Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Rubbish. The whole thing is rubbish.
    Robert Carlyle can do ten times better than that muck.
    Get a load of good looking blonde twenty-somethings and build a storyline around them.
    General Hamond is spinning in his grave. As for Robert, he'd be better off going back to Hamish McBeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

SGU,BSG or Voyager - too many similarities.The story is too dark,grainy looking footage and far too much blood :(

Where is Jack O'Neill when you need one :rolleyes:

hes in episode 3 again...

Rubbish. The whole thing is rubbish.
    Robert Carlyle can do ten times better than that muck.
    Get a load of good looking blonde twenty-somethings and build a storyline around them.
    General Hamond is spinning in his grave. As for Robert, he'd be better off going back to Hamish McBeth.

is there so better sci-fi on tv nowadays that im not aware of?

moaning people like you are responsible for countless good shows being canned and nothing good being on tv...

Have you not seen the new Mork and Mindy?
    It kicks ass!!!!!
    Mork finds a portal to a new galaxy, which was built by the ancients.
    But it turns out Mindy's a Jaffa!!!!!
    BRING BACK JACK O'NEILL. WE NEED IRISH BLOOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i must admit im not liking this new series............. way too much like a mix of lost and battlestar galactica

i cant see this last more than 3 series before it gets scrapped if it contiunues this bsg/lost style of jumping back n forth in time for each character and the dark n gloomy setting of the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i must admit im not liking this new series............. way too much like a mix of lost and battlestar galactica

i cant see this last more than 3 series before it gets scrapped if it contiunues this bsg/lost style of jumping back n forth in time for each character and the dark n gloomy setting of the ship.
    i dont really recall body swapping in either lost of BSG, and ive watch both up to date, it was classic stargate, go through the wormhole and explore the planet for something to help them out,

it may have a bit of BSG tone, but it clearly is not BSG,

the swirling sand could have been a lifeform investigating the new people on the planet, of it could have been scotts imagination, the only time jumping was in part 1 of the pilot (im not a fan either and was happy it stopped after the first part), and scotts wasnt time jumping it was showing his memories of the priest that raised him, caracter development is vital in lots of shows, but stargate is only now starting down that path now, its not a lost plot device showing caracters past, shows have been doing that for decades, its just lost uses it a lot and to good effect,

so bar the small BSG tone i see no relation to either lost or BSG, this is stargate, and as long as there going through the stargate regulary thats what the show will be, and this show will be very stargate centric seeing as theres no way earth can reach them by ship, so they have one ship, which they cant leave cause its there only way home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I was a massive fan of Stargate the Movie and SG1, following it religilously on Channel 4 and then Sky since the pilot., never got into Atlantis as it felt too flashy for me and the characters were very much one dimensional SG1 clones in my opinion.

Downloaded SG:U parts 1 to 3 in HD on Apple TV and I am completely hooked. The sets, the props and the characters feel like SG1 offshoots and the storylines thus far have been engrossing.

This show has the potential to be what I hoped for in Atlantis and long may it continue.

The comparisons to BSG are fair and pretty obvious, as someone who found that show very dull I think SG:U could be BSG only good!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Points well made above - 'Lost' didn't invent the concept of flashbacks. It made them an integral part of the show but having a character use a flashback in another show is not a copy of 'Lost.

Similarily having a dark angle or being lost is not something that BSG or Voyager invented, in the same way as '24' did not invent the split-screen view. These shows just made such heavy use of them that it appears anyone else is using them when in fact they copied the concept from elsewhere and just used it as a story-telling mechanism or concept in the same way as 'Voyager' did.

Sure let's say 'Stargate: Universe' is copying 'Citizen Kane' which pioneered many directorial flourishes and also had flashbacks - Rosebud!

It's what SG:U does with the tools and basic premise that distinguishes it and given the premise and tools are only a very simple story framework, there's nothing to suggest that using them will make it a clone of any of the shows above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

ixoy wrote: »
    Points well made above - 'Lost' didn't invent the concept of flashbacks. It made them an integral part of the show but having a character use a flashback in another show is not a copy of 'Lost.

Very true. But Lost took the idea and repeated it so often as to make it virtually a "Lost formula". Take a character at a dramatic point in their life; then flash back to the past and show an important episode in their past, some event that changed their life or someone they knew; before coming back to the present where suddenly their actions and motives are clear. Next episode, pick a different character, rinse and repeat.

I hope SG:U isn't going down that road; I find it makes watching an episode very, very tedious. It's like reading a hugely important, dramatic sentence in which something is just about to... - but first, let me tell you something about my childhood, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah - ... go BOOM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

i don't like this 12 hour countdown idea.

I had read about it a while back and didn't like the idea of it then, still don't like it.

I can just see far too many eps ending with them just getting back in time.

I actually liked the idea, but they've already solved this one. Just poke something through the stargate (oooh err) and it'll stay open indefinitely. Funnily enough I was just wondering the same when Rush suggested it in the show.

My guess is they'll have to close that little 'loophole' if they want to keep the 12 hour idea in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I have been watching this online and on Sky .... dam its class.
    Feels more grown up, deeper and edgy. I mean the pilot killed off someone I thought was going to be a long standing character, the end of air part three really was tense and that wasnt for some ancient weapon it was simply so they could breath!

My heads wrecked from wondering what the shuttle like craft flying away from Destiny was at the end of air part3 and will we see the other two mogs who went through to the locked out address from the desert planet????

Excellent stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

who_me wrote: »
    I actually liked the idea, but they've already solved this one. Just poke something through the stargate (oooh err) and it'll stay open indefinitely. Funnily enough I was just wondering the same when Rush suggested it in the show.

My guess is they'll have to close that little 'loophole' if they want to keep the 12 hour idea in the show.

AFAIK it doesn't stay open indefinitely. You'll notice that the ship was beginning to jump into FTL in the last few seconds while Eli was holding it open and that Eli made it through the Stargate by the skin of his teeth as the wormhole was closing as he came through.

AFAIK it doesn't stay open indefinitely. You'll notice that the ship was beginning to jump into FTL in the last few seconds while Eli was holding it open and that Eli made it through the Stargate by the skin of his teeth as the wormhole was closing as he came through.
    a wormhole can only remain open for 38 minutes regardless if an object is in it, the only way to break that rule is it give the gate a massive amount of energy,

who_me wrote: »
    Very true. But Lost took the idea and repeated it so often as to make it virtually a "Lost formula". Take a character at a dramatic point in their life; then flash back to the past and show an important episode in their past, some event that changed their life or someone they knew; before coming back to the present where suddenly their actions and motives are clear. Next episode, pick a different character, rinse and repeat.
    actually highlander the series used the idea way before lost, every episode had flashbacks and they always related to what he was doing at present, so lost stole there flashback heavy tool from highlander, who stole it from someone else and on and on and on,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Watched the first three episodes last night. I might be wrong, but it seems that every 5 minutes the show cuts to overly dramatic "sad" music in some kind of mini-montage. I swear, one of them could drop their keys and end up being on screen for ages just looking sad with that crappy music playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well, it's early days yet but ....

BOY has this been worth the wait*...brings we back to when SG1 first began and it would have been perfect before the
    fact that I didn't recognise O'Neil on two ocassions what happened to that guy:(

Good stuff SGU keep it up :)

*Now is as good as time as any to confess that I hadn't really high hopes for this:o

don ramo wrote: »
    a wormhole can only remain open for 38 minutes regardless if an object is in it, the only way to break that rule is it give the gate a massive amount of energy,

But if I remember from Atlantis, A gate's co-ordinates or something have to be re-configured when the Gate is moving through space to account for it's location (Like when they were flying Atlantis through space and couldn't get to a planet because they didn't know where they were and couldn't re-programme the Stargate). When Destiny goes into FTL, the Stargate on the desert planet would lose it's lock on the stargate and the wormhole would close.

But if I remember from Atlantis, A gate's co-ordinates or something have to be re-configured when the Gate is moving through space to account for it's location (Like when they were flying Atlantis through space and couldn't get to a planet because they didn't know where they were and couldn't re-programme the Stargate). When Destiny goes into FTL, the Stargate on the desert planet would lose it's lock on the stargate and the wormhole would close.

Yeah that's true but Destiny was prevented from going into FTL because of Eli's hand, don was merely saying that even if they could use this all the time it would only allow the explorers at most 38 minutes.

destiny tried to enter FTL, the whole ship started shaking, which didnt happen when it first entered FTL when they arrived, if the ship drops out of FTL when an incoming wormhole is activated surely it wont enter if theres one already active, where is the ship in such a rush to anyway,

im gonna assume they find a way to turn off the timer, theres obviously a control room on the ship, and there must be away to control it, although the ship is probably so big it could take 6 months if not longer to find the main control room, the ancient hardly built a ship with an autopilot that cant be turned off

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yeah that's true but Destiny was prevented from going into FTL because of Eli's hand, don was merely saying that even if they could use this all the time it would only allow the explorers at most 38 minutes.
    Oh yea I get what he was saying, but what I was saying was that the way I see it, the safety mechanism only prevents the Destiny from going into FTL for a few seconds (minutes at most) because it doesn't take 38 minutes for something to pass through the Stargate so it would be obvious that the safety mechanism keeps the wormhole open for a few seconds while something is coming through the stargate.

I'm basing this off the fact that if you watch the part in the 3rd episode where Eli has his hand through the stargate and the countdown hits zero, the ship starts shaking as it's preparing to go into FTL but waiting a few seconds for something to pass through the Stargate. You see that Eli just makes it through the stargate as the wormhole is closing which suggests that Destiny was going to go into FTL if whether he went through fully or not at that point.

Ya get me?
    (Skip to 2:27)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Malty_T wrote: »
    and it would have been perfect before the
    fact that I didn't recognise O'Neil on two ocassions what happened to that guy:(

It's called getting older buddy! I'm sure you looked different when SG1 premeired!

• Advertisement

Oh yea I get what he was saying, but what I was saying was that the way I see it, the safety mechanism only prevents the Destiny from going into FTL for a few seconds (minutes at most) because it doesn't take 38 minutes for something to pass through the Stargate so it would be obvious that the safety mechanism keeps the wormhole open for a few seconds while something is coming through the stargate.

I'm basing this off the fact that if you watch the part in the 3rd episode where Eli has his hand through the stargate and the countdown hits zero, the ship starts shaking as it's preparing to go into FTL but waiting a few seconds for something to pass through the Stargate. You see that Eli just makes it through the stargate as the wormhole is closing which suggests that Destiny was going to go into FTL if whether he went through fully or not at that point.

Ya get me?
    (Skip to 2:27)

<Youtube Vid>

Damn! That's musics good, em what .....uh....yeah de da de dum dum ...ahem yeah FTL ah de da de dum dum de da de dum dum arghh dammit!!!

*Post Coming Soon*:p

Wormhole disengaged when Eli was through isn't that the way it always was?Like don, though I think they'll find a way to override that timer.. or who knows maybe as a dramatic twist when trying to hack it Mckay accidentally changes it to ten minutes

Dam Music is stuck in my head now...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

please dont openly discuss spoilers in a non spoiler thread. use tags. we have an FTL thread for that talk.

Attention passengers: we will shortly be arriving at our next stop. Please don't unfasten your seatbelts or create artificial wormholes until the craft has come to a complete stop.
    We know your choice between dying quickly and dying painstakingly slow is not an easy one and we are honored you chose long and painful. The time at our destination is 7:51 pm.

has the recession hit so bad that they have ran out of lighting?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

has the recession hit so bad that they have ran out of lighting?????

uhm latest episode is called "Darkness" which is all about loosing power and "Air part 3" is quite bright as they are in middle of desert

Attention Passengers. It has come to our attention that some recent turbulence has knocked out the air condition, so we're going to be heating things up for you by passing through a coronosphere real soon. Kinos will be around shortly to hand out beverages, please try and make yourselves comfortable. I regret to inform you that we have however, run out of Ginger Ale.

The time at our next destination is 5:59PM.

Further to the myth that they added a 9th Chevron:

Season 7. Seems abundantly clear.

normal_sg1_716_098.JPG

Of course there was season 1 which is less clear

normal_sg1_105_826.JPG

Season 2 theyre covered with a tarp:

normal_sg1_214_906.JPG

Theyre very pale and hard to see here at the end of season 4: but theyre there.

normal_sg1_422_282.JPG

Season 5 covered up 2 potential spots with clamps.

normal_sg1_510_161.jpg

they were always there like the producers always had a peg for the 9th chevron, but were never really sure what to do with it. They were for the most part careful about only showing 7 chevrons whenever they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

This StarGate picture was taken in from the film in 1994, If you measure the space between the chevrons you will notice that it 2 hidden below the ramp makeing it 9 chevrons in the film.

stargatesg1051509.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Jester Race

Very unimpressed by this new series, I watched SG-1 religiously, and Atlantis every now and then great shows. This is just taking the pish, wheres all the mythology gone? Someone said it perfect in an earlier post... "Voyager 90210" hehe

After watching the first two episodes I can safely say I've no desire to watch anymore, sad in a way as I had my hopes up for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Very unimpressed by this new series, I watched SG-1 religiously, and Atlantis every now and then great shows. This is just taking the pish, wheres all the mythology gone? Someone said it perfect in an earlier post... "Voyager 90210" hehe

After watching the first two episodes I can safely say I've no desire to watch anymore, sad in a way as I had my hopes up for this

Yet you had to come to a StarGate forum to share this with us. Universe ****s all over Atlantis and most of the early SG1. So far anyways.

Advertisement