Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advertiser Distribution

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

The Galway Advertiser has not been delivered to my home for the last 5/6 weeks. I tried ringing them but all I get is the voicemail. Before I leave a message I was just wondering have they stopped delivering in any other area. I'm in Oranmore. I know they stopped the Galway First once the Galway Voice stopped but is this another decision due to lack of competition. I realise there is another thread on the GA but this refers to Distribution.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sgthighway wrote: »
    The Galway Advertiser has not been delivered to my home for the last 5/6 weeks. I tried ringing them but all I get is the voicemail. Before I leave a message I was just wondering have they stopped delivering in any other area. I'm in Oranmore. I know they stopped the Galway First once the Galway Voice stopped but is this another decision due to lack of competition. I realise there is another thread on the GA but this refers to Distribution.

Oranmore is outside town! Why would they deliver house-to-house there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

snubbleste wrote: »
    Oranmore is outside town! Why would they deliver house-to-house there?

I don't know why they delivered there. Maybe its due to the large population living there. I'm pi55ed off because the service was there and now its not.

try their online site.. not as convenient as the paper but it's something..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well I'm getting mine delivered around 8:45am each thursday but i live near the centre.
    If you're stuck, read the entire paper online

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

OP, i'm in athenry and its the same with me. Door to door seemed to stop at the start of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps minding their money more now? It's easy to pick it up in a pub or newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is galway first not closed?? I just assumed since i stopped getting the paper that they had wrapped things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

sgthighway wrote: »
    The Galway Advertiser has not been delivered to my home for the last 5/6 weeks. I tried ringing them but all I get is the voicemail. Before I leave a message I was just wondering have they stopped delivering in any other area.

They've deffo reduced the print run! There's never one left in the local shop the last few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness Id say they've cut back right across the board like many others.
    They have to have suffered from the drastic reduction in houses for sale, new cars, jobs and general advertising revenue being lost.
    I would think the loss of ads from housing alone would have had a serious impact on their income.
    Its not been delivered here (estate in ballybrit) for about 4 weeks now.

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Surely if they're not doing as many door-to-door deliveries or as many printings then companies aren't going to want to pay as much to advertise in their paper.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cL0h wrote: »
    They've deffo reduced the print run! There's never one left in the local shop the last few weeks!

So have the Galway Independent , far fewer of them about since christmas .

I rarely bother with either, bastions of muppetry dressed up as journalism is what they are :(

KevR wrote: »
    Surely if they're not doing as many door-to-door deliveries or as many printings then companies aren't going to want to pay as much to advertise in their paper.
    Thanks for all the replies. I know they will be losing one big customer if they are not delivering to Athenry/Oranmore. The subscription for big adverts is not cheap in these times and if your advert isn't getting to your targeted area its a waste of money. I read it online but its a pain.
    Like bringning it into the Jacks for a good read.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We've never had it delivered to us (ballybrit - living here since September)

The only time I was upset about that was when Mustard wouldn't accept a printed copy of the coupon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

They all started cutting back last summer - Galway First didn't get delivered to my area, Independent only occasionally dropped off at NUIG and we're getting the Ad Rag really late, if at all (and I'm about as city centre as you're going to get).

They've launched an online only paper in Kilkenny, could be interesting to see how successful that is and if others are going to follow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I live in the city centre and always get it, but didnt get it this week, unless we did and one of m housemates absconded with it... but i doubt it.

Oh and the perosn who said about the mustard thing, we used ours last friday!

I got a big suprise when I came home last Thursday. The Advertiser was delivered. Thanks to those responsible and please God the service will continue. I can now enjoy a good read while in the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Both Advertiser and Indo have been delivered early morning the past few weeks, I've been late for work once or twice cos of reading the paper! Doughiska here...

Advertisement