Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe [May Contain SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Wormhole Drive was largely experimental iirc and Retro-fitted into Atlantis' design by the Ancients, likely in the last years of the First Seige. It would have only existed on Atlantis (The Ancient's last great technological marvel), and Destiny well pre-dates it, likely by a factor of Centuries or Millienia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Arsonist wrote: »
    wondering if a proper storyline is coming in like a race of deadly aliens who want to kill them

Hopefully not! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

They said there won't be one overall big bad alien race throughout the series.

Tbh, I'm really, really liking the series so far. You can really see they are going for deep character development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Teferi wrote: »

Tbh, I'm really, really liking the series so far. You can really see they are going for deep character development.

well it kinda hard to have one big bad aliens considering they will be jumping to new galaxy every season or so

They might end up meeting a baddy who chases the destiny across the galaxy's for some reason to get the ship or to extract revenge. Who knows!

I wonder will they adopt an alien along the way. Some new meat for the team. Preferably someone bald, with muscles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Possibly hostile forces board the ship, and due to it's "80%" inaccesibility, they cannot reach them and have to figure out some way to get them off the ship.

that probably wouldn't last very long though.

Just a thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GSPfan wrote: »
    I wonder will they adopt an alien along the way. Some new meat for the team. Preferably a chick with nice breasts, long legs and a preference for walking around in the nip.
    Fixed that for you :P

LOL. Tricia Helfer is available.

tricia-helfer-fhm-sexy_0_0_0x0_600x794.jpg

the wiki page episode list is now a Spoiler warzone. Dont return there if you dont want half of the season plotlines ruined for you :)

Mid Season finale in 2 weeks, owing to Thanksgiving then the forthcoming holiday season.

I can definitely see the viewership dropping off if they dont finish off strong and dont come back from the break even stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

watched half of episode 9..
    lucky to watch ep. 8...

pity...its a pile of rubbish..

if i wanted to watch coronation street or east enders .....

pity..such a good start...

sg1...was the only real good series...i watched atlantis..but the last 3 seaons were crap..

ah well..

m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

mattman wrote: »
    watched half of episode 9..
    lucky to watch ep. 8...

pity...its a pile of rubbish..

if i wanted to watch coronation street or east enders .....

pity..such a good start...

sg1...was the only real good series...i watched atlantis..but the last 3 seaons were crap..

ah well..

m.

This post is way too depressing!
    This is a happy place!...Let's keep it that way!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

By way of introduction: I was a big SG1 fan in the day, though I lost track of it in later seasons as I felt it lost its way. Not that it was suddenly terrible; just, I no longer identified it as a show I would go out of my way to watch. I watched a few episodes of Atlantis, and dismissed it as camp and poorly acted.

I didn't hear about this one in advance, and I've only caught two of the episodes of Universe so far: Air Part II, which I thought had promise, and Time, which I really liked. On the positive side, the characterisation seems quite good. Time was based on a classic science fiction cliché, but well enough executed that it didn't feel stale. On the negative, I think the dialogue is a little below average (mostly fine, but the odd line just sounds off). I figure there's potential there, and I'm going to keep an eye out for reactions to the show - if it sounds worthwhile, I may pick up the box set at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Teferi wrote: »

ye pity they dont put as much thought into the story details that seem to be lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Yet you had to come to a StarGate forum to share this with us. Universe ****s all over Atlantis and most of the early SG1. So far anyways.

u on tablets!?

universe first few episodes were good. but its gone downhill big time...

if i wanted to watch eastenders or cor. street! i would...

i watched only half the last (ep9 i think)...turned it off..

m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

mattman wrote: »
    u on tablets!?

universe first few episodes were good. but its gone downhill big time...

if i wanted to watch eastenders or cor. street! i would...

i watched only half the last (ep9 i think)...turned it off..

m.

Im just comparing opening sessions not over all shows, (still think universe is better than atlantis) I dont think its really fair to compare Universe to the other 2 in terms of writing. Universe is a hell of a lot darker.

I hated Atlantis, episodes where rushed and it just wasnt very good and the characters where plastic and action figurey.

And while we can look back at SG1 and say it was amazing, it had a lot of very crapy episodes. Luckly they had more better episodes to balance it out in there favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Im just comparing opening sessions not over all shows, (still think universe is better than atlantis) I dont think its really fair to compare Universe to the other 2 in terms of writing. Universe is a hell of a lot darker.

I hated Atlantis, episodes where rushed and it just wasnt very good and the characters where plastic and action figurey.

And while we can look back at SG1 and say it was amazing, it had a lot of very crapy episodes. Luckly they had more better episodes to balance it out in there favour.

its true that universe is dark and deep, but i can see why a lot of people dont like it, go back over BSG, star trek, star wars, and stargate, all series or films or whatever, all had a fun aspect to them (bar BSG), each are set in there own hugh universes with very distinct and diverse caracters in each, they had curious people exploring the unknown, there were bad guys and good guys, and there were sneaky guys, then you had the diplomats interfering in everything,

i like universe and dont mean to bash it, but so far theres a distinct lack of exploring, and bad guys,

BSG had a lot of exploring, they might have been on the run from the start but they were heading into the unknown, while heading back to caprica to rescue people, and all while being chased by the cylons,

star trek had lots and lots of exploring, (people said this would be like voyager, how wrong were they), its also a very fun show to watch, there were loads of comical moments, throughout all the series, and lots if big bad guys, DS-9 being the best, with one enormous story arc,

stargate sg-1/atalantis, were gret sci-fi in my opinion, they were worthy candidates to take on the hold of star trek and star wars, they embodied what sci-fi is, fun to watch and lots of places to go and expieriences to be had, and what took the cake for me is that it was set now, rather than 200 years in the future,

universe would wanna pick a path and quick, either start exploring properly, get some fun in and a few bad guys,

being honest if theres no bad guys the show wont work, if theres no exploring the show wont work, if theres no fun the show will still work, as long as you have the first 2 your sorted,

ill watch universe, but even i have a treshold for bad sci-fi, if the story doesnt pick-up even the die hards wont stick around,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Dont get me wrong, i think Universe has its bad points as well, the Communication Stones for starters and i think theres 2 many sex scenes in it. We dont need to see either every week. Personnaly i think Destiny is the biggest character in the show and need to show more of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Dont get me wrong, i think Universe has its bad points as well, the Communication Stones for starters and i think theres 2 many sex scenes in it. We dont need to see either every week. Personnaly i think Destiny is the biggest character in the show and need to show more of her.
    deffinately, but still there the furthest out any humans have been, destiny has been headin out and out for thousands of years, surely they should explore a bit more, even in early SG-1 the scientist done the science and the military scouted the place out, so far the military are doing science work,

maybe when they get access to destinys core systems they can do more, ive said the first half or universe to far is a bust for me on rewatching, its all caracter building, noting stands out to rewatch, even the pilot, and i generally love pilots, ive watched atlantis's pilot a least 20 times, i love the fun and sense of adventure in it, its a film in itself,

well i suppose in life they found
    the chair
    , and we know they have
    a hydrophinics bay underway
    , so maybe itll start picking up,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 potcwe

I am really losing interest in this new stargate and have tryed so hard to like it but I dont care about any of the charcters there are a lot who agnore me so far the pace of story telling is so slow.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think it's great so far.

They're a very long way from home and I like how they aren't glossing over that. I find it compelling drama watching how they're all dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The main thing the show needs is the stones been involved in an accident.

star trek had lots and lots of exploring, (people said this would be like voyager, how wrong were they), its also a very fun show to watch, there were loads of comical moments, throughout all the series, and lots if big bad guys, DS-9 being the best, with one enormous story arc,
    Then you dont remember how much criticism both DS9 and Voyager, or TNG got when they first aired. Spoiler alert: It was a LOT of criticism.

But they all have Love/Hate opening seasons and then finally flesh out to be awesome. I was definitely a first season hater of Atlantis. 1 word: Rainbow.

Its probably closest related to Voyager. Ish. And if you recall there were a bunch of shoddy character building episodes where they did all this "Oh you're rebel scum, Im a goodie Starfleet pussy" Stuff. But then after a while you started seeing really awesome, well fleshed out baddies like Borg and JemHadar and things really took off.

The only exception I see to any of that is BSG which was only originally meant to be a 3 part miniseries re-visit, got the green light for a series, and I think anyway, played too many of its Glory cards too soon. It had an amazing first and second season but then the tempo slowly faded and you were just glad it was over by the time you reached the 4th season Finale.

Its too early to place bets on Universe. It has an up/down viewership of 2 million which is great for any cable show.

"Time will tell.... Sooner or later.... Time will tell."

• Registered Users Posts: 34 funi1234

did any1 see justice yet???
    not going to spoil it but does any1 have any ideas on what is going to happen with that situation????

funi1234 wrote: »
    did any1 see justice yet???
    not going to spoil it but does any1 have any ideas on what is going to happen with that situation????
    We have an episode thread for justice already,

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055761168

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

After the break brings (according to Robert Cooper quoted in io9):
    The implications of leaving Rush on the planet, the real division that will cause amongst the crew, the judgment of those characters and their actions are going to have a big impact on the show. We have a lot of things planned for the second half of the season... There is a big story point coming up that does introduce an alien race. It's more along the line of a "District 9"-type alien. Our interaction is handled in a very "Universe" way; they're not the typical "Stargate" alien bad guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't know if this has been asked, mentioned or answered already but does anyone know when SGU is coming back to our screens. SkyOne has started to repeat the first episodes. Last night was episode 1 and next week is episode 2. If they keep showing the repeats up till it catches up with the next new episode it'll take 2 months until we see it on TV again.

Anyone know anything?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

stargate universe will return april in the u.s, so my guess is about a week or so afterwards it will return on skyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cheers Thor.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement