Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning colder with wintry showers

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Looks like the next cold spell is on the way on the models from Monday onward. The weather has been a little benign of late since the snow a couple of weeks ago.

This time things are more marginal for snow with the North and West most at risk. A brisk North Westerly or Westerly is going to develope later on Sunday allowing colder polar maritime air to come in. Looks like there will be plenty of showers packing into the West and North. Drier further East.

Looks like any snow risk should primarily be at night and on high ground though nothing can be ruled out at lower levels yet. It's an uncertain situation.

A return to frosts too.

I will update over the weekend with charts etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 obrienmichael

Sky news weather said there will be snow over parts of Ireland fom next Monday. Showed snow on the map of Ireland. Can we rely on their forcast? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GFS is showing snow showers over the northern half of the country for Tuesday, showers probably rain for the rest of the week then after that but it's a good way away.

I'd prefer it to stay dry and mild from now on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it could be quite windy in the north west by Tuesday too. the showers will pack a punch so any snowfall at night should be reasonably heavy. i just hope the snow isn't confined to places like knock airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

could get interesting cause these charts will no doubt change somewhat.will that low sink further south before then?

gfs-2-114.png?6PPVO89.png

joe bastardi quotes.........

FALSE SPRING TO WARM EUROPE BEFORE WINTER'S LAST GASP MARCH 5-15. Let's see how close this comes. I am looking for the return of colder-than-normal temps in west and central Europe during this time (give or take a couple of days). The point is the balmy weather spreading into the central part of Europe to replace the cold is not the last of winter. Whether it snows again in London or not, I can't yet tell, but March will not be a warm month in most of western and central Europe.

god even i could forecast that:D

• Advertisement

Rtavn1201.png

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Rtavn1201.png

:D

Beautiful !!!:D :D But Typical! There's finally a chance of some snow in the west and I'm working in Dublin Monday and Tuesday. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Tuesday looks "interesting". A significant snow risk may be developing on Tuesday or Tuesday Night. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

darkman2 wrote: »
    Tuesday looks "interesting". A significant snow risk may be developing on Tuesday or Tuesday Night. Watch this space.

Looks like it will be short lived though....

Short lived - probrably but still a heavy, allbeit, short period of snow is very possible.

84_30.gif

Those charts are remarkably accurate by the way and weathercheck will back me up on that. Like I say watch out for Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

GFS imo wouldn't be in the reliable timeframe < t-72. That's just my opinion based on previous snow predictions using gfs, t-24 - t-36 would probably raise an eybrow with me though. :)

18z going all out for Tuesday night. Progging potentially extremely heavy snow. Of course much can still change but....lol! - Wet ground would freeze exceptionally quickly being replaced by what looks like blizzard. -4C being progged Tuesday night. One to watch.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_18_UTC/72_30.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

mmmmmmm..... still some nice looking charts for the coming week , and considering that (the modern) winter seems to begin in march in ireland some great (short lived) potental next week for snowbies like me , so far this winter i have had 7 mornings (9am) with snowcover , numerous air frosts , followed by 2 weeks of mostly dry weather ,fantastic .

Only one thing missing though atm , our collective leaders from leinster seem to have gone missing , must be some very deep snowdrifts there......:rolleyes:
    fef09.gif
    w640.png

this would be heaven but doubt it:D

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=80177

very latest chart.still very encouraging.fingers crossed:D

prectypeuktopo.png

im not really convinced yet.very marginal in my eyes

gfs-2-60.png?6

mr 528 dam line suits the west here during heavy precip but not freezing levels.its the 3 hrs later that suit but precip nearly gone then

gfs-3-60.png?6

sorry for posting this but it just makes me laugh.its tuesday evening for carlow.12cm my eye.alot of choppin and changing to come,lets hope all gets upgraded.

Forecast for 18 GMT

Details

blizzard.gif

west1.gif5.png Temp:5C Wind chill -1C
    Wind speed:42km/hr
    Wind direction: 289deg
    Rain(or rain equivalent), last 3 hours: 13.8mm
    Rain(or rain equivalent), rate: 4.60mm/hr
    Pressure: 978mB Thickness: 529dam
    850hPa: -3C
    Freezing level: 427m
    Snow depth: 10cm
    Humidity: 100%
    Total cloud cover: 100% Forecast for 21 GMT

Details

lightsnow.gif

west1.gif1.png Temp:1C Wind chill -6C
    Wind speed:34km/hr
    Wind direction: 286deg
    Rain(or rain equivalent), last 3 hours: 2.4mm
    Rain(or rain equivalent), rate: 0.83mm/hr
    Pressure: 980mB Thickness: 524dam
    850hPa: -7C
    Freezing level: 88m
    Snow depth: 12cm
    Humidity: 94%
    Total cloud cover: 100%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even lookin at those charts posted it looks like rain or sleet at the very best for Dublin and the Eastern Coastal regions, looks extremely marginal untill you move well inland or on higher ground.

On the other hand it looks good for some parts of the country as well as high ground.
    However, I think snowfall at lower levels will be confined to night time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement