Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hdmi cables for only 7.99

• 26-02-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭

09_42962_b.jpg

Lidl have some hdmi cables coming in

coming in on 2nd of March
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090302.p.HDMILead

ill be getting a few,great deal

before anyone asks these cheap hdmi cables are the very same as the expensive ones,no difference

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Headshot wrote: »
    before anyone asks these cheap hdmi cables are the very same as the expensive ones,no difference

Pull the other one! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

What are they for ??:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

If you don't know then you probably don't need them :)

It's like a scart cable but digital - generally used for hi def equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

But the staff in Hardly Normal told me the Monster HDMI gold cable with diamond studs that I paid 5 billion eurons for is better than any other..

:D

Nice find OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

would there be any point in buying this for a pc? i have a full hd 22" monitor and a 9800gt graphics card with a hdmi adaptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

would these work with an XBOX 360?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

omerin wrote: »
    would there be any point in buying this for a pc? i have a full hd 22" monitor and a 9800gt graphics card with a hdmi adaptor.

No point whatsoever, DVI is the same picture quality as both are digital, VGA is still adaquate quality on monitors even though its analogue, these are mainly used for connecting consoles or high definition players to a TV

Nick

would these work with an XBOX 360?

If your xbox has a HDMI port at the back, yes it will, please look at the back of the xbox for THIS kind of port, if it has one, that cable will work with it, providing your TV also has a HDMI port

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

I was in the tescos in artane castle and picked up a 1.5 metre for €2.50! I was holding off for a while since paying 25 quid didn't appeal - tested on a ps3 into a dell monitor. Sound and picture working fine.

Aren't they only about €10 anyway in Power City?

• Advertisement

joconnell wrote: »
    I was in the tescos in artane castle and picked up a 1.5 metre for €2.50! I was holding off for a while since paying 25 quid didn't appeal - tested on a ps3 into a dell monitor. Sound and picture working fine.
    Thats a good bargain! And yes it will work as fine as any :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I know this sounds vague but would this be of goood quality in connecting my laptop (Dell Studio XPS) to my 26" Samsung TV? I'm not really sure about my graphics card. Think it's something like NVIDIA 256 mb. Sorry, not very tecchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

besty wrote: »
    I know this sounds vague but would this be of goood quality in connecting my laptop (Dell Studio XPS) to my 26" Samsung TV? I'm not really sure about my graphics card. Think it's something like NVIDIA 256 mb. Sorry, not very tecchy.

yap it would be very good quality,and the graphics card is grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

besty, assuming that both of your devices have HDMI ports then it's exactly what you want.

dealextreme have cheap HDMI cables too if you want something delivered (http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.hdmi%20cable)

"most" cables are fine for 1080p over a couple of meters. You only really need quality when you get a lot longer, or if you're trying something with a higher bandwidth than the normal audio/video combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

joconnell wrote: »

When was that? Do you know if they still have them and are they over to the left with the other cables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Headshot wrote: »
    yap it would be very good quality,and the graphics card is grand
    Zab wrote: »
    besty, assuming that both of your devices have HDMI ports then it's exactly what you want.

dealextreme have cheap HDMI cables too if you want something delivered (http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.hdmi%20cable)

"most" cables are fine for 1080p over a couple of meters. You only really need quality when you get a lot longer, or if you're trying something with a higher bandwidth than the normal audio/video combo.
    Thanks for the heads up guys. Both the laptop and the TV have HDMI ports so might pick one of these up for watching DVD's, playing games etc?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I got an email today from Just Media, they are selling HDMI stuff at a good price, I might wait until their next "free shipping weekend" to pick up a few:

http://www.justmedia.ie/c-454-hdmi.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Zab wrote: »
    This is correct, 99% of cheap hdmi cables will work just fine. Just as long as they dont fall to bits and are made from half decent components you should be fine. I have a couple of hdmi cables and both cost less than £6 or £7...
    I have heard of people having problems, sparkles, flashing colours or sound with no picture.

The only time where paying a lot of money is for long runs, like going to a projector or something....5+ meters.

All the big stores will try and flog those monster etc cables for crazy money, big markup on them, little margin on tellys. When I bought my new telly in the new year sales the guy was trying to flog me a monster hdmi cable, a power strip (lots of bells and whistles, also monster brand) and a fancy one-for-all remote. I didnt buy any of it but the 'special offer' for all 3 was £200 :eek:... just the telly thanks says I, and the sales pitch keeps going, I'll be going next door then says I, he stfu but was not a happy camper... so what, he was trying to fleece me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

nephster wrote: »
    If you don't know then you probably don't need them :)

It's like a scart cable but digital - generally used for hi def equipment.

Yeah, think you may be right ;) Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MadDad

"most" cables are fine for 1080p over a couple of meters. You only really need quality when you get a lot longer, or if you're trying something with a higher bandwidth than the normal audio/video combo.[/QUOTE]

What does 1080p mean should i be concerned about this if buying a hdmi cable fo a ps3 I have seen some which Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I sent my brother into the togher lidl a while ago and he said there's nadda there. No hdmi cable. And he listed a few of what was there and none of it was even on the catalog...

I've never gone into lidl and actually fund what I went there for. It's a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MadDad

Got one in Fortunestown Rd, Tallaght today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

MadDad wrote: »

What does 1080p mean should i be concerned about this if buying a hdmi cable fo a ps3 I have seen some which Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i[/QUOTE]

Dont be concerned at all! ALL hdmi cable support ALL those resolutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

MadDad wrote: »
    What does 1080p mean should i be concerned about this if buying a hdmi cable fo a ps3 I have seen some which Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i

1080p is a video mode, 1080 being the number of "lines" in the resolution. Basically for our purposes you can imagine trying to stuff information down the cable, 1080p requiring the most information, followed by 720p, 576p etc. As Zonda said, over 2 meters any HDMI cable should be able to transfer the information fast enough for 1080p, otherwise the manufacturing standard of the cable is really bottom of the barrel or the cable is flawed. If you were talking about a 20m cable that wouldn't be the case, and you'd require a slightly better quality cable, although there's still no reason to get those belkin/monster type cables. They're nothing more than robbery.

Advertisement