Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sweet treat...best of the worst?

• 26-02-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey there.
    Am four weeks into Unislim and it's going slowly, but it's going okay. Just wondering - has anybody got any suggestions of what sweet treats out there are low on the unit scale? I know Fruit Pastilles are quiet good...any other suggestions? I try to stay away from sweet things completely - but I would rather know whats the best of the bad things to have on those days when sugar/chocolate is needed :)
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cut up some fruit with probiotic yoghurt or A spoonful of natural unsweetened peanut butter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm not on Atkins in any shape or form but I do like their bars. There's about 12g of protein in them & at least some chocolate & they don't have a high sugar content. Approx 100-120 calories but more satisfying cos of the protein. A bit pricey though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lins_q

An apple stewed with cinamon and sweetner with a fat free vanilla yogurt frozen
    Muller do one or Glenisk ones are gorgeous!

Yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Baked or microwaved bananas/apple: chop and place in little bit of water then cook, could add cinnamon sprinkle or sugar sprinkle on top if being bold ;). Stewed fruit is always a winner , eat hot for dessert, or use little bit cold next morning to liven up porridge or yoghurt. 70% cocoa chocolate, eat 2 squares slowly, leaving them dissolve on your tongue, very satisfying, can also melt it and mix it with milk for healthy-ish hot choc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrs.marchese

ok, i have a feeling you're just like me curio.. determined to lose weight but realistic enough to know that there WILL be times you need some good old junk food so here are a few of my fave low-ish calorie (or ww points in my case) treats!

curly wurly.. 2 and 1/2 points
    malteasers..
    flyte bar..
    kitkat senses..
    ww choc toffee bars..
    crunchie..
    'pink and white' waffer marshmallow things
    'cream pie' waffer marshmallow things!
    eeem... let me think...
    snack a jacks
    cadburys light choc mousse, frozen (like choc icecream)

I know there are so many more but cant think right now!
    i will let u know if i remember any more...
    and by the way everybody, im not a big fat slob that sits home eating all of the above in huge quantities i swear!! haha:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Sugar free jelly.

Egg white chocolate mousse (stir a spoonful of cocoa powder and a little sweetener into a little coffee, then fold into a couple of stiffly whisked egg whites and freeze).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agree with sugar free jelly. I also like to eat a small amount of strong (70% cocoa) dark chocolate with my coffee, as in, I'd split a 35g bar of Lindt or Green and Black's over 2 days. You can't eat much of it in one go because it tastes so rich.

Oh yes, try the small bars of Divine 70% chocolate from Oxfam. Nice dark chocolate, and very small bars. I really hate all these 100g bars of chocolate. An open bar is an eaten bar.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

Hi Im wondering About Crisp. I know most are lethal but if i wanted to treat myself which are the best in terms of not putting on weight?? Snack A Jacks??
    Also what is popcorn like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Lindt 99% ftw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

I'm a bit of a fan of Hula Hoops and Monster Munch. The multipack bags are smaller, so you get your fix for less calories. Hula hoops are 2 WW points and Monster Munch are 1.5, so not too bad :)

Most crisps are processed and salty junk. Some air-popped corn would be ok, but a bit dry without the butter etc.

What about cottage cheese blended with some sugar-free cordial, so it turns into a sort of smooth pudding? Sweet and high protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    I really hate all these 100g bars of chocolate. An open bar is an eaten bar.....
    Yes, same with those damn 400g bags of nuts! polished ~300g of cashew with beers the other night.

I got 5 cadburys fruit & nut for €1.17 in tesco, they were smaller, around 42g. This is a decent size for me, not small enough that I end up eating 2, which can happen with mini or snack size ones.

I make mousse with sugar free jelly, milk & unflavoured whey protein powder.

Just discovered the Aldi 85% chocolate. It looks like a standard bar, but when you open it, you find five 25g bars. 25g of 85% chocolate is about perfect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I've just discovered Lidl Banana Sorbet - 100g for 108 calories (tub is 295grms in total). I only have dessert on Sunday evening, this is my treat with a few frozen berries scattered over the top.

They do a mixed berry, strawberry and lemon flavour too (not tried the lemon but the others are yum but a little higher in cals [but not much higher]).

HTH.

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but I should point out that sorbet is almost entirely sugar. Read the nutrition panel and see if you really want to eat that much sugar in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

I find those Nakd bars that you get in health shops great for when I need something sweet. They are made up of dried fruit, nuts and apple juice concentrate and are Raw. They average about 98 cals for the smaller ones. If you really need chocolate the coco loco one is good! Yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

EileenG wrote: »
    Don't want to be a wet blanket, but I should point out that sorbet is almost entirely sugar. Read the nutrition panel and see if you really want to eat that much sugar in one go.

Accepted but given I have about 50grms on a Sunday only, I feel it's pretty ok if you look at the big picture. From someone who used to have chocolate every single day (and far too much of it), I think 50grms of sorbet once a week is pretty damn good. If I cut out every single thing that had sugar in it, any healthy eating plan would go out the window - moderation in all things as they say!!!!

Now if I was having it for breakfast, dinner and tea that'd be another matter entirely!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

*Honey* wrote: »
    Accepted but given I have about 50grms on a Sunday only, I feel it's pretty ok if you look at the big picture. From someone who used to have chocolate every single day (and far too much of it), I think 50grms of sorbet once a week is pretty damn good. If I cut out every single thing that had sugar in it, any healthy eating plan would go out the window - moderation in all things as they say!!!!

Now if I was having it for breakfast, dinner and tea that'd be another matter entirely!!!

I agree - if you were eatting choc every day then a treat once per week is no harm even if its a bar of chocolate - the way I see it you arebetter off having a proper bar of chocolate once per week than some sort of substitute - just make sure its only an ocasional treat and you might need to review it if you are not getting the desired results!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ladyA wrote: »
    I find those Nakd bars that you get in health shops great for when I need something sweet. They are made up of dried fruit, nuts and apple juice concentrate and are Raw. They average about 98 cals for the smaller ones. If you really need chocolate the coco loco one is good! Yum!

They're delicious, particularly the berry one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

popcorn, with some honey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

9 Bars do it for me. Mostly seeds, with a layer of chocolate on top. Not too expensive either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

if you want to get a sweet hit, then buy some protein bars online, myprotein has some nice ones at a good price. hese bars will give you the sweet taste your after plus other good nutirents

Advertisement