Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wrote Galways Wikitravel entry?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

I dunno, it really made me laugh :D
    The airport is about 10km east of the town, but public transportation links are poor, with only one bus per day, departing the bus station at 12.50 and returning from the airport at 13.25. If you do take this route please let them know this is poor!! There is another bus service that only goes outbound, it leaves the Central Station at 16:15. A taxi will cost about €15 and upward to €20, this is high as the Airport charges €5 to taxis serving the airport. You could walk to a nearby petrol station [5mins] and call one from there, saving €5.
    Avoid taking the car when going to or anywhere near the town centre.
    DO: Check local free paper the Galway Advertiser
    Technically drinking in public is not allowed in Galway but enforcement of this rule is unfeasible during summer months and well behaved groups are usually left alone. Don't mingle too near to obviously drunk people though as the authorities will likely confiscate all visible alcohol.
    The Victoria Hotel once an old fogeys paradise has been an underground haunt for fans of electronica on Fridays and Saturdays for some time now
    Even by Irish standards, Galway has a ridiculous abundance of B&Bs.
    Like most cities in Ireland, there are some run down areas. For its size, Galway does not have many but there are still some suburbs that are better avoided by anyone unfamiliar with the area such as ballybane ballinfoyle and westside.

This made my evening :D

http://wikitravel.org/en/Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

:D

Funny because it's true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah try getting a B&B race week eh!!! or any accomodation for that matter!!

yeah all sad bu true im afraid!!!

But us Galwegians are just so damn friendly!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Some good bits in there. But you gotta love this from the Ireland TravelWiki:
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Ireland#Stay_safe
    Respect

Often, in smaller towns and villages and especially on a country road, if you walk past somebody it is customary to say hello. They may also ask you "how are you?", or another similar variation. It is polite to respond to this greeting but it is not expected that you would give any detail on how you really are, if the person is a stranger - a simple hello or "how are you?" or a simple comment on the weather will suffice! In this regard, try something like "Grand day!" - if it isn't raining, of course. To which the response will generally be "It is indeed, thank God!"

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

They are absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Aw. Westside is da bestside! :)

Wait! Where does Westside begin and end? Seriously.
    Discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Some good bits in there. But you gotta love this from the Ireland TravelWiki:
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Ireland#Stay_safe

That article does a lot to reinforce the stereotype that americans are idiots tbh... some of the stuff in it is absolutely outrageous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Personally I take umbrages with this bit .
    At the south end of the pedestrian mall, is the Spanish Arch, one of the few remaining parts of the town's ancient defenses. The park adjacent to the arch is a popular place to sit and relax, while watching the Corrib flow out into Galway Bay.

and feel that it should be edited to
    At the south end of the pedestrian mall, is the Spanish Arch, one of the few remaining parts of the town's ancient defenses. The park adjacent to the arch is a popular place to sit and relax, while watching the Corrib flow out into Galway Bay.

This area has been colloquially rechristened as "Bucky Plaza" during the past decade in honour of the favourite tipple of the modern day Irish dispossessed .... comprising mainly of those dispossessed of an ID card proving that they are over 18 .

It is strongly recommended that you avoid this area on St. Patricks day, in particular, and also on any other dry day of the year after nightfall .

It is , however, generally safe when it rains ....which is most days of the year in Galway .

Anyone have a problem with that edit in terms of accuracy ???

inisboffin wrote: »

Discuss.

Are we talking about Westside as in the Western side/half of the City or Westside as in the actual address/area?

If you take the City as being Barna-Oranmore then the mid-way East/West split is probably somewhere like the Liosbaun Industrial Estate.

BTW, I do consider Oranmore to be an outer suburb (ie - part of the City). But that's just me.

That's what I mean, 'Westside' seems to be a biscuit IN a bar;)

I hear everything from 'meet you on the Westside for a drink' (meaning Massimo's) to 'Don't go for a drink in the Westside' (meaning at the shopping centre by Bishop O'Donnell Rd).

I know there is an area defined as 'Westside' but I am unclear as to its boundaries thanks to local disagreement.
    Does it end at Rahoon? Shantalla, Circular Rd? Laurel Pk? The only helpful notation is the 'WEST' graffiti on the stop sign at the top of the Shantalla Rd!:D I assume I am entering some sort of territorial boundary then!

There's also an area called 'The West' - think that's where Massimo's is.

The Westside Tavern in Westside is best avoided!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Who wants to Boardsify it with references to KD, the Burren Mount and the Charcoal Grill?

Robbo wrote: »
    Who wants to Boardsify it with references to KD, the Burren Mount and the Charcoal Grill?

And reference to the strange characters of Galway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem with that edit in terms of accuracy ???

I've never felt that the Spanish Arch was dodgy at night or at any other time meself... while calling it "Bucky Plaza" is totally apt I think the original description is pretty fair:) that whole article is actually shockingly accurate. I think it gives a more honest view of the city than the wikipedia article so fair play to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »

Don't forget about Kebab House

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Don't forget about Kebab House

Done ;)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Galway#Eat

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

inisboffin wrote: »

Discuss.

Westside reminds me so much of the glen in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

73706.JPG

Not exact, but it'll give you an idea of the areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KevR wrote: »
    There's also an area called 'The West' - think that's where Massimo's is.

Aye: The West is on the west side of the city, but it's not Westside. Gotta love this English stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

"The West" is around Henry Street, Lower Dominick Street, the Small Crane... that general area...where Massimos, Blue Note etc. are. It was the west end of town before the likes of Shantalla etc were built. Beyond it was countryside.

"Westside" - Corrib Park etc. is only a very new area.

It's like the New Cemetery, which is the cemetery in Bohermore. All Galway people call it the New Cemetery even though it must be nearly a hundred years old at this stage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Westside isn't so much a place as a state of mind. 2pac4evah.

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    That article does a lot to reinforce the stereotype that americans are idiots tbh... some of the stuff in it is absolutely outrageous.

What bits do you think are outrageous?

Only two inaccuracies that I've spotted:
    • "although even mild racism is not appreciated by the majority.", and
    • "Cork, Dublin and Galway abound with slick, stylish coffee bars" - Cork and Dublin maybe, but Galway, yeah, right.

You might be surprised that tourists need to be told some of the things that are included, but I'm not: some of 'em come from very different cultures.

Actually, there's a bit I should add under "safety": Do not be surprised if you see six or eight armed soldiers guarding the street while a security van (known to the Irish as a "piggy bank") delivers cash the bank branches. Although there have been cases where security guards have been held up at gunpoint, members of the public have not been injured.

JustMary wrote: »

Actually, there's a bit I should add under "safety": Do not be surprised if you see six or eight armed soldiers guarding the street while a security van (known to the Irish as a "piggy bank") delivers cash the bank branches. Although there have been cases where security guards have been held up at gunpoint, members of the public have not been injured.

Guy was shot dead during a raid on AIB Lynch's Castle

churchview wrote: »

???

Fey! wrote: »
    ???

Think it happened back in the 70's but am open to correction.

Yea, you're right. In fairness ancient history at this stage. It was the early 70s. A wages clerk was shot dead (apparently accidentally) with a sawn off shotgun during an IRA robbery on AIB Lynchs' Castle.

churchview wrote: »

Shh .. it might be true, but don't tell the tourists ;)

(Just like the Spanish tourists don't get taken down to Forthill Cemetery to see where some of the ancestors from the time of the Inquisition ended up!)

JustMary wrote: »
    (Just like the Spanish tourists don't get taken down to Forthill Cemetery to see where some of the ancestors from the time of the Inquisition ended up!)

Is that true? That's amazing if it is. I keep meaning to get down there for a decent look around. I've only been there for Funerals. The history of the place must be amazing. Apparently Cromwell bombed Galway from there as it was higher than the town.

Thanks for the map Fey! :) I can now win a bet and collect it tonight for a technical boundary (small bet!). Where did you source these boundaries, from postal addresses?

Yeah lads, I knew 'The West' being that area (Massimos etc), but I have heard it referred to (in the last year anyway, a few times) as 'Back West' and the infamously confusing 'Westside'. And not by blow-ins either! :) So the confusion seems to be spreading!

Oh, in fairness Westside Tavern has its moments in Galway's musical history though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

That's a very useful map, Fey.

Fey play dhuit!

• Advertisement

The boundaries on the map are off the top of my head; estates such as Corrib Park and Greenhills are Newcastle, Inishannagh (sp?) is Westside, Hy-Brasil is Dangan, etc.

I live in Highfield myself, where some people describe it as Shantalla, some as Taylors Hill, and others just as Highfield (unlike Maunsells Road, there is no road onto Taylors Hill, only paths).

As for West/Claddagh, I used to be the doorman in the Pumphouse (now the Bierhaus), and I had the difference between West, Claddagh, and Westside explained to me by the locals several times. It was an insult to the locals to get them mixed up and ask a lad from West was he Claddagh, and vice versa!!!

And for health reasons you didn't ask either lad if they were from Westside!!!

Advertisement