Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black granite, is it hard to keep?

• 26-02-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi, I'm putting in a cream kitchen in my new house, and am doing a mix of black granite on the counter tops and walnut on the island unit. My question is this, the granite suppliers only seem to do 2 black type granites, supreme black which is totally black and angora black which is a grey/black mix, but mostly grey. The second one wont really suit, and I'm worried that the totally black one, not having any flecks of colour through it will be really hard to keep streak free! I remember someone telling me before NEVER to get black granite! Does anyone have it that can tell me if this is true, I'd really appreciate it, otherwise we'll have to try a different supplier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

WE have the black granite, its got kinda silvery flecks in it though,so its not solid black, but it is very hard to keep streak free, if you wipe it down with a damn cloth you have to go over it with a dry one almost immediately, or it will look streaky, you will especialy see it where the sun shines on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 newbuilder

Thought as much, but we've gone with black appliances now, so we dont hav alot of choice!! I know its going to drive me crazy, thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

For the new house me and my partner are building i think we will be going for black granite too, it looks lovely and is worth the hassle!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have oak presses and black granite called Star Galaxy - it has gold flecks in it. I don't find it hard to keep clean at all, but I use a cleaning spray which helps with greasy marks.
    Be wary of eco cleaning products on granite, since they're often vinegar based and acid liquids such as vinegar, wine, citrus juices will eat into it.

Yes you do have to dry it immediately after washing to buff it up but it's definitely worth it, I love my granite.

Advertisement