Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Problem .

Options
  • 26-02-2009 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have recently sorted an issue out between my PS3 and wireless Netgear router and the end result was to go LAN with the PS3 and not wireless and I suspect the wireless connection was dropping out intermittenly and disrupting on line gaming

The reason I now think that my wirless setup is still having a problem is that when I am connected via wireless to my XP Laptop I get prompts that my UPC connetion is now connected every 5 to 10 minutes .... could my wireless connection be dropping out in the back round and I am getting prompts when a connection is re-established ? OR is this normal ..note : my webpage does not drop out .

Any way of diagnosing if I am having connection drop outs ?

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Ah yes - this reminds me of a similar story:
    One day a Novice came to the Master.
    "Master," he said, "How is it that I may become a Writer of Programs?".
    The Master looked solemnly at the Novice.
    "Have you in your possession a Compiler of Source Code?" the Master asked.
    "No," replied the Novice. The Master sent the Novice on a quest to the Store of Software.

Many hours later the Novice returned.
    "Yes," replied the Novice.
    The Master frowned at the Novice.
    "You have a Compiler of Source. What now can prevent you from becoming a Writer of Programs?".
    The Novice fidgeted nervously and presented his Compiler of Source to the Master.
    "How is this used?" asked the Novice.
    "Have you in your possession a Manual of Operation?" the Master asked.
    "No," replied the Novice.
    The Master instructed the Novice as to where he could find the Manual of Operation.

Many days later the Novice returned.
    "Have you in your possession a Manual of Operation?" the Master asked.
    "You have a Compiler of Source, and a Manual of Operation. What now can prevent you from becoming a Writer of Programs?".

At this the Novice fidgeted nervously and presented his Manual of Operations to the Master.
    "How is this used?" asked the Novice.
    The Master closed his eyes, and heaved a great sigh.
    The Master sent the Novice on a quest to the School of Elementary.

Many years later the Novice returned.
    "Have you in your possession a Compiler of Source Code, a Manual of Operation and an Education of Elementary?" the Master asked.
    "What then can prevent you from becoming a Writer of Programs?".

The Novice fidgeted nervously. He looked around but could find nothing to present to the Master.
    The Master smiled at the Novice.
    "I see what problem plagues you." said the Master.
    "Oh great master, please tell me." asked the Novice.

The Master turned the Novice toward the door, and with a supportive hand on his shoulder said, "Go young Novice,and Read The ****ing Manual." And so the Novice became enlightened.

Be enlightened:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/home
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3990

Other than that, is the firmware up to date?
    Sounds like an interference/range issue if the wireless is dropping, how far away are the wireless devices from the router?

Stuff like microwaves, metal file cabinets, cordless phones and other things can interfere with the signal.

Have you tried reseting the router with the reset button?

Try upgrading the firmware anyway and maybe lookat OpenWRT while your at it! (may aswel kill two birds with one stone!)

http://openwrt.org/

iRock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

iRock wrote: »
    Ah yes - this reminds me of a similar story:

Be enlightened:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/home
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3990

Other than that, is the firmware up to date?
    Sounds like an interference/range issue if the wireless is dropping, how far away are the wireless devices from the router?

Stuff like microwaves, metal file cabinets, cordless phones and other things can interfere with the signal.

Have you tried reseting the router with the reset button?

Try upgrading the firmware anyway and maybe lookat OpenWRT while your at it! (may aswel kill two birds with one stone!)

http://openwrt.org/

iRock

iRock are you off your "rocker" , nice story but.

Answers:
    Router fimware updated as of 10 mins ago , will let you know .

Distance from router to Laptop (wirelessly) 8 metres .

Location of router ... behind TV , sitting 1 foot from PS3 , STB , Modem . (ok?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yeah, nice story :)

Anyway, the EASIEST thing you can do is download NetStumbler.
    When you see disconnects on your laptop, run netstumbler. It will tell you what wifi points are close by and what channel they are on.

If your channel is the same as another point, you will get interference. Change your channel to be as far away as the others.

If you finally get your wifi sorted, you can them migrate your PS3 back to the wifi connection. Happy days.

Questions:
    • How close is your wifi point to your kitchen? [rooms away, other side of adjoining wall, etc?] As was mentioned, things like microwave ovens will have an affect.
    • How close is your wifi point to your neighbours kitchen? [if it's at an adjoining wall only.]
    • Do the drop outs happen only at certain times of the day or all through out the day.
    • Are the drop outs regular or random?

Advertisement