Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to finally end the St.Patricks Day Travel Junket?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Every St. Patrick's day, politicians and local councilors seem to depart the country like snakes being driven out by St.Patrick himself.

All local councils are guilty of this offense, as was highlighted by St.Joe of Duffy on his show this week, by sending elected councilors as far afield as Australia, New Zealand and Asia.

Apart from sending Cowen out to deliver the annual bowl of the green stuff out to the White House, what use is this exercise in terms of the 100's of politicians that fly out every year?

Firstly, do you see politicians from other countries departing their respective countries on Bastile Day, St. George's Day and Independence day? No you don't.

Secondly, do you have any idea how much this hits the Irish taxpayer? These guys ain't traveling steerage - a first-class flight to the states via Aer Lingus costs in the region of 6K, never mind the expensed beauty treatment needed for spouses et al once on site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

Is there a recession then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They like to go out in style, like rockstars, no taxi from the airports from them, a nice fleet of limos should do them nicely while people struggle to make ends meet and die on trolleys in a backward third world health system. They remind me so much of this corrupt dictatorship http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/africa/7574824.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

It might be more appropriate to send the president instaed of Cowen. What else does she do anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Every St. Patrick's day, politicians and local councilors seem to depart the country like snakes being driven out by St.Patrick himself.

All local councils are guilty of this offense, as was highlighted by St.Joe of Duffy on his show this week, by sending elected councilors as far afield as Australia, New Zealand and Asia.

Apart from sending Cowen out to deliver the annual bowl of the green stuff out to the White House, what use is this exercise in terms of the 100's of politicians that fly out every year?

Firstly, do you see politicians from other countries departing their respective countries on Bastile Day, St. George's Day and Independence day? No you don't.

Secondly, do you have any idea how much this hits the Irish taxpayer? These guys ain't traveling steerage - a first-class flight to the states via Aer Lingus costs in the region of 6K, never mind the expensed beauty treatment needed for spouses et al once on site.

Apparently the "Shamrock Ceremony" is going ahead.

Embarrassing paddywhackery at its worst !

I wonder if Cowen will have the cheek to use a Waterfors Crystal Bowl for the shamrock ?

But seriously, the whole presenting shamrock in a bowl is just plain emabarassing at this stage. Time to end it.

And if any other ministers even think of leaving the country to engage in cringe inducing paddywhackery in other countries, we should blockade every airport/runway in the country.

I wonder if the junkets will happen this year ? It would be a serious two fingers to the population if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

in fairness though, about the shamrock thing ,us Irish might think its cheesy, but Id say the Irish Americans lap all that up!!!

As for him going over, It would have been a great PR move if he kindly declined the offer from the White house on the grounds that he couldnt afford to leave as he was too busy and didnt want to waste tax payers money.
    Ah well though he is human I guess,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

There was some idiot on liveline yesterday advocating the practice and citing it was important to keep a profile with communities in the US, as people may be emigrating. Local Government Councillors and TD 's will carry on as usual, with their guaranteed expenses and salaries and expenses for the latter.The recession will not affect them adversely one can be sure of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I think it is ok that they do it. It's just a PR thing..showing that we are still able to continue relatively normally and it improves relations. I'm sure Fine Gael or Labour would do it too if they were in government. Of course it could be cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I had often wondered about this. Apart from the hideous waste of taxpayers' money, I just don't see the logic of politicians leaving the country on the main national holiday of the year. It should be a day where visitors come to Ireland instead!

Wait! Maybe it would be worth it if they all went on a one-way ticket and never came back :cool::D:)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭brendanb586

Hey, I'm in the US and it's all they are talking about at the moment; not the stimulus, not the budget, not unemployment, but Brian Cowen to come over and give Obama a basket of clover :rolleyes:

Every day, there is some important announcement on the news and Obama is seen as serious and busy; there is no way the American population want to see him bowing to the Irish American lobby at this time.

If a tradition needs to be maintained, let McAleese give the shamrock to Joe Biden in the White House, but ffs, no trade is going to come out of a wasteful junket like this... who know's, meeting Cowen might persuade Obama to move quicker on repatriotising US companies when he hears how much is being laundered invested through Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

It is endemic though isnt it???

I personally know a Councillor, and their whole family gets brought on junkets.

Said councillor is not FF so unfortunatley I get the feeling that across the mainstream political spectrum the attitude to the perks is largely the same.

Grab it while its hot

• Advertisement
Advertisement