Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog exhibition "art" row in Drogheda.

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching the 6.00 news tonight about the two dogs on a controversial 'If Art Could Save Your Life' exhibition in Drogheda.

The huge levels of publicity generated have resulted in a number of callers saying they will rehome the strays when the exhibition ends on March 20th a group has Group threaten to intervene at arts centre.

If new owners aren't found, the two dogs will be put down but this seems highly unlike according to informed sources.

Artist Seamus Nolan wants everyone who visits the dogs between now and March 20th to examine their ideas of value, production and judgment.

The strays from Louth County Council's pound will not arrive until after the official exhibition opening which takes place this evening, February 25th

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/dog-exhibition-row-1653044.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

:confused:I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this, has the artist not achieved what he set out to before the exhibition has even started?
    If the dogs were left in the pound they might not be looked after as good.
    Has it not saved the dogs lives already?
    The people who have a problem with this are hypocrites, they didn't offer a home to those two dogs a month ago.
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if there were 500 dogs at this exhibition, would they all get new homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Better than this guy and his exhibition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Vargas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

One of the dogs was already rehomed before the exhibition, but apparenly was being held back because of the exhibition (definitely not helping) however, the pound then did decide to let him go before the exhibition and the new owner is bringing him to the art centre every day. The other dog also has a booking on him, again, made before the exhibition.

The line they have been using about them being put to sleep after the exhibition is very disingenuous, as there is a fantastic rescue group that works with that particular pound, and they would have got these dogs out to new homes without doubt. This pound is one of the best in the country I think, (I rehomed a dog from there in October 2007) and has a very low pts rate.

I guess you could say that the publicity generated by this is helping at least, with the debate about unwanted dogs being out there in the public domain. However, most rescue groups and pounds have found in the past that publicity like this usually leads to more dogs being dumped on their doorsteps because people suddenly realise there is somewhere they can get rid of their dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Anyone watching the 6.00 news tonight about the two dogs on a controversial 'If Art Could Save Your Life' exhibition in Draugheda.

It's in Drogheda, sorry but I just felt compelled to make that correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

merryhappy wrote: »
    It's in Drogheda, sorry but I just felt compelled to make that correction.

Fixed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iara

To all of the above and anyone else with concern about dogs in this exhibition.
    We got one of our members in the area to view and asess the situation with whice the dogs are in.The report back does not match the gallery website picture as they have bedding, water and toys and both are playfull and in good form. One of the dogs has been rehomed allready and another put in its place. The dogs are in better circumstances than any Animal Shelter can offer and stand to get a home quicker now that there is so much coverage about it.
    Anything that shows awareness to what animals have to live is a good thing as long as there is no distress to the animal. If it is Art or not is not for us to say, but look around and see how much coverage this has giving animal rights in your country. It made people that just want to talk about if it is Art or not open their mind a bit and look at what is realy going on for poor animals that get throwing out on the street.
    Do not reply to this email as if you feel you need to do something to help what is going on in Ireland go to a pound and rehome a pet for life. Do not get a dog from a shop, they will just stock up from a farm and more dogs will go to the shelters, and it starts all over again.
    J. M. Lapen
    I.A.R.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

iara wrote: »
    The dogs are in better circumstances than any Animal Shelter can offer

I'm sorry, but I have to refute that. Maybe better than any pound, but there are a lot of very well run, very comfortable shelters. Please don't confuse the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iara

Ye, there are a lot of good shelters and the staff do their best and get little thanks. I do not knock any of them and would ask people to help in any way they can. Some one ask me if a circus was o.k., no no no no no no. There is a difference between the two and it should be easy to see.

Advertisement