Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Anime weekend is announced wohoo!!

Options
  • 26-02-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

JAPANESE ANIME WEEKEND AT THE IRISH FILM INSTITUTE
    Saturday 28th – Sunday 29th March 2009

The Embassy of Japan in Ireland and the Irish Film Institute present
    Japanese Anime Weekendon Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th March 2009
    This event will include film screenings and lectures by renowned anime expert Ms. Helen McCarthy
    See the Irish Film Institute website for further details and to book tickets for the film screenings and reserve free places for the lectures.

http//www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season2_07.asp?SID=167
    Box office: 01 679 3477

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jvposter

lena-bell wrote: »
    JAPANESE ANIME WEEKEND AT THE IRISH FILM INSTITUTE
    Saturday 28th – Sunday 29th March 2009

The Embassy of Japan in Ireland and the Irish Film Institute present
    Japanese Anime Weekendon Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th March 2009
    This event will include film screenings and lectures by renowned anime expert Ms. Helen McCarthy
    See the Irish Film Institute website for further details and to book tickets for the film screenings and reserve free places for the lectures.

http//www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season2_07.asp?SID=167
    Box office: 01 679 3477
    thanks for the anounce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

link is broke should be http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season2_07.asp?SID=167 for anyone wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jvposter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

Sword of the stranger is a BRILLIANT movie, I recommend people go on saturday ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lena-bell

I heard that Mr. Ando the director of Sword of the stranger might be doing the talk with Helen McCarthy on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Lena-Bell, where did you hear that?
    I'm probably going to go the day Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence is on, seeing as I've yet to watch that.

I heard the IFI are trying to get him to come. But it's still in the works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IFI

Hello
    Mr Ando will do a Q&A after the screening of Sword of the Stranger on Sat March 28 at 6.15. You can book here
    He will also particiapate in a talk by Helen McCarthy which is taking place that day at 3pm called Brief History of Post-War Japanese animation. You can reserve your free ticket by contacting the IFI box office on 679 3477.

There is a special student ticket price of €5 for the anime films over the weekend.

More info on the weekend can be found here

Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

it seems all movies are fully booked, oh well, next time :)

Are you sure they are sold out I just went on the IFI website and it allowed me to put them into the cart?
    Also Mr. Ando has cancelled and isn't coming to the festival :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

my mistake, it works. thx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Got my tickets for naruto =D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Do you have to buy the tickets online, or do you reckon you can just walk in on the day and get some?
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hazelhoff

Hairspray wrote: »
    Got my tickets for naruto =D.
    where is it all on i clicked the link but doesnt say where??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Saw a very good picture in the metro this morning, Kakashi, CC and what looked like some sort of bumblebee ninja.

http://img.e-metro.ie/e-edition-ie/A15ncr/Metroire20090325/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-metro.ie%2Fe-metro-ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Anyone going to Sword of The Stranger on Saturday!?
    :D

Got my ticket yesterday!

Anyone going to Sword of The Stranger on Saturday!?
    :D
    Got my ticket yesterday!
    Well, according to a friend, he booked us five tickets, so I'm hoping to go. I believe we're seeing Sword of the Stranger, which IMO shoulder be far better than the Naruto film.
    I think I'll attend the talk on Post-War Japanese Animation as well, since that kinda thing interests me a lot, and I respect Helen McCarthy as well.

I'd like to go Sunday to see Ghost In the Shell: Innocence, but I've a French oral exam on Tuesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Organised the trip up for 9 of us from the society for the whole weekend, going to great.

Unfortunately family got some bad news, and I can't go. Do hope they all have a good weekend, as do I hope everyone does.

Just got back from Sword of the Stranger. It was fantastic! Great music, interesting characters and some amazing fight choreography, but the animation was a bit of a let-down. I would've preferred something more realistic-looking, rather than the kind've TV-standard animation it had.
    That's just a minor complaint though; it was well worth the watch, and I highly recommend it!
    By the way, I missed the Post-War Anime talk thanks to the bad punctuality of friends. Was it any good? And did Masahiro Ando appear or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HelenMcc

It seems like most people who came to the festival enjoyed it, but believe me, presenting it was even more fun. I had a great time, even though I was as disappointed as everyone else that Mr. Ando couldn't make it. Hello to the University of Limerick Anime Society, thanks to everyone who came up for a chat or said hi, and thanks to John H. for the artwork! Let's hope we can persuade the Embassy of Japan and the IFI to do another anime festival before too long.

Meanwhile anyone who wants to keep up with what I'm doing, or just have a laugh at my first website, which is extremely inept but slowly improving, can visit www. helenmccarthy.org

• Advertisement

HelenMcc wrote: »
    It seems like most people who came to the festival enjoyed it, but believe me, presenting it was even more fun. I had a great time, even though I was as disappointed as everyone else that Mr. Ando couldn't make it. Hello to the University of Limerick Anime Society, thanks to everyone who came up for a chat or said hi, and thanks to John H. for the artwork! Let's hope we can persuade the Embassy of Japan and the IFI to do another anime festival before too long./QUOTE]
    Yeah, shame he couldn't come, I would've liked toask a question or two...
    I hope we can expect another anime-related event soon as well; perhaps something even bigger next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

HelenMcc wrote: »
    It seems like most people who came to the festival enjoyed it, but believe me, presenting it was even more fun. I had a great time, even though I was as disappointed as everyone else that Mr. Ando couldn't make it. Hello to the University of Limerick Anime Society, thanks to everyone who came up for a chat or said hi, and thanks to John H. for the artwork! Let's hope we can persuade the Embassy of Japan and the IFI to do another anime festival before too long.

Meanwhile anyone who wants to keep up with what I'm doing, or just have a laugh at my first website, which is extremely inept but slowly improving, can visit www. helenmccarthy.org

Heard it was a great weekend from the group, and that the talks were fantastic, would have loved to have heard them myself (they did bring me back some fantastic Evangelion figures).
    And yup, looking forward to hopefully another festival.

Advertisement