Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

melted guts of an oil/kerosene burner...

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Can someone help me please, I noticed that our burner keeps knocking itself off. We had a technician service it last year because it would not stop cutting out but today I opened the top plate on the burner and inside was the remains of what looked like three square sheets of metal, I removed the melted remains but I have no idea what they where doing in there in the first place:confused:

There is a LOT of soot around the place and it is very thirsty as of late. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

What is the make and model of the boiler? Lots of soot and very thirsty suggests that the air/fuel ratio is wildly out and could be the cause of burning out the diffuser plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Thanks for your reply, a few pics:

SD531340.JPG

SD531341.JPG

SD531346.JPG

SD531347.JPG

SD531349.JPG

I assume the three plates rested on those brackets to combust fuel etc, the exhaust outside has melted the gutter, what settings on it could have caused this over-heating and what are my options beside a total replace of the burner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

From what I can see from your pics the boiler has burned out its baffle plates. These lie across the boiler internal space and cause the hot gases to take a zig-zag path through the boiler to the flue. The fact that they have all been burned through, together with the amount of soot and your comment about excessive oil use suggests that the air to fuel ratio was set far too low (too little air), so that there was incomplete combustion of the oil and an excessively long flame length so that the flame was hitting the baffle plates before combustion was complete. Once the plates were burned through the oil would no longer be transferring heat to the boiler properly and most of that heat would be going straight out of the flue, hence the burned gutter above it and the high oil consumption. I don't know who are the agents for that particular make, but if you can find out (perhaps from the literature you have for it) then you should be able to buy replacement baffles. Generally these need to be installed in a particular order. Then you will need to get the air/oil mix set up, and that requires CO2 meters and pressure gauges. A service engineer should be able to sort all of that for you.

I'd say whoever last serviced your boiler didn't do a very good job:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Art6 has pretty well said it all. I don't think that you will get the baffles. All you need is to get some plate cut to the same dimmensions. The burner is a Bentone. It will ned to be set up by an expert. Just make sure that the flue is not blocked further up - I can't see it from the photos. The brackets will place the baffles where they should be. Usually you only see 3 baffles in that boiler, even though there are 4 lots of brackets.
    Jim.

Advertisement