Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo - tree of life

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey,
    I've never gotten a tattoo before but I've wanted something similar to this for years. Is it a bit intricate and large for a first tattoo, should I get something simpler?

20570853.jpg
    w415.png

Anyhow can anyone recommend a good artist/parlour to get this done in Dublin? Also does anybody have a rough idea how much it would cost/how long it would take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Wow that's lovely, but if you want something simpler first you need to look around and research a bit. But if that's what you've wanted for so long go for it.

It's really up to yourself at the end of the day. I don't know but I'mm guessing you'll probably have to drop into a studio and ask for a quote on something like that. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sure if you're sure you want that tattoo, throw yourself in the deep end like.
    Reckon it would cost around €150-€200, have a look up in wildcat and snakebite for that style i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

savvylady wrote: »
    Hey,
    I've never gotten a tattoo before but I've wanted something similar to this for years. Is it a bit intricate and large for a first tattoo, should I get something simpler?

20570853.jpg
    w415.png

Anyhow can anyone recommend a good artist/parlour to get this done in Dublin? Also does anybody have a rough idea how much it would cost/how long it would take?

Nice tattoo, can you clarify what you men by simpler? Do you mean less wiggly lines for the 'roots'? I'd personally go more realistic, but thats just my own taste. Maybe try Colourworks or Wildcat and take a look at some portfolios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

savvylady wrote: »
    Anyhow can anyone recommend a good artist/parlour to get this done in Dublin?

Eoin @ South Ink in Rathmines! He does amazing trees/branches.

He inked a stunning Bonsai on my brother as part of his sleeve, he's sketching up a thigh piece with birdcages on branches for me at the moment :cool:

Edit to add - nice choice by the way, personally I'd be with Deceicle on the realistic thing, the image you posted is lovely but could be better imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 savvylady

Thanks guys for all your advice. All of the tree tattoos I've been able to find are fairly stylised. If I was going for something more realistic I would probably go for a leafy oak tree with lots of colour - I guess I thought that level of detail wouldn't be possible.
    Molberts is there any chance of you uploading pics of your brothers and your tattoos?
    My next task is to head round all these places you're recommending and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd also say that a slightly more realistic style could work much better when it comes to a "tree of life" tattoo, unless you are set on having a stylized version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theDOOjustDID

hi savvylady
    imo 2-4 hours most tatooists charge 80 - 120e per hour
    lovely piece ,tree of life deeply rooted in all cultures.
    most designs i seen the branches connect with the roots forming a evercycle.
    best of luck savvylady
    please choose artist carefuly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 murdoc75

the tree of life pictured looks great maybe add ur own twist to it to make it more personal to you, dont be afraid to bring a sketch or any ideas with u other than that looks great best of luck

Advertisement