Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB email anouncing speed increase

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Got an email today saying my package was being upgraded from 4mb symmetrical to 6mb. I am an IBB fixed wireless customer on the woodcock hill transmitter in Limerick.

Just wondering if anyone knows will this mean a change of IP for me. I know they usually change your ip if you choose to upgrade or downgrade your service but for a mass upgrade will they leave it alone?

Oh yes, my monthly invoice is going up by €10 a month. I can live with that...the service has been very good 98% of the time.

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=27

Tks,
    Owen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I noticed that they are offering 4MB symetrical now for €55 euro to residential customers. I am currently on the 3MB service that costs €48 euro. I think I will be getting that upgraded anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I got the email too.

I'm getting upgraded from 3MB to 4MB.
    Will pay €55 per month, instead of €48.

I didn't request this. I don't want to pay €84 more per year for 1 more miserable MB of speed.

From a practical usage point of view, 4MB vs 3MB doesn't make a real difference.

If given the choice very few people would choose to the 4MB @ €55 vs the 3MB @ €48.

This is no practical benefit for the customer in this upgrade.
    They are forcing their customers to a more expensive offer.

A real upgrade would be to get that extra 4MB for free, or getting to choose to upgrade to something like 6MB for €55.

In the end, their are scamming their customers, charging €84 more per year without spending themselves much more on their bandwidth costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It will very likely increase contention by 1.33x,
    so if contention wass 48:1 (the legal FWALA maximum), increasing speed from 3Mbps to 4Mbps (on average) without more spectrum or new equipment increases contention to 64:1

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

They have confirmed no IP change and I have asked if it will still be a symmetrical service i.e. 6up and down @ 24.1

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

uteotw wrote: »
    I didn't request this. I don't want to pay €84 more per year for 1 more miserable MB of speed.

You are not being forced into the upgrade. Read the bottom of the email you got.

To be honest, I've had quite good service on my 3Mb/3Mb, soon to be 4Mb/4Mb connection. For the amount of times I have witnessed ADSL disconnecting in numerous premises or modems getting whacked with a power spike etc, makes me glad I use fixed wireless and a Buffalo WIFI router running DD-WRT. I also run FTP from home and the fast upload gives me download speeds in the region of 250MBps while onsite compared to a puny upload of 512Kbps on ADSL (I know it has it's limitations).

Although I (we) pay a slightly more expensive monthly fee, I feel I'm getting a relatively good deal. My .02c worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

humaxf1 wrote: »
    You are not being forced into the upgrade. Read the bottom of the email you got.

Quote from the email "These improved Breeze services will continue to deliver great benefits and value to your business,
    however, under the terms of your contract you do have the right to cancel your service within 30 days without
    penalty if you do not accept this package change. If you have any questions about this change to your package
    please contact our customer care team on 1890 56 44 56 or e-mail support@irishbroadband.ie"

The way I understand this is: Cancel the service, meaning cancel your IBB contract e.g. no more Broadband with IBB, or accept the price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Agreed. An extra 1mb isnt gonna make any real difference to me so I'm gonna fire them off an email asking can I not be upgraded.

The only reason I got breeze was because at the time it was the only service I could get. I have never had any problems with it but at 55 euro for a 4mb line I might consider going elsewhere, now that I have the option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Franky Stein

The way I understand this is: Cancel the service, meaning cancel your IBB contract e.g. no more Broadband with IBB, or accept the price increase.

Yep, thats what i got from them when I emailed them. There is no option but to pay the increase on cancel your account.

Guess it looks like I'm going to 2MB->4MB on my home account in the not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This is a complete joke, I have IBB for a few years and am very happy with the 3mb service but 48 euro a month was already pushing it, now they are going to force everyone to pay 55 euro a month or cancel the broadband? They are really my only option because im about 5km away from the local phone exchange and adsl around here would top out at 1mb..
    Now to convince the old man to keep them on.. (might be hard with the upcoming levies.. )

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

that the reason there's no more 2mbit package is because they want to screw us. i'm currently on 2mbit, for €36. i got in touch with ibb/imagine about these "upgrades", and was told in *no uncertain terms* that there will no longer be a €36 package. that's grand if you're already on 3mbit and don't mind paying an extra couple of quid.

if you're on 2mbit, you'll be hiked up to €55 for the 4mbit package. no choice in the matter. basically, pay €19 for the upgrade, or f*ck off to some other isp.

be forwarned, fellow 2mbit customers, no longer a decent package for the money, IMO.

d.

• Advertisement
Advertisement