Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auxillary Fire Brigade

Options
  • 26-02-2009 3:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im looking to get involved with auxillary bire brigade in Dublin.
    Having abit of difficulty getting in touch though! Anyone have any info to help me or even better anyone in it themselves?

Thanks..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Thread moved from volunteerism to other emergency services recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Aux fire service is managed ubder the remit of the civil defence

Dublins civil defence website ; http://www.dublincivildefence.com/

Recruitment info on that site

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

yeh ive rang and tried to get in touch but no joy they hard to get a hold of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

There were new recruits only taken on recently and there currently still on induction training,supposedly the next recruitment is in may or june

ok thanks, ive sent an email aswell! I have family in the fire brigade but be waiting a while to be gettng in there so the auxillary would be a good idea in the mean time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Hey,

Yeah I'm in the current induction, we're currently around half-way through. I think we're due to be paraded out in May so there probably won't be another recruitment drive until then. I wrote a letter (address on their website) requesting information and they sent me out a small pack and the name of someone to contact.

Not trying to discourage you but the Auxiliary Fire Service is the most popular unit. I hope you get it, but I'd imagine joining the Rescue service would stand to you as well for joining the Fire Service.

Hats off to you though. I'm looking to get Rescue because I think its rewarding but also to help my application to join the Gardai when a recruitment drive finally comes around. Doing something positive towards your goal definitely takes the edge off the wait.

i-digress wrote: »
    Hey,

Yeah I'm in the current induction, we're currently around half-way through. I think we're due to be paraded out in May so there probably won't be another recruitment drive until then. I wrote a letter (address on their website) requesting information and they sent me out a small pack and the name of someone to contact.

Not trying to discourage you but the Auxiliary Fire Service is the most popular unit. I hope you get it, but I'd imagine joining the Rescue service would stand to you as well for joining the Fire Service.

Hats off to you though. I'm looking to get Rescue because I think its rewarding but also to help my application to join the Gardai when a recruitment drive finally comes around. Doing something positive towards your goal definitely takes the edge off the wait.

Well done mate,

Hope all works out for ya! They might think im a stalker if I send a letter aswell but then again I am very interested so nothing to lose I suppose!

maxxie wrote: »
    ok thanks, ive sent an email aswell! I have family in the fire brigade but be waiting a while to be gettng in there so the auxillary would be a good idea in the mean time.

Everyone seems to be in the same boat as yourself,ie hoping to go into a fulltime service at some stage (mostly dfb) hence everyone seems to be going for the afs.

I dunno how it's going to work with the present group as the majority want afs but there being told there's not many places available in it,but then again other groups are supposed to be lacking numbers so it may possibly be to disswade people into those?

@I-digress - how do your combats fit :p

Well done mate,

Hope all works out for ya! They might think im a stalker if I send a letter aswell but then again I am very interested so nothing to lose I suppose!

Are you ringing 01-6772699? Ask for tony,i was only talking to him awhile ago on the above

eireal wrote: »
    Are you ringing 01-6772699? Ask for tony,i was only talking to him awhile ago on the above

Rang the number on their website but ive taken that one ya gave down so fair play il that one a go!

• Advertisement

"@I-digress - how do your combats fit tongue.gif"

They're only gorgeous! :D Little bit on the loose side, and obviously made to fit a male body which I don't have, but my boot my boots fit nicely so I guess it's not all bad! How about yours?

And yeah everyone seems to want AFS...poor welfare! ;)

The boot's are grand but the combats may aswell be leggin's and i think they got confused and handed me out a tent instead of a tshirt!

That'll come in handy if the minibus breaks down on the way to RATRA...

OP, did you manage to get through on that number?

hey, funny you should ask! I tried just there about a half an hour ago! But no joy again. Is there a particular day n time I should be trying!?

I think training for different units is from 8 onwards during the week. So maybe you'd catch someone there. Other than that I think you'll have to keep trying in the hope that you'll catch someone at some point! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

hey, funny you should ask! I tried just there about a half an hour ago! But no joy again. Is there a particular day n time I should be trying!?

The HQ is open office hours, ask for Tony or Bill but you'll be waiting a while for the next intake as you've just missed it. Marino AFS have some places, as do Nutgrove and Blanchardstown. Dublin Central never has places as the crew there are all fairly long serving and senior so you'll be best going for one of the suburban units. Water Rescue is another option (Portmarnock).

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey, anybody know if the AFS is recruiting now? Or can I just apply at any time? Hoping to join the FS in the future, so wanna make myself a bit more desirable :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey, anybody know if the AFS is recruiting now? Or can I just apply at any time? Hoping to join the FS in the future, so wanna make myself a bit more desirable :eek:

I did what civildefence suggested,, rang HQ at Espalande Quay - he said theyre doing the next induction course for Civil Defence in Sept for all disciplines and then you get sent off to causlty of AFS or whatever if you get in. Said they'd ring me back closer the time with a date.

Ring them up, basically. They send you out a booklet yoke in the post straight after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gareth_little

i-digress wrote: »
    Hey,

Hey, how long does it take to complete? I have a 9-5 job, can you work around that or do you have to do it full time? Thx a lot, Gar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

Hey, how long does it take to complete? I have a 9-5 job, can you work around that or do you have to do it full time? Thx a lot, Gar

Ithink the current induction takes six weeks at the moment,i was with the AFS before i joined the DFB and have to say the training you receive is brilliant and would recommend it to anyone with a goal of joining a fire service full time.Most training nights start at 8pm and finish at 11 and take place on a monday,tuesday and thursday depending on which unit you join,nutgrove and blanchardstown have thier training night on a tuesday,not sure bout the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

DFB BOY wrote: »
    Ithink the current induction takes six weeks at the moment,i was with the AFS before i joined the DFB and have to say the training you receive is brilliant and would recommend it to anyone with a goal of joining a fire service full time.Most training nights start at 8pm and finish at 11 and take place on a monday,tuesday and thursday depending on which unit you join,nutgrove and blanchardstown have thier training night on a tuesday,not sure bout the others.
    DFB BOY, what kind of training do they do? :)

Also, is there a fitness test or anything prior to acceptance? I'm dreadfully unfit (strong, but unfit!), so I'll have to work on that

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

Dave! wrote: »
    DFB BOY, what kind of training do they do? :)

Also, is there a fitness test or anything prior to acceptance? I'm dreadfully unfit (strong, but unfit!), so I'll have to work on that

There is no fitness test prior to joining dave,dont worry about not being fit,you will be after a couple of training nights rolling hoses for 3 hours:D.The training they do is what you would expect from any fire service,ladder drills,hose drills,hydrant work,portable pump,search and rescue and fire-fighting techniques.If you want to join a full-time service i would recommend it as a good stepping stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Hi,

I have applied for the above. I am on the January induction list. There is also a induction in September. There are currently over 160 applicants, so getting in seems to be pretty tough!

To find out more, contact : 01 6772699

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

one2one wrote: »
    Hi,

I have applied for the above. I am on the January induction list. There is also a induction in September. There are currently over 160 applicants, so getting in seems to be pretty tough!

To find out more, contact : 01 6772699

Just got a letter to arrange a practical/physical day in advance of anything else at Espalande Quay - anyone know what's involved in this exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 A.F.S

hi to all. i see some of you are having problems getting into the auxiliary fire service. yes you have to ring dublin civil defence h.q and get onto the induction course. im am a sub officer in one of the a.f.s units are we are looking for new recruits. as some may know if you get past the induction you are then giving options of what you want to do and where but you may not get it. if any really want to do the a.f.s then i can help you. you can contact me on 085 7819791 (john). remember you have to do the induction with the civil defence but as i said we have a few spaces for new recruits. i can meet up and have a chat and explain how it all works and so on, thanks john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

sdonn wrote: »
    Just got a letter to arrange a practical/physical day in advance of anything else at Espalande Quay - anyone know what's involved in this exactly?

i'm in the same boat.. anyone any clue??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A.F.S wrote: »
    hi to all. i see some of you are having problems getting into the auxiliary fire service. yes you have to ring dublin civil defence h.q and get onto the induction course. im am a sub officer in one of the a.f.s units are we are looking for new recruits. as some may know if you get past the induction you are then giving options of what you want to do and where but you may not get it. if any really want to do the a.f.s then i can help you. you can contact me on 085 7819791 (john). remember you have to do the induction with the civil defence but as i said we have a few spaces for new recruits. i can meet up and have a chat and explain how it all works and so on, thanks john

Cheers for the info, rang up DCD HQ last week inquiring about joining up. I just got my information pack today with a letter telling me an Induction night will be run for new recruits down the line, and I will hear more info when the dates are set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Can someone tell me is there an age limit on joining the A.F.S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

No, over 16 and under 60!

Advertisement