Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house while on Dole-thanks

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All, this is my first post. I was told this was the place to get some good answers :D i was made redundant in Dec, partner is still working. Due to mounting debt, we are moving out of our house. Mortgage is 900 and we are hoping to get 800 for rent. We are moving from Dublin to Kildare to rent a room off a friend. Someone has said to me that i wont be able to get any more unemployment benefit as I now have an income (even though i wont be making any money off the rental)does anyone have any experience of this. Also as i am moving county, i know there will be a change with my dole. I hate asking yer one in the dole office cause she is a battle-axe so does anyone know can they change the office i sign in and where i collect my dole or will i have to sign off and then sign on in the new town?? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The first question is what benefit are you getting?
    I mix up the names a bit so bear with me.

A)Unemployment Benefit: You have enough stamps in order to claim based on you tax credit. This is not means tested so your income from investments is not considered at low levels AFAIK

B) Unemployment Assistance: Means tested for people who have not paid enough tax to qualify. Your household income is considered which basically means any income coming will reduce the amount of money they pay. It is often less than €10 for people who have a working spouse.

Basically with A I think you should get your money with B certainly not. Of course you realise the rent of €800 is taxable even though your mortgage is higher and first time buyer stamp duties mean you must live in the house for a period of time (5years) before renting? They will charge the higher stamp duty rates as an investor.

Hope that helps but I am am not 100% sure. I would check all this out personally if I was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

hi ya-thanks for your reply. I am getting umeployment assistance (the one where i have stamps).

I didnt realise that ref the stamp duty- we are only living here 4 years...

I will google now and maybe try citizens advice in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Might get more responses in State Benefits

Advertisement