Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** eircom and Internet Censoring ***

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I apologise if this was mentioned can anyone clear this up for me I was sure it was an out of court settlement. However eircom claim it was a high court order. Which was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I apologise if this was mentioned can anyone clear this up for me I was sure it was an out of court settlement. However eircom claim it was a high court order. Which was it?

As I understand it, Eircom made an agreement before the case was called, and the court 'rubber stamped' the agreement. So it is an order of the court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

ShooterSF wrote: »

Eircom agreed not to challenge any court orders so the record company goes to court seeking order and eircom say like yeah whatever

If I was the judge, I'd have been puzzled by eircoms response too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So does this, in theory, mean that one can download whatever one likes, illegally, from sites such as Frostwire without fear of being prosecuted?

No, you cannot. This agreement doesn't mean that IRMA won't still go after people they believe are infringing copyright.
    As I understand it, Eircom made an agreement before the case was called, and the court 'rubber stamped' the agreement. So it is an order of the court.

Pretty much, yes. eircom didn't contest IRMA in court, and agreed to cut off user with the 3-strike policy before it went to court. IRMA still followed through with the court case, in order to seal the deal. It is believed that the censoring of Piratebay was also part of that out of court deal. It wasn't the court order that compelled eircom to do this though, as they had already agreed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Thanks guys. I'm doin my bit as my friend's and family's "computer guy" to help move them to move to an ISP that will stand up for their freedoms better and wanted to make sure I was right in my thinking before starting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

I still blame effing IRMA's big brother RIAA for this...I hate those guys seriously...

()() CENSOR MY ASS, EIRCOM!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

IRMA, RIAA, IFPI, BPI, RIANZ are all the same organisation of EMI, Warner, Sony BMG and Universal Vivendi.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Are they reporting peoples IP's or not. I've heard that they have but on the other hand I heard they've stopped after blocking of TPB. Does anyone know the specifics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has anyone on here actually been caught by the music companies or eircom yet or know of anyone that has ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1212/1224260596969.html

It looks like the eircom agreement could be up in the air once again...

• Advertisement
Advertisement