to new galaxy every season or so

They might end up meeting a baddy who chases the destiny across the galaxy's for some reason to get the ship or to extract revenge. Who knows!

I wonder will they adopt an alien along the way. Some new meat for the team. Preferably someone bald, with muscles.

• Advertisement

Possibly hostile forces board the ship, and due to it's "80%" inaccesibility, they cannot reach them and have to figure out some way to get them off the ship.

that probably wouldn't last very long though.

Just a thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GSPfan wrote: »
    I wonder will they adopt an alien along the way. Some new meat for the team. Preferably a chick with nice breasts, long legs and a preference for walking around in the nip.
    Fixed that for you :P

LOL. Tricia Helfer is available.

tricia-helfer-fhm-sexy_0_0_0x0_600x794.jpg

the wiki page episode list is now a Spoiler warzone. Dont return there if you dont want half of the season plotlines ruined for you :)

Mid Season finale in 2 weeks, owing to Thanksgiving then the forthcoming holiday season.

I can definitely see the viewership dropping off if they dont finish off strong and dont come back from the break even stronger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement