Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera for my Mom

• 26-02-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just wondering what type of camera to buy for my Mom.

Budget 120 - 150

Compact - Digital

Very Easy to use with big viewing LCD
    Use for family photos and anture mostly.

All recommendations appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Surprised this hasn't picked up a reply as yet - everyone lovin their own gear etc...

Well i'll add the first one which I got for my wife at Christmas - the Pentax Optio M50 and in the upper part of the price range I think. I'm Pentax on the DSLR front so it was my first port of call.

The only downside i'd perceive is that it lacks an optical viewfinder if that were important but it has a really big LCD screen and a single 'green' button which sets it into Auto EVERYTHING. Now green mode is dross to me but my wife loves it and while I'm busy making a pigs ear of the settings on the SLR she asks me to set up her camera for her and all i need do is press the green button and hand it back to her allowing me more time to make a pigs ear of my own settings. And of course she then wonders why my camera doesn't set up as easy as hers :D

Over Christmas I only used the Optio and to be fair to it I found it a lot of fun with pretty decent results but that's exactly what I would have expected from Pentax given my experience with the DSLR's. You can get into manual settings if you really want to and that's fun too. Oh, it does face recognition which is clever - not that a *real* photographer would ever use it but to see it in 'live view' mode following the face as it moves is interesting.

The Optio is small and a real compact. It would neatly fit into a clutch bag if needed.

I know there has to be more recommendations. Come on Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus lovers. Speak up for your guilty pleasure (no your camera brand!).

Advertisement