Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMS on iPhone?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭

OK so I recently decided to try out the iPhone as I was due an upgrade from O2 for ages so I took the plunge. Happy enough with it but obviously there is no MMS. I knew this before getting it but I figured I rarely used the MMS feature on my old phone anyway. However I would still like the option to have it as occasionally I get sent MMS messages. What are my options as regards getting MMS on my iPhone?

I'm bill pay with O2 by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

SwirlyMMS is available now through Cydia. Works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

CivilEx wrote: »

I believe you must subscribe for the MMS service from O2, didn't worked for me

rai555 wrote: »
    I believe you must subscribe for the MMS service from O2, didn't worked for me
    You need to ring Customer Care and ask them to provision it on your account

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

You need to ring Customer Care and ask them to provision it on your account

would they tell ya that iPhone not able for mms?

• Advertisement

rai555 wrote: »
    would they tell ya that iPhone not able for mms?
    I think any iPhone user is entitled to take the sim card out of their phone and use it another phone if they wanted to send a MMS. I don't think CC will have any issues with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What is it? Some application you download?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Google is your friend here.

Cydia is a bit like the App store (only on Jailbroken phones). SwirlyMMS is an Application that you can download from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

If someone sends a MMS to my iPhone, I get a regular text with an url and a password that allows me to view the picture online. Works great and keeps all my MMS pictures centralised on the webpage. A fine solution, if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    If someone sends a MMS to my iPhone, I get a regular text with an url and a password that allows me to view the picture online. Works great and keeps all my MMS pictures centralised on the webpage. A fine solution, if you ask me.
    O2 no longer provide this service.

Random wrote: »

Now that sucks. Why the hell did they stop this service? Surely it wasn't costing that much to host a few small photos on a webpage? Here was I, dead impressed with a good service and it's gone without so much as a by your leave.:mad:

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Now that sucks. Why the hell did they stop this service? Surely it wasn't costing that much to host a few small photos on a webpage? Here was I, dead impressed with a good service and it's gone without so much as a by your leave.:mad:
    Operational reasons or something. Seen a thread on the O2 forum but can't find it now to link you to it. They have something else planned for later this year.

The texts that you get sending you to the O2 website to check your MMS if it's not setup on your handset should stop within the next few days.

Operational reasons or something. Seen a thread on the O2 forum but can't find it now to link you to it. They have something else planned for later this year.

The texts that you get sending you to the O2 website to check your MMS if it's not setup on your handset should stop within the next few days.

Bah, it still sucks.
    It's stopped now, I sent myself a mms from my wife's phone earlier and nothing. The address that I used to be sent to is down. Does someone get charged if they send me a MMS, not realising I can't receive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Meteor still do. ;)

Meteor still do. ;)
    As do Vodafone. What's your point?
    Does someone get charged if they send me a MMS, not realising I can't receive them?
    Yes they will. Networks charge you when you send (generally) and not whether the other person receives or not.

If O2 have stopped this service, what have they done in lieu of it? Surely there is a mechanism to retrieve an MMS even if your phone does not have that feature

:confused:

If O2 have stopped this service, what have they done in lieu of it? Surely there is a mechanism to retrieve an MMS even if your phone does not have that feature

:confused:
    You simply won't get the MMS if your phone is not setup is how I understand it according to how Daryll (or may have been Paddy) explained it on the O2 forum.

Doesn't this seem like a crazy position comercially for O2 to have adopted i.e. to have foregone the potential revenue that the MMS service might have generated, particularly in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joey_bloggs

• Advertisement
Advertisement