Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to remember what you have learned

Options
  • 26-02-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

im havin major problems remembering stuff that ive learned say before xmas,i can easily get A's in my exams but then i forget the stuff again, especially for things like georgraphy learning those asnswers and stuff, how do you guys remember stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

They say once you understand something you have learnt it. They obviously never heard of the LC. :rolleyes:

I stick post its on my wall. Worked wonders for a comparative test the last day. Had each point on a different post it and the quotes in a different colour. :)

Go over different topics for a few minutes every night, stuff that you did a few weeks ago.

Don't learn answers. Learn information. Information is far easier to recall than a rote-learned answer; and, you'll actually be giving yourself an education, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

K4t wrote: »

I stick post its on my wall. Worked wonders for a comparative test the last day. Had each point on a different post it and the quotes in a different colour. :)

Absolute genius! I'm gonna buy some sticky notes now, nice one. It'll really help (since I can't read long structured paragraphs) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

My English teacher did the same when she was doing her LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

They say once you understand something you have learnt it. They obviously never heard of the LC. :rolleyes:

This is the best advise to give. I found that once I truly understood something it stayed with me.

Mnemonics are a great help too.

And I used to have really weird ways of remembering things. I used to always mix up CATabolic reactions with anabolic reactions.

So I thought of a cat ripping up furniture with its claws, converting the couch to smaller pieces. :pac:

And EUkaryotic cells are in YOU thus they are more complex than those silly bacterial prokaryotes.

It might sound silly but it really helped me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did the sticking things on my wall, I had every single physics definition in the book (surprisingly large number of them) on the wall where I studied... though it was somewhat pointless as I never looked at them, but making them made me feel productive, I sort of already knew most of them anyway. I had bullet points on English too, a page for each poet so I could glance at it in passing and it be refreshed.

Otherwise, yeah, understanding things, in the case of science or definition based things helps you remember it, and in the case of English/Irish etc., literature studying etc., actually sitting down and thinking about the points you're making and coming up with your own ideas and going through how you'd reason them out etc., will also help. Taking someone else's work/notes/ideas and just trying to suddenly remember it all is, I imagine, somewhat difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

I think people have different ways of learning. Some prefer to read, others to read and then re-write, others prefer things to be explained to them, others like visual aids, others like hand son stuff. Find your own preferred option.
    I think by teaching or explaining a topic to someone else helps me to remember.

Filter out the important stuff. Most of the stuff you read is just padding.
    But once you actually understand what you're reading you'll remember it.
    Its a matter of linking the things you are learning to things you've already learned and progressing from there.
    Visualising is a good way of remembering stuff. The crazier and more animated the better as you tend to remember 'MAD' stuff quicker than the Mundane!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

post its on the wall opposite your bed. First thing you see when u wake up, last thing you see when you go to bed It's get's embedded into your sub-conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

This is the best advise to give. I found that once I truly understood something it stayed with me.

And I used to have really weird ways of remembering things. I used to always mix up CATabolic reactions with anabolic reactions.

So I thought of a cat ripping up furniture with its claws, converting the couch to smaller pieces. :pac:

And EUkaryotic cells are in YOU thus they are more complex than those silly bacterial prokaryotes.

Even easier.

CRAP

catoblismrespirationanabolismphotosynthesis. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Seconded. It's brilliant for business. The post its are the best though. As another poster mentioned, it gets ingrained into your subconscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Just do loads of exam papers and questions. By doing them, you actually test yourself. Don't use a book and see how you do in a question. It's a really good way to see what you've learned. I also find that if I don't get a question right, when I do find the answer, that sticks with me and I remember it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I find that Physical Geography is always far easier to retain in your memory than Regional and stuff, because for example - you can picture how a waterfall is formed. You can't picture Drogheda becoming a complete ****hole though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

Any tips for learning home-ec??? I have to learn the whole course over the next three months....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think learning samples answers can be useful especially for geography IMO. I just remember the structure of the answer than just manipulate it for the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

In fact, what I find to happen is, the more silly it sounds the better!!

Why? Cause you'll always be thinking "God's that so stupid the way I used ___ to remember ___" or whatever.
    Make it sound stupid, corny and obscene.
    Chance's are you'll remember it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Yeah actually that's a good point. My friend has the mnemonic Such Fun Such Fun Chemistry Fun pH for water treatment in his second hand book. It's so stupid but it's stuck with me ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

How often and when you review material is important in terms of long term memory.

curve_of_forgetting.jpg

curve_of_learning.jpg

http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infocs/study/curve.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

When I did my LC I remembered things by making songs out of things.

I've recommended this technique to people who play music and they said it works. Doesn't work for everyone but it might help some.

420 points can't be bad. :)

Advertisement