Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building darkroom in work a quick question needs awnsering please

• 26-02-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hi guys, ive designed a darkroom for work and the builders have asked for specifics regarding what type of film would be processed and who manufactures the film i'll be using and they also want to know how many nanometers do i need to block out?
    can anyone help me with this as i havent a clue why they are asking me this, im a photographer and dont want to appear dumb when it comes to this but im at a loss? I know that i predominantly use ilford 400speed HP5 film, but does this actually make much of a difference?
    please advise me on what to email back to the builders?
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

this sounds a bit weird, are they basically asking how dark the darkroom needs to be? is this a commercial darkroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi, its getting built in a college as part of a new building. I have been using a darkroom thats been in the old building for nearly ten years, long before i have been there. Basically i drew up the plans for it and told them the layout... but i haven't a clue about the technical aspects of the safe lights? im at a loss and the builders need to know the answers soon.
    Any ideas what i can say to them?

it doesnt have to be totally dark but dont tell the builders that say it must be.

if its a large darkroom, consider these EncapSulite safelights for printing

http://www.richards.uk.com/safeindx.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

As a Project Manager who has managed design teams and builders in the same kind of project as this and many others. The answer is simple. you simply state the room is to be light tight . simple design will ensure this... like for example .. (duh!) no windows.

if they insist on asking a nanometer specification, ask them to clarify what code this comes from as it sounds like a bunch of bovine excrement to me as an excuse to charge more. If you have compotent consultants on board , you should not even need to be asked this question by the builder. It seems you are the Client, you are paying consultants to filter this bs away from you, make them earn their fees!

regards

Anthony

hi guys, ive designed a darkroom for work and the builders have asked for specifics regarding what type of film would be processed and who manufactures the film i'll be using and they also want to know how many nanometers do i need to block out?
    can anyone help me with this as i havent a clue why they are asking me this, im a photographer and dont want to appear dumb when it comes to this but im at a loss? I know that i predominantly use ilford 400speed HP5 film, but does this actually make much of a difference?
    please advise me on what to email back to the builders?
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I don't get that either?? As long as its light tight it shouldn't matter what type of film you're using? There are different colour safelights for different papers, but that's just a filter over the box anyway...

Unless there's something I'm missing here (and there could well be) it does sound like they're trying to sound technical so they can possibly charge more? I'd ask them why they need to know..

• Advertisement

of course if you want to hire a darkroom design consultant, my rates are reasonable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

One thing about nanometers:

The human eye is sensitive to electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths between about 380 and 700 nanometers. This radiation is known as light or visible spectrum The eye has three classes of color-sensitive light receptors called cones, which respond roughly to red, blue and green light (around 650, 530 and 460 nm, respectively).

So maybe they are asking what part of the spectrum you want to filter? Seems to be a redundant question?
    Good luck.

thanks for the advice guys. I do find it strange that they are asking what nanometers and what type of film etc... but it makes sense when some of you say that the builders could be contracting a specific consultant who must be seen to be earning their money. I reckon im gonna go with the fact that the room must be light tight and that is the only requirement. regarding the specific safe lights i havent got a notion as i thought that the safe lights where 'normal' lights with various filters over them (proving my ignorance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

regarding the specific safe lights i havent got a notion as i thought that the safe lights where 'normal' lights with various filters over them (proving my ignorance)

Nope. Far as I know you're spot on :) And that's the paper you print on - not the film...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Reading between the lines here I think the contractor has worded his request incorrectly.

My feeling is he wants to know which colour (nanometers) safelight you want installed & how bright it needs to be. There are various gels for different papers, I think the bulb in the DCC Darkrooms are 40W, but not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi positivenote

Here's a link to the HP5 datasheet - shows spectral sensitivity between approx 350 to 660nm.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2007321132461251.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 whitetea

Seems like very professional builders anyway....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Taking pictures is like tiptoeing into the kitchen late at night and stealing Oreo cookies. - Diane Arbus

hi guys,
    if i can update you on the replies from the builders this is the email that they sent me...

"in response to your mail, I was of the understanding that the type of
    safelight for a Darkroom was heavily dependent on the film to be
    developed in this area.

However I was informed that for General Purpose Darkrooms in colleges
    etc that an R10 safelight, that is used for Black and White up to 600nm
    was preferable.

Could you confirm that this is acceptable at your earliest convenience? "

Id appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on how to reply to this. once again its b/w ilford film that will be processed in the darkroom and the paper will also be ilford.... still not sure why the builders are requiring this kind of info tbh.
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement