Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** eircom and Internet Censoring ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭dbrowne9212

are the video bay (the new pirate bay streaming video site in beta at the moment...) and sites like it going to be covered under this eircom arangment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here's a question. If you open webpage with illegally posted images, could you be done for copyright infringment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only if you save them for repeated later use. :)

THe Website is primary breaker of copyright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I love advertising:
    http://imgur.com/pWZK7.png

Guess who can pay their fine now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol, hope it manages to still provide free content or it will die anyway.

Interesting move:
    http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-closes-its-tracker-removes-torrents-090630/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just checking has ISOhunt.com been added to this list. Site seems to be down.

ISOhunt.com is up for me on digiweb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I haven't been able to connect to http://www.megaupload.com/ for the past week. Don't know if it has anything to do with this or not, though. Anyone else having problems with it?

I doubt they are blocking that site TBH. Try again and then try via a proxy if that doesn't work.

It isn't popular enough to deserve blockin over something like rapidshare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

has anyone ever receieved warnings from eircom about copyright?

not lawsuits from record companies etc - eircom itself - on its own behalf or others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I haven't been able to connect to http://www.megaupload.com/ for the past week. Don't know if it has anything to do with this or not, though. Anyone else having problems with it?

Yes, it looks like Eircom's foul play. I can't connect to megaupload.com either. Using BlackVPN it opens immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eoinsheehy

Great now were lowered to the level of Iran when the Government decides what we do and don't watch. Another glorious step backward for Eircom and The Goverment:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

http://69.5.88.227/

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Eoinsheehy wrote: »
    Great now were lowered to the level of Iran when the Government decides what we do and don't watch. Another glorious step backward for Eircom and The Goverment:mad:

The Government? what have they got to do with a deal between eircom and IRMA?

Exactly this is private companies censoring web pages. Shouldn't be allowed call themselves an ISP if they are only going to provide access to certain services and sites on the Internet IMO>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

...except that there's nothing in "ISP" that says that they can't offer a limited service. Caveat emptor applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On the upside, it's a private company in an open market.
    When eircom announced they weren't contesting this, I switched to BT. BT have just been served with the same demand eircom were and have announced there's no legal basis for it and they'll fight it.
    So now I've got a faster internet connection, I'm paying less for it, and they're going to court to avoid this deal.
    The free market's like a stopped clock I suppose - it has to get it right every so often...

Sparks wrote: »
    ...except that there's nothing in "ISP" that says that they can't offer a limited service. Caveat emptor applies.

Yes I know, it should be defined. It's ridiculous that it isn't already defined.

Just look at the service the likes of Clearwire were offering (don't know if they still are). Blocking all ports except 80 so not even mail apps could work on their network.

Or services that can't even support VOIP or gaming. Proper terms need to be assigned to each of these levels of service and should have to be included in their advertising.

They have shown time and time again they are incapable of being honest and upfront in their marketing and their terms and conditions with undefined caps masked by fair usage policy wording.

This is misleading and the consumer cannot know what they are purchasing. It should be regulated since they won't self-regulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Hi

If there is anyone sitting on the fence on this issue, I read this and though it would be appropriate:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

and a quick summary:

We are about to enter a situation where an australian owned company will block access to websites deemed "illegal" by various record labels. These record labels will be required to obtain a court order but since eircom will not object to any court order, any court action on behalf of the record label is likely to succeed.

One thing that I recommend is to take the time to explain the far reaching consequences of this to friends and neighbours whom may not be even aware of what is happening at the moment (but happily paying for broadband from their respective ISP). Their voices combined will speak louder than yours.

Perhaps including the blackoutireland logo (or whatever logo is chosen for this protest) in your email signums may also spread the message. Some of you control websites that you could also add the logo to.

The world is in a recession and people's attention is focussed on how they will provide for their families in the current climate. As such they may not have time for the concept of digital censorship and I do not believe its a coincidence as to the timing of this move by the record industry.

Apathy is the greatest enemy.

So lets get to work :)

Amazing quote. Was actually used by Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal. Won the case lol!

• Advertisement

Well most people are leaving eircom due to costs anyway so this will just be another incentive.

The only people loyal to eircom are older people that don't know anything else than Telecom Eireann.

I don't think you can convince those people. My da is signing up later this year for eircom broadband and he'll be moving to Smart once he does. Screw eircom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So now BT and UPC are being taken to court what does everyone thing will happen?

And the Deep packet inspection (wanted by the Rights Holders) may not be possible and breach of privacy illegal

Bad Phrom
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/10/phorm/

Also read about the Internet Hero and Villein awards
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/10/net_heroes_and_villains_recognised/

++ to Billy Bragg (Proposing better models of Music distribution)

-- to Austrialian Gov. (Proposing Internet Monitoring & Blocking)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 explode

I am about to enter a 12 month contract for Eircom broadband.
    What I need to know is will I be denied access to certain websites that will be accesible through other Irish ISPs or is the only downside of Eircom the potential of the 3-strike rule?
    (please don't use pricing as a counter argument, i have weighed this up already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

explode wrote: »
    will I be denied access to certain websites that will be accesible through other Irish ISPs
    Not as a result of this issue.
    explode wrote: »
    is the only downside of Eircom the potential of the 3-strike rule?
    With regard to this issue, yes.

Eircom's failure to deal with attacks on their DNS server is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 explode

Thanks for clarifying that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PplAreStrange

Hey, just wanted to share a fix for any DNS issue. Use open DNS instead:

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

just remeber that you will have to use the full url instaed of just typing
    youtube.com

you need to type
    http://www.youtube.com

enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

I was given permission to download a video from youtube to my computer (using DownloadHelper). However I'm now freaked out that If I do, eircom will be 'watching' me and think Im up to something illegal. Is it ok to download stuff from youtube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PplAreStrange

ashlingm wrote: »
    I was given permission to download a video from youtube to my computer (using DownloadHelper). However I'm now freaked out that If I do, eircom will be 'watching' me and think Im up to something illegal. Is it ok to download stuff from youtube?

first i would say...eircom isnt watching you...they dont have the systems to do that! just look at this dns (acutully its was more of a DDOS attack).

however, dont worry about it! Download what you want, when you want...if you cant do that, what's the point in have DSL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

Why are the music companys trying to get rid of youtube if some of them music companys are on youtube them selves.
    Like most singers are on you tube and have uploaded there own music

Advertisement