Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormley - Pushing more people to shop up North...

Options
  • 26-02-2009 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

If ever retailers in the country need a break it's now, how could anyone consider doing this when shops are trying to compete with the North...
    CONSUMERS COULD end up paying for parking in out-of-town shopping centres as a possible revenue generator for local authorities, Minister for the Environment John Gormley has said.

The Minister said that he was in no doubt that out-of-town shopping centres were having a detrimental impact on town centres and that free car parking was a “huge attraction”.

He told an Oireachtas committee that such centres are often built on the borders between town and county local authorities and get revenue through rates and development levies, but town and city centres suffer as a result.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0226/1224241835901.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

His view would seem to be a result of a very narrow minded frame of mind. Maybe the Greens dont like to complicate issues by thinking about them overly much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

thats the one saving grace of out of town shopping centres ,I can get into town just as quickly as blanchardstown.

The bloke is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

He'll start charging for parking in your own driveway next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just order on line and leave the car parks empty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Moronic TBH, purely revenue generation and to try to force people to go to more expensive city centre shops because they have higher rents.

Why doesn't he attack their landlords to reduce the rent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

The Minister said that he was in no doubt that out-of-town shopping centres were having a detrimental impact on town centres

Then why the f*ck did they give planning permission for them?

This is an example of "sustainable development" from the fianna fail gangsters and their home-boys in the banks and the golden circle.

They built a whole bunch of cráp we don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Daithinski wrote: »

This is an example of "sustainable development" from the fianna fail gangsters and their home-boys in the banks and the golden circle.

Seriously the blame for this lies squarely with local politicians not national ones. The local elections are coming up, you're unintentionally doing them a favour by deflecting attention further up the chain with such comments.

People need to make their voices heard at the ballot box and on the doorstep this summer if they want to see meaningful change in local planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Daithinski wrote: »

John Gormley is a Green, and the Greens are opposed to out of town supermalls. The planning permission will have been given by Fianna Fáil, who aren't. The PP can't have been given by the Greens, because they've been in government less than two years, and you can't build a shopping centre in less than two years.

numerately,
    Scofflaw

Have I read this correctly .....

The "Greens" ,want to promote congestion in city centres ?

Yeah ,lets cost the country more money by delaying the few people who actually have jobs.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Have I read this correctly .....

The "Greens" ,want to promote congestion in city centres ?

Yeah ,lets cost the country more money by delaying the few people who actually have jobs.

The theory, which is well-practised in better planned countries, is pretty simple. You put the services where people live, and the through traffic outside. Out of town shopping centres do the reverse.

The arithmetic is simple: services further away from people's homes mean more car-miles. More car-miles means more congestion, not less.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Blanchardstown ,Liffey valley are places I presume that gormley is proposing to charge ?
    I think they promote consumerism ,blanchardstown is always busy and this would affect it. It would slow things down ,when we need to have people spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Blanchardstown ,Liffey valley are places I presume that gormley is proposing to charge ?
    I think they promote consumerism ,blanchardstown is always busy and this would affect it. It would slow things down ,when we need to have people spending.

Yes but the unfortunate truth of the matter is that painful legislation like this is almost impossible to pass in the good times. I accept your point but the longer term picture needs to be about reducing the amount of traffic on our roads and out-of-town shopping centres do not help with this.

It doesn't slow things down as much as displace them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

nesf wrote: »
    Yes but the unfortunate truth of the matter is that painful legislation like this is almost impossible to pass in the good times. I accept your point but the longer term picture needs to be about reducing the amount of traffic on our roads and out-of-town shopping centres do not help with this.

Yeah ,tell me about it.

Things can't get much worse than they are now I suppose.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It doesn't slow things down as much as displace them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

It seems a shame that the greens are doing this ,to sustain high rent prices though. Never thought I'd see the greens in this light.

It seems a shame that the greens are doing this ,to sustain high rent prices though. Never thought I'd see the greens in this light.

To sustain high rent prices? How so?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    To sustain high rent prices? How so?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

Well ,that was the issue raised by city centre shop owners yesterday. They were demanding rent drops because of lack of business ,which seems fair enough to me.

So this comes out today ,it seems strange that someone wouldn't link the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I wonder will this impact on the dawn of congestion charges in city centres ?

Well ,that was the issue raised by city centre shop owners yesterday. They were demanding rent drops because of lack of business ,which seems fair enough to me.

So this comes out today ,it seems strange that someone wouldn't link the two.

Ah, I see - I hadn't heard the rent drop demand, but I doubt that's the reasoning behind it. However, if it did support city centre rents, that would still be more useful, since lots of people own bits of the city centre, whereas the out of town centres tend to belong to the same small group of developers.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thebman wrote: »
    Moronic TBH, purely revenue generation and to try to force people to go to more expensive city centre shops because they have higher rents.

Why doesn't he attack their landlords to reduce the rent?
    Well what could be done is that parking has to be charged for and that is used to offset rents and say local transport initiatives.

This would discourage car usage while leaving prices much the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement