Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The dole

• 26-02-2009 6:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00285/que2_independent_285165t.jpg

Saw this pic in the paper of a queue outside a welfare office in Dun Laoghaire (thought that was a fairly well off place! but anway..) but it's really small in comparison to many others ive seen and they are getting longer and longer every single week and stretching around blocks in town. Everytime I see the queues I remind myself how lucky I still am to have a job. However im at risk of having to join the dole like so many others if things keep going the way they are.

I remember, not as long ago as this time last year even, there was so much snobbery surrounding the dole on boards and probrably rightly so. If you could not get a job then you were just too lazy. Today it's likely that many freinds you know and probrably family members have to go through queuing every week. Of course most people have no choice but to sign on - is it as degrading and humiliating as it was? Or is it alright now that everyone else is on the dole?:pac:

Are they still scroungers, bums etc etc?:pac:

As an aside I wonder how many of those queuing are Public Servants? - You know the people taking the real pain ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wouldn't go near the dole office, full of knackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

darkman2 wrote: »

is it as degrading and humiliating as it was? Or is it alright now that everyone else is on the dole?:pac:

No it's not .It's just sign of the times .You dont suddenly become a nobody or useless person just because you have to go on the dole .Life is not that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

Phase 1: Sign on

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Profit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

The rock and role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Ah the dole, I'll be signing on on Wednesday, The Indians stole my job!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

latchyco wrote: »
    Life is not that simple.

I know. Im referring to the snobbery that seems to have suddenly disappeared. Life was pretty simple for many for the last decade in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Ah the dole, I'll be signing on on Wednesday, The Indians stole my job!

boredathome82 82 now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Phase 1: Sign on

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Profit!

The great thing about the dole is.... there is no Phase 2!!!!

It's a guaranteed winner.

You've probably lost money on those 'get rich quick' schemes before but with this plan you know you'll get wealthy and fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a welfare office in Dun Laoghaire (thought that was a fairly well off place!

you obviously dont know dun laoghaire too well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

haha thats gas Jack, I'll have to get a new login name!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

you obviously dont know dun laoghaire too well

Im from the Northside, I rarely cross the river. Sorry for over estimating the area;)

Here is D4's reaction.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2007/0901/frontpageimage.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know. Im referring to the snobbery that seems to have suddenly disappeared. Life was pretty simple for many for the last decade in fairness!
    It was indeed and people should not forget , if you have had it good in last 10 years and now find it hard going, just remember that many many thousends of others have being there before, pre celtic tiger days .

Advertisement