Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion

Options
  • 26-02-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Been noticing a shed load of email confirmation threads on the helpdesk of late.Would it not be an idea to have a sticky for same?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Nobody reads stickies :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

As Nerin has said, people don't read stickies. They're messy I think, some forums have up to 10 of them with all sorts of titles (there's no uniform titles - some have asterisks ***** SOME HAVE CAPITALS).
    There's a thread in Development about making Stickies and/or Announcements stand out somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's a handy stupidity filter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nerin wrote: »

QFT :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Nerin wrote: »

Well then maybe when people are signing up have a line that says

"if you do not receive email confirmation please post in the confirmation sticky thread in the help desk"

Have the above bolded with some dancing hula girls above and below it or something.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They already receive a notice saying something along the lines of "You do not appear to have completed your registration, which means that will be unable to use most functionality on boards.ie. If you do not have the confirmation email, please post on the Help Desk to have it resent to you".

I would prefer that each person started a new thread instead of one single "post here to have your registration resent" thread. Makes it much easier to see which ones have been dealt with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is there a problem with the registration process currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes.

Many people are too stupid to figure out how to click on a link in an email.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote: »
    Many people are too stupid to figure out how to click on a link in an email.

Darwinism at work.
    When I become Ruler of the Internet (any day now) I will consider this a stupid filter and your access to the internet will be cut. For Life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I presume a few people also get caught out with spam filters. Does/should the message advise them to check their spam folders?

(I'd check myself, but I'd have to sign up a new account and fail, and I don't want to risk being banned from the internet)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This is what anyone who hasn't confirmed their registration gets (in the form of a notice):
    Hi {username}, according to our system, you are currently "awaiting email confirmation", which means you won't be able to post messages, reply to threads, use private messaging, etc. Please check your spam/trash folders if you haven't received a confirmation email. You can also check if the email address you supplied is correct here.
    If it has been a long time since you registered and can't find the mail, you can ask for assistance in our Help Desk forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Max Factor

CuLT wrote: »
    This is what anyone who hasn't confirmed their registration gets (in the form of a notice):

I just read this site started in 2000? You joined in 1997?

http://www.boards.ie/team.php

Whut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Max Factor wrote: »
    I just read this site started in 2000? You joined in 1997?

http://www.boards.ie/team.php

Whut?

CuLT is the personal account of Ross - Lead Developer. Admin can alter any bits of information in a user's profile (including their own of course). I'd imaigne Ross changed it as a joke. The site started in early 1998 on the Irisg Gaming Network's website or something similar. It used to be a Quake board

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A sticky would save the smods a lot of work as only the threadstarter, smod and above can reply to a thread in the help desk. :)

Advertisement