Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is underfloor heating economical working on a condensing boiler?

• 26-02-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Folks

I am looking at underfloor heating at the moment for a 3,000 sqft new build and a few people have said that it is very expensive working on an oil condensing boiler?
    Would anybody be able to tell me if this is true? or if anybody has it what sort of money are they spending on oil per year?
    Also what are the pros and cons if anybodody has any I would be grateful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Rads or UFH will require the same energy to heat you - so will consume the same amount of fuel

Why are you considering a boiler for heating at all ? If you invest in the design and detailed construction of your house - you wont need one ...

http://www.sei.ie/Renewables/REIO_Library/PH_Guidelines_July_'08.pdf

Just a tiny boiler ( or better still wood stove ) for hot water during winter when your solar panels can't provide hot water .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

people have said that it is very expensive working on an oil condensing boiler?

Peoples perceptions of how UFH should operate is based on their experience with rads. UFH and normal rads are completely different animals so when they compare the running operation they feel that UFH is costing an arm and a leg.

Effectly with UFH the floorspace becomes the "radiator". The key difference is that time that it takes to get the larger floorspace to come up to a sufficient temperature to effect the rest of the room, versus the time that it takes the radiators to make their impace.

Sinnerboy I'm not sure about rads and UFH requiring the same amount of energy. I thought that UFH operated at a much lower temperature than rads, hence the less energy required to bring the circulated water up to sufficient temperature?

Advertisement