Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** eircom and Internet Censoring ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Hi

Just wanting to add to Spears post (cos it's easy to overlook it):

The "blockage" is currently for mobile broadband companies, in the uk (BT etc) and is on a voluntary basis i.e. you could ring up and ask for the filtering to be switched off.

Still, not something I'm excited to hear about.

It seems crazy to have to ring and request access to websites now.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

I know this has probably been asked/written already but I can't find any info on it..
    I'm using my parents broadband, eircom is their server, and usually download stuff a bit, eg streaming online movies etc, can I still do that, or is there some kind of restriction, monitoring on now where I would be more likely to get in trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Is there censorship of other web sites like Australia does.

I can not open the page www.dixienet.org unless I use a proxy.( History and politics page)

could Eircom be censoring it ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Belfast wrote: »
    Is there censorship of other web sites like Australia does.

I can not open the page www.dixienet.org unless I use a proxy.( History and politics page)

could Eircom be censoring it ?

Doubtful, it's not working here on Smart/OpenDNS either.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Doubtful, it's not working here on Smart/OpenDNS either.

so why does it only open if I use a proxy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dixienet may be blocking incoming connections based on your location, and the proxy get's around that. Either that, or the DNS server hasn't updated to a change in their IP yet.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.dixienet.org
    Says it's up, but trying to connect through anonymouse.org fails.

So far, I don't believe there has been confirmation that any ISP in Ireland is censoring websites.

jor el wrote: »
    Dixienet may be blocking incoming connections based on your location, and the proxy get's around that. Either that, or the DNS server hasn't updated to a change in their IP yet.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.dixienet.org
    Says it's up, but trying to connect through anonymouse.org fails.

So far, I don't believe there has been confirmation that any ISP in Ireland is censoring websites.

works with this proxy
    http://www.zend2.com

but not with a UK proxy
    http://slypimp.com/

Can't get on it either. "Address Not Found".

I'm with Irish Broadband/Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Can't access it on digiweb either.

I can ping it so the address is resolving to its IP address. I can't connect to the site though. I'm guessing they don't want us foreigners using their site or something after viewing a page on the site through a proxy :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I suspect it's geoblocked or the like. I can't ping it from Ireland, but I can from a US address.

Problems with the host dimenoc, one path in is fine, another isn't being handled properly by a dimenoc router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wonder if this will influence the Eircom deal:
    EU Rejects Three-Strikes Legislation, For Good

The European Parliament has cast its final vote in favor of an amendment that will prevent member states from implementing three-strikes laws. Disconnecting alleged file-sharers based on evidence from anti-piracy lobby groups restricts the rights and freedoms of Internet users, according to the amendment.

For the fifth time in a year the European Parliament has spoken out against tougher anti-piracy legislation that would allow alleged file-sharers to be disconnected from the Internet, based on evidence provided by anti-piracy lobby groups. Instead, they chose to protect the fundamental rights and freedoms of Internet users.

In a vote earlier today, 407 Members of Parliament voted in favor of the amendment (138/46) while only 57 were opposed. After a bureaucratic pinball game with several votes on the same text, the amendment of the Telecoms package is now likely to be signed into law.

This is a strong message from Europe in favor of the individual rights of Internet users and against the widely opposed HADOPI law that French President Nicolas Sarkozy hopes to pass in the near future. In April it was mistakenly voted out by the French Parliament, but this is not likely to happen twice.

The entertainment industry, including Sarkozy’s wife, has has been lobbying for tougher anti-piracy legislation for years and despite the recently adopted amendment, France can not be forced to throw their “three-strikes” law overboard. Sarkozy himself put a lot of effort into ditching the amendment, as head of the European Council he already went against the democratic vote by rejecting it.

Nevertheless, the amendment was not adopted after a few months of delay. This is a step in the right direction, and it clearly goes against Sweden’s IPRED and France’s HADOPI laws. Let’s hope this will at least prevent other member states of the EU following the lead of these two countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PplAreStrange

Firstly let me say this, Eircom will never block anything, its too much work to keep people from a small amount of sites, the dns servers would have to be replaced and a whole new network setup, and they simply dont have any wish to spend that kind of money!

The thing about Eirocm is they own everything, if its you're plan to move to another ISP. The only network that is an option for the vast majority is NTL! Thisa because, BT, Perlico, Irish broadband and in fact all other ISP's except for NTL and Magnet are renting from eircom, so you'll have the very same problems. Eircom own all the exchanges, the majority of city west and are in fact the best this country has off!

Of course its still a badly run network, with all the outages, authentication issues and DNS problems! Let's face it, it's a bloody big mess! But they are trying to fix all of these things but as i'm sure you are all aware, Eircom are in financial ruin! By now you may well have guessed that i have worked for eircom, sadly its not the direct employee's of eircom that got the boot a few months ago, but they did get rid of a bunch of sub-contractors in the broadband, sales and miscellaneous departments and also stopped supplying in-house catering, snacks and tea/coffee as their accountants told them they need to get rid of any gratutitus costs. Which insane considering how much the executives in Eircom make per year!

I think all these problems would be rectified if we nationalised eircom! After all, i cant recall ever hearing of these issue prior to 1999. Of course the reason they sold it off in the first place was they knew everyone would want dsl and they also knew that the TE network wasnt up to it, as it still isnt! Also they didnt have the cash to spend a million euro per exchange (the average cost of setting up an exchange).

Hope this get's on the thread.

I still think a €100 per year download license would be a better idea. You pay 100 to the govt. and you download what you like. The money is gathered and gave to the IRMA or whoever and they split it up evenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PplAreStrange

I still think a €100 per year download license would be a better idea. You pay 100 to the govt. and you download what you like. The money is gathered and gave to the IRMA or whoever and they split it up evenly.

Yeah, that would be cool! However its not the government or eircom or anyone like that that has a problem with it!

It's the companies who have copyrighted the tv shows, games and movies that is being downloaded and 100 euro isnt gonna cut it with these guys!

As far as the government is concerned its none of their business, all they want is, to supply a public service and improve the Eircom DSL network, of which they only own 35% of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Ive gone through a few of the stickies above in the hope that it will clear up a few questions for me about the whole eircom and downloading thing...but im actually alot more confused then when I started! :o
    • Ok basically I know that if your with eircom you cant download movies or music from p2p - is that correct?
    • Or is it only from certain website you cant - the part about pirate bay confused me totally. If it is only certain websites, how do people know what they are and to avoid them??
    • Does this mean that people can still download stuff from p2p programmes like Frostwire, limewire and the likes?
    • Is it actually the downloading thats now illegal or what? how do they know what youve downloaded (eg a large file or photos is probably the same mb as a song or tv show, so how can they tell the difference)?
    • Is it only eircom thats enforcing this at the moment? are other ISP going to follow suit (or is that all off now because the EU rejected it)

Again sorry about not completely understanding the stickies, and if you can just give me all the information in laymans terms too :P

• Ok basically I know that if your with eircom you cant download movies or music from p2p - is that correct?
    Nor from any ISP, unless it's a paid for service and the copyright holder has given permission.
    • Or is it only from certain website you cant - the part about pirate bay confused me totally. If it is only certain websites, how do people know what they are and to avoid them??
    If you didn't pay for it, then it's definitely illegal.
    • Does this mean that people can still download stuff from p2p programmes like Frostwire, limewire and the likes?
    You can never download copyright material from P2P, or any other means, without permission.
    • Is it actually the downloading thats now illegal or what? how do they know what youve downloaded (eg a large file or photos is probably the same mb as a song or tv show, so how can they tell the difference)?
    It's always been illegal, not just now. They know because the corporations are watching the trackers, and in many cases, seeding what you download. So you're downloading from an agent of the record company or movie producers, and then they know exactly what you've done.
    • Is it only eircom thats enforcing this at the moment? are other ISP going to follow suit (or is that all off now because the EU rejected it)
    No ISP allows downloading of copyright material, it's against the T&Cs for them all. eircom are the only ISP that entered an agreement with IMRO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ok basically I know that if your with eircom you cant download movies or music from p2p - is that correct?

It is not what you can or cannot do, it is more about who owns the content of what you are downloading, and whether downloading that content is illegal or not.

I am with Eircom and I CAN download anything I want to, but to do so MAY be illegal, depending on who owns the rights to what I download and whether or not I have permission to download that.

Eircom is not blocking any sites that I am aware of, including thepiratebay.

If I download something which I have no rights to, then I may be prosecuted.

Like most things ...... you can break the law, but you may get caught and punished if you do.

You can download something to which you have no rights but you may get caught and punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

jor el wrote: »
    It's always been illegal, not just now. They know because the corporations are watching the trackers, and in many cases, seeding what you download. So you're downloading from an agent of the record company or movie producers, and then they know exactly what you've done.

Some people think that just because I use a private tracker I am safe against all the lawsuits and copyright letters through the door.

People who downloaded Star.Trek.TS.XviD-DEViSE from particular private tracker, (TL for those in the know ;) ), were tracked by BayTSP and got letters through the door.

You are being watched most of the time.

Be. Careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Why download anything?

Just watch online!

Watching online isnt illegal because you are not downloading illegal content into the country you live in.

Also get PeerGuardian if you download anything!

• Advertisement

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Watching online isnt illegal because you are not downloading illegal content into the country you live in.

Wrong. If it is being broadcast without permission, then that's illegal. Streaming still downloads to your computer, temporarily, but it's still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Why download anything?

Just watch online!

So misinformed.. there are millions out there that believe in this. Even more thinking PeerGuardian will protect them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

no
    Why download anything?

Just watch online!

:rolleyes:

Rapidshare ftmfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

It's not about not getting caught doing whatever you're doing, it's about the possibility that a precedent will be set that other court cases regarding censorship will refer to. That could change the internet, not just in Ireland either.

Here we go :mad: There'll soon be Big Brothers everywhere...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055598675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anyone else on eircom having problems connecting to www.rapidshare.com this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

nuxxx, no it is fine so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Colm Donnely

Why download anything?

Just watch online!

The only way to be 100% safe is to encrypt all your traffic and use an anonymous proxy. The Pirate Bay are starting a new VPN service to offer this - I think it's called ipredator.se - but it's not running yet. I hear that almost 200000 people have signed up for it!

Other good VPN's are strongvpn.com, smallvpn.com or torrentfreedom.com. If you Google for VPN you can find more.

I got a free account on blackVPN.com as they are still beta testing and giving out free accounts to anyone. Check their Twitter page - they have been posting free invites on there.

Cheers,
    Colm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Cheers for BlackVPN :) I tried it and it's pretty nice. I seem to have a Dutch IP ;)
    501535978.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Three Strikes Rejected In Spain

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090623/1918135337.shtml
    It seems like the recording industry's grand plan to get ISPs to be their copyright police isn't getting very far. Consumer and legal backlash around the world seems to have stopped it cold. The latest is in Spain, where the entire concept of a three strikes regime has been taken off the table. Instead, the plan in Spain is to go after file sharing sites and services -- as we've seen them do a lot lately. The only problem? Spanish courts have found both that personal, non-commercial file sharing is legal and that sites that are merely pointing to content are not liable for whether or not the content is infringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Hope UPC doesnt cave into IRMA tantrums and a judge rules against 3 strikes like what other EU countries are doin. Honestly who do these ppl think they are thinking they can mess about with ppls internet like that.

Advertisement