Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Window vents enough?

• 26-02-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Quick question folks.

Are window vents enough to meet current building regulations?

We are currently building and we were only going to use window vents but I was talking to a friend today who is roughly at the same stage as myself. His engineer has told him that window vents are not good enough anymore to meet building regulations and you must have wall vents.

Just wondering is this correct.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

It depends on the number and type of trickle vents you have installed .

6500mm2* is required per habitable room - it is possible - but you need to check carefully

* more in kitchens / bathrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

additional issues if heating appliances fireplaces etc fitted
    see
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/
    for the various documents for Ireland

particularly F and J

How the Queen complies can be found here
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115313971412.html

[Same document letters apply]

You might get other ideas here

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sinnerboy wrote: »
    It depends on the number and type of trickle vents you have installed .

6500mm2* is required per habitable room - it is possible - but you need to check carefully

* more in kitchens / bathrooms

And the 6500m2 roughly equates to the 100mm dia pipe put in for wall vents.
    You can use window vents alright, just do the maths!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

one thing that always bugged me about window vents...

they can be closed completely shut...!!!

my understanding of the regs is that there needs to be constant background ventilation, anda controllable grill can be used to react to draughs... but how does completely shutting the vent comply??

also, with air tightness becoming a relevant issue....
    if you get a q50 value of 7 or less..... you need to increase background ventilation by 50%... how will this affect window vents??!?!?!?

i think this kind of ventilation will become obsolete very soon...

gman2k wrote: »
    And the 6500m2 roughly equates to the 100mm dia pipe put in for wall vents.
    You can use window vents alright, just do the maths!

or check carfefully ....

http://www.glazpart.com/glazing/pdfs/bba-overglaz.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hey guys,

I have exactly the same question..I wanted to achieve my ventilation requirements through using window vents if possible with additional timer/sensor controlled fans in bathrooms........

But I am totally ignorant (Sinnerboy..haven't a clue what that link is supposed to show, sorry!!) on all of this and dont even know what questions to ask of potential window supppliers regarding this...:confused:
    ..after all, all or most windows now have some type of trickle ventilation on them but this I presume is not enough...:confused:

So what do I need to do, dont want vents as such on walls and not sure can afford HRV...????

Ask you window supplier to demonstrate to you that they will fit trickle vents

And that they will be supplied in such a number and be of such a type that each room will served by 6500mm2 min vent area .

Also - with respect to any heat producing appliances( fires/ boilers/stoves ) ask those installers to put in writing to you that they are satisfied with the provision of ventilation specific to those appliances . Some appliances will require a PERMANENT vent i.e one you must NEVER close

Better still - hire an architectural technician :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Ask you window supplier to demonstrate to you that they will fit trickle vents

And that they will be supplied in such a number and be of such a type that each room will served by 6500mm2 min vent area .

Also - with respect to any heat producing appliances( fires/ boilers/stoves ) ask those installers to put in writing to you that they are satisfied with the provision of ventilation specific to those appliances . Some appliances will require a PERMANENT vent i.e one you must NEVER close

Better still - hire an architectural technician :)

Hey Sinnerboy,

thanks for that..will do....

Only plan on having 1 open fire (sitting room) and possibly a pot belly stove in a living area..For both of these, I have left gaps in my footings to vent them through floor(again not sure exactly if thats correct description or if it matters a jot here:confused:)

tks

Advertisement