Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D MK II

• 26-02-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey
    Been thinking of upgrading from my 40D,

was thinking of going FF , and had my eye on the 5D II ...

saw on dpreview's review and seems it's JPEG output is a little soft ?

seems bizarre for a 2k+ body only camera ?

I know i can shoot in RAW .. but still, how have current owners found it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't mind DPreview :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

As far as I know the jpeg output is dependent on the picture style (as well as other) settings you have applied in the camera. I'm guessing that dpreview had everything at a default of 0. My 5DII is set to Neutral with sharpness bumped up to 7, everything else at 0. I've never noticed the jpegs being 'soft', but I think I've only ever shot like 2 jpegs on it. It's RAW all the way with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

The 5DMK 11 files are stunning. Places like DP review etc are more and more becoming unreliable and the forums are full of fan boys. I use the camera in RAW all the time and as I have said the files are stunning. The stock agencies I submit to rave about the files.

Mind you a good lens is essential for a camera of this type. Poorly built lenses will be found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

mr_clean wrote: »
    Hey
    Been thinking of upgrading from my 40D,

was thinking of going FF , and had my eye on the 5D II ...

saw on dpreview's review and seems it's JPEG output is a little soft ?

seems bizarre for a 2k+ body only camera ?

I know i can shoot in RAW .. but still, how have current owners found it ?

I think that 99% of 5D2 owners will be shooting in RAW so the JPEG output issue - if it exists at all - will be irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

I really wanna try out a Mark II. Can't see why you would be shooting in JPEG with a 5DMKII

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭feileacan

aye, ignore jpeg and use raw.

if your paying 2K+ for the camera, i dont think you'll be using jpeg that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think if you're buying a 5DmkII, you're not really going to be using the JPEG feature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have canon started shipping 5D II with the firmware that fixes the black spots on bright lights etc.

if i get lucky i may be able to afford one in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yes but as always depends on the stock from where you're buying it from, anyway the firmware is a doddle to install, takes 2-3 mins at max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yes but as always depends on the stock from where you're buying it from, anyway the firmware is a doddle to install, takes 2-3 mins at max.
    cool, ahh i know updates are easily installed, just that i've had a sore spot ever since i firmware upgraded my nokia phone and it bricked it, replacement bricked too :) needless to say it was the last nokia i owned. i wouldn't fancy the same thing happening with a 5DmkII lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement