Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wrote Galways Wikitravel entry?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

inisboffin wrote: »
    Aw. Westside is da bestside! :)

Wait! Where does Westside begin and end? Seriously.
    Discuss.

Westside really is just the shopping center. The surrounding area is Rahoon. But people sometimes refer to Rahoon as Westside. Might be because it makes it sound like some "hood".
    Rahoon extends from the edge of Corrib Park (Newcastle) to Laurel Park (Newcastle) over to the halting site (Letteragh rd i think), over to the WDR roundabout, across to Dun Aras and gleann Dara and down to the roundabout at the back of the hospital. Also includes the Rahoon Rd up past the cemetary as far as Rosan Glas.

And despite what people may like to think Gaelcarraig Park and the other estates at that side are not in Newcastle!!

KevR wrote: »
    Are we talking about Westside as in the Western side/half of the City or Westside as in the actual address/area?

If you take the City as being Barna-Oranmore then the mid-way East/West split is probably somewhere like the Liosbaun Industrial Estate.

BTW, I do consider Oranmore to be an outer suburb (ie - part of the City). But that's just me.

The east/west boundary is and always will be the river corrib
    Fey! wrote: »

73706.JPG

Not exact, but it'll give you an idea of the areas.

Good job. Pity i didnt see it before i posted the above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Carlotta, are you saying Westside isn't really an area in itself? Just a bit in the middle of Rahoon? Then Fey's map has it extending beyond the shopping centre. I haven't heard *all* of Rahoon being referred to as WS, just from the pitch - down from it towards church and behind it up the hill.

Years ago I was renting a house in Maunsells Pk, we called Shantalla, but the woman next door insisted it was Taylor's Hill to the postman ;)

I know it can be both, but it wasn't the Hill side, no one else cared, but she haaated the thought of not being from Taylor's Hill! :rolleyes:

inisboffin wrote: »
    Carlotta, are you saying Westside isn't really an area in itself? Just a bit in the middle of Rahoon? Then Fey's map has it extending beyond the shopping centre. I haven't heard *all* of Rahoon being referred to as WS, just from the pitch - down from it towards church and behind it up the hill.

Years ago I was renting a house in Maunsells Pk, we called Shantalla, but the woman next door insisted it was Taylor's Hill to the postman ;)

I know it can be both, but it wasn't the Hill side, no one else cared, but she haaated the thought of not being from Taylor's Hill! :rolleyes:

Ah, upwardly mobile Galwegians! And Mervue is really "Upper Renmore"!

Advertisement