Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of buying a house

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I just have a few questions. As you might have guessed I am a FTB. I got a quote of €1,750 + outlay for conveyance.
    There are 2 types of registration (apparently) Land Registry (Which costs an additional €875) and Registry of Deeds (Which costs an additional €300). Why the hell do we have two systems and whats the difference? Also I would presume these include VAT? And why is VAT at 21.5% not 13.5% (as its a service)?

Also am I missing any other costs of buying a house:
    Structural Survey
    Valuation (covered by mortgage provider)
    Life assurance
    House insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

hi irishguy, i just bought my house nearly two years ago..any quote i got was minus the vat,, robbing sods charge 21%...i only had to get life and house insurance..got a fixed rate for five years worked out grand,,even better to do that now with the rates now...and only have a 25 year mortgage...dont forget bout your tax relief at source..amazing how many people forget to apply and the rates went up this year..even better:).get a good solicotor and ask for there charges first it is usually round 2000-3000 euros mine cost 5000euros listed even staples as a charge...its all money...

good luck in house buying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

irishguy wrote: »
    Also am I missing any other costs of buying a house:

This any use? Scroll down a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

This any use? Scroll down a good bit

Thanks I had a look at that, but that has Land reg fees separate to legal fees. I assumed that they were included in the Legal fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

irishguy wrote: »
    Thanks I had a look at that, but that has Land reg fees separate to legal fees. I assumed that they were included in the Legal fees?
    You'll likely pay them both to your solicitor, but they should be itemised seperately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

From my experience, I agree with Ste.phen. Make sure all the items are itemised seperately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Can someone explain the difference between the two types of land registry ?

Advertisement