Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loughs and Walkways

• 26-02-2009 4:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Went a bit mental over the last two days taking photos of Loughs and walkways into them as I'm working in Mayo and the place is full of them. I have enough now to last me a lifetime. Here is two of them.

3309414689_7295e042aa.jpg

3309413481_89bee2e5b5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

3311903886_32a02d2ff5.jpgThis was taken last Friday outside Coachford, Co.Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ballyman, they are very nice indeed.

Beautiful B&W conversion. Do you mind me asking how you went about it, or are we treading on trade secrets here?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Dragan wrote: »
    Ballyman, they are very nice indeed.

Beautiful B&W conversion. Do you mind me asking how you went about it, or are we treading on trade secrets here?:)

I'd be interested too, really nice shots and conversions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

kjt wrote: »
    I'd be interested too, really nice shots and conversions!!

+1

really nice conversions, would love to know the secret ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Excellent shots Ballyman. Really like them both. Nice processing too. I rather shots without people in them, but the first one works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yeah, love the processing, also....looking at your flickr link I really like the other one: Lough Owel - Mullingar.
    Pls tell us your secret BW processing, as I went googly-eyed (& mental !)the last few days trying to do BW conversions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I don't have the exact settings as I'm on my work computer but the gist of them are:

The light was very poor and this is why they are B&W and not colour.

So, I used a 2 or 3 stop ND Grad on camera and exposed for the foreground. Then in Lightroom, added another 1-2 stop ND grad filter for the sky. This really blackens it up and gives it the stormy kind of look. Obviously you need a few clouds in the sky to begin with for it to work right.

I increased the contrast and blacks pretty high also and played around with exposure and brightness to bring back as much lost detail as I could while trying to keep the image as dark as poossible. As you can see, I've pretty much lost a lot of detail in the far away detail so this is difficult to do.

Then play around with the RGB sliders until I have something I am reasonably happy with.
    And finally, the most important bit, I added a very slight vignette!! -10 on the slider :)

Sín sín.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Both are very good but the first one is stunning!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

kgiller wrote: »
    Excellent shots Ballyman. Really like them both. Nice processing too. I rather shots without people in them, but the first one works well.

Here it is without the "fisherman"

6FBE2EDA71D54F319A3C8768B42E7B31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Wonderful shots and great b&w Ballyman!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Class work Ballyman and thanks for the explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I recognise the 2nd one in your first post, they are all great images. Well done.

Advertisement