Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring Classic Daily Driver

• 26-02-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Which company is best for insuring a classic daily driver?
    Want to change my car soon and the fuppin' bapstard insurers are making it very difficult.
    Despite the fact that I have a full, clean license for 2 years and have never had as much as a parking ticket. I'm in my 30's and have been driving (insured) for over 2 years but according to their criteria I have no NCB :mad:

I thought I'd get around this by buying classic. I have found the ideal car and a going to see it tomorrow. Rang around a few companies today but no joy. Any advice would be super.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

carcheaologist is the man ask, expert at that type of thing;)

Put ya, I'd be very careful going for a classic as a daily driver, unless you know your stuff about cars? Could be alot more hassle than you bargained for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Cheers Limerick Man. I'm a bit of an amateur spanner jockey and classics can sometimes be easier to maintain (no injection, ecu etc.) I don't want to put anybody else wide to the minter I found but it's got a legendary V8...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kazul wrote: »
    Cheers Limerick Man. I'm a bit of an amateur spanner jockey and classics can sometimes be easier to maintain (no injection, ecu etc.) I don't want to put anybody else wide to the minter I found but it's got a legendary V8...

Lol, best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

carcheaologist is the man ask, expert at that type of thing;)

Put ya, I'd be very careful going for a classic as a daily driver, unless you know your stuff about cars? Could be alot more hassle than you bargained for.

your joking.. I have had more hassle with modern cars than classics, with modern cars, you cannot even change an air filter without having special tools to remove the silly covers from the engine bay, try changing a light bulb... forget about changing a head gasket, special tools required for jobs like this.. I had a modern car, it broke down, I called the AA, they plugged there diagnostic computer in and could not find the fault, took it to a garage, same thing, turns out the baffles in the cat had collapsed, cost of a new cat!! forget it, I bought a nice 1976 Reliant Scimitar GTE for the price of a new cat on the modern car....

Classic cars are easy to work on, just make sure you carry spare parts in the boot and a tool box ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

kazul wrote: »

what is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

CamperMan wrote: »
    your joking.. I have had more hassle with modern cars than classics, with modern cars, you cannot even change an air filter without having special tools to remove the silly covers from the engine bay, try changing a light bulb... forget about changing a head gasket, special tools required for jobs like this.. I had a modern car, it broke down, I called the AA, they plugged there diagnostic computer in and could not find the fault, took it to a garage, same thing, turns out the baffles in the cat had collapsed, cost of a new cat!! forget it, I bought a nice 1976 Reliant Scimitar GTE for the price of a new cat on the modern car....

Classic cars are easy to work on, just make sure you carry spare parts in the boot and a tool box ;)

I agree... A classic car breaks down, it'll cost you a couple of tenners and a bit of elbow grease... One of them modern yokes breaks down and you have to remortgage your house... I drive a new ish Renault Megane so i know all about that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Who says classics dont have fuel injection ?

Both mine do, one is 41 years old and the other is 45, and thankfully its all mechanical so almost as reliable as an old diesel and no carbs to worry about.

As said my cars have been faultless over the last 8 1/2 years, never let me down and I have used them very regularly.

Good luck with your purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I insured my car with Axa as a daily driver last year (it's a '74 BMW 2002tii). It's my only car, so many classic policies weren't open to me. They wanted €350-ish to renew this year, so I went with Carole Nash instead who don't insist on a main car policy in addition to the classic. But then I don't actually do much mileage, so that's the real issue - can you keep the mileage to 4000 p/a?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

Firstly, he say's he's been insured, if this means under another driver on a policy, then no you don't actually have a No Claims Bonus, only a policyholder earns that. However, even a named driver will earn some entitlement to a discount on taking a policy of their own. A male in their 30's, with full licence, and 2 yrs experience is not a problem, the vehicle(he say's its a V8), could be. It is entirely possible to get cover on a classic daily driver, with no restrictions. You just need to search for it. I have an 84 Alfa Spider insured on a daily policy(though i use it only on the odd occassion), comp cover, glass etc for less than €300 p.a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

milod wrote: »
    I insured my car with Axa as a daily driver last year (it's a '74 BMW 2002tii). It's my only car, so many classic policies weren't open to me. They wanted €350-ish to renew this year, so I went with Carole Nash instead who don't insist on a main car policy in addition to the classic. But then I don't actually do much mileage, so that's the real issue - can you keep the mileage to 4000 p/a?

Is that TPFT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭COB MGV8

Best of luck with the V8 - I've had one for two years and it is great fun to drive - BUT you do need to know what you are buying and be handy with spanners and the like.

Get plenty of advice and check out this web site for buyers guides on
    www.v8register.com .

Is it a factory original or a modified 1.8 ? Is it an Irish car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

MercMad wrote: »
    Who says classics dont have fuel injection ?

Both mine do, one is 41 years old and the other is 45, and thankfully its all mechanical so almost as reliable as an old diesel and no carbs to worry about.

As said my cars have been faultless over the last 8 1/2 years, never let me down and I have used them very regularly.

Good luck with your purchase.

Sorry, was just throwing out examples :rolleyes:. I hope you know what I meant. Don't know if/when the deal can go ahead so feast your eyes...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Rover/P6/3500S-P6/200909191953231/advert

I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but looks good from here.

Advertisement