Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sligo

Options
  • 26-02-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey Guys,
    My plan is to head to Sligo IT next September as a mature student, will be studying Marketing.
    I'm from Galway, living in Dublin past two years but have never been to Sligo, really looking forward to it but worrying about finding job and accommodation!
    Just wondering how ye're all finding it? what the average rent is? and is it as good craic or better than Galway?! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm doing marketing with languages this year in Sligo:) Love it:D Subjects include Accounting,Maths,Management until Christmas then Marketing from Christmas to Summer,Computer Applications,Communications and French(people not doing languages do Organisational Behaviour)

I'm not completely sure about rent as I live at home with the parents but I think it generally varies from about €55 - €70 a week.

I did a year of college in Galway and I have to say Sligo is just as good,just as much craic around the town and there is usually always something on.The college organises more events that NUIG did so its a bonus.

Finding a job....hmmmm,might be a bit difficult with the current climate,not many jobs in Sligo,but Toucan which is a call center I think always seem to be hiring people,worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ClaireyBee

Thanks bobcar,
    I'm really looking forward to moving to Sligo, that's not bad for rent, I pay crazy money for it up here anyhow, we are still worried about jobs but we've a couple of online businesses that we've just started so hopefully they'll be making some money before moving time!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

ClaireyBee wrote: »
    Thanks bobcar,
    I'm really looking forward to moving to Sligo, that's not bad for rent, I pay crazy money for it up here anyhow, we are still worried about jobs but we've a couple of online businesses that we've just started so hopefully they'll be making some money before moving time!

Hiya Clairey,

I would def find a job before you actually move. Look in the local papers on line.. The Sligo Champion, The Sligo Weekender and The Sligo Post..

I too am a student and finding it a nightmare to get a job

Best O' luck

Thankin' ya! I've asked for a transfer to Sligo with current job so fingers crossed but am starting to look now!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

ClaireyBee wrote: »
    Thankin' ya! I've asked for a transfer to Sligo with current job so fingers crossed but am starting to look now!
    No problem

if there is anything else i can assist ya in just drop me a mail...
    Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Hi there,

I just found a nice double room in a house in Strandhill for Eur 270 a month. Very happy, close to the sea and nice people in the house.

I was also looking at 1/2bed appartments in Sligo itself for between 550 and 650. Also a two bed apt in Strandhill for 650.

:D
    Hey cousin_borat, that's good value, was down in Sligo for the first time this weekend, fell in love with it! can't wait to move down now!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Heading to Sligo for college (hopefully - interview soon). There seems to be a fair few places to rent, the only problem is finding work.

Just wondering where everyone is currently working in Sligo part time? What sites should I keep my eye on (jobs.ie doesn't seem to have a lot of fans in Sligo!)

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

As mentioned before toucan is always hiring , plentyof bar work about too, just go around and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Heading to Sligo for college (hopefully - interview soon). There seems to be a fair few places to rent, the only problem is finding work.

Just wondering where everyone is currently working in Sligo part time? What sites should I keep my eye on (jobs.ie doesn't seem to have a lot of fans in Sligo!)

Thanks in advance!

Ha ha. Jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

Hey folks,

I'm a civil servant ( please dont give me abuse!!) and I was thinking about maybe relocating to sligo for two years with my job...I know some of the posts on here are old...but just wondered how you got on, whats the place like? Any nice places to rent in strandhill? Ive been living in Dublin for the last 14 years and know no-one in sligo so I'm not sure if the move is a good idea or not....
    Any feedback very much appreciated! Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm from Galway and i'm used to having a hectic lifestyle. Sligo was a bit of a shock to me tbh. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Sligo, but there's not a whole lot to do and it's not a very cultural city.

I like to do things, and there's just not much that stuff to do in Sligo. Sligo is fine if drinking is your only game, but i'm guessing as a mature student you'll have gotten over that phase. 1st year was mighty because it was just drink drink drink, but I got sick of that because i'd like to go out on the weekend in Galway as it was money much better spent.

Thing about Sligo is that the main things to do are mountain climbing/surfing/other outdoor things - I did all of these, but the problem is that it's too weather dependant (Try climbing Benbulben in a gale and heavy rain!)

If you like the outdoors I strongly suggest joining the surfing club/sub aqua club - great bunch of people (Main thing i'll miss about Sligo is the clubs & socs - because the college isin't too bit you really get to know people in the clubs/socs)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Trishis wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm a civil servant ( please dont give me abuse!!) and I was thinking about maybe relocating to sligo for two years with my job...I know some of the posts on here are old...but just wondered how you got on, whats the place like? Any nice places to rent in strandhill? Ive been living in Dublin for the last 14 years and know no-one in sligo so I'm not sure if the move is a good idea or not....
    Any feedback very much appreciated! Thanks a mill

Strandhill is like a different world to Sligo town. I could not live in Sligo town, it's too rough/knackerish for my liking (wait to be shot for saying that) - Strandhill is totally different, great 'community' out there and no one from out that side seems to have that rough-as-a-badgers-arse Sligo accent either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

have a look in this forum and leave your question there too, you're more likely to get reponses from sligo people or people working in sligo than people on the college forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=950

I would recommend strandhill too, you can also get cheap rent in coolaney, ballisadare and and collooney too

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

cloneslad wrote: »
    have a look in this forum and leave your question there too, you're more likely to get reponses from sligo people or people working in sligo than people on the college forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=950

I would recommend strandhill too, you can also get cheap rent in coolaney, ballisadare and and collooney too

Thanks a million, I'm new to Boards so posted in the wrong place! Cheers for the link, just started a new thread there. Cool, might check those places out too.

Advertisement