Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the max laser power?

• 26-02-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

If i was buying a laser on ebay whats the legal power limit for skirmishing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Naessens wrote: »
    If i was buying a laser on ebay whats the legal power limit for skirmishing?

0.5MW no greater than Class IIIa.

To my knowledge it can be red or green provided it doesnt exceed these requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Actually afaik there's two restrictions- power and wavelength. Anything except red breaks the wavelength restriction. Anyone fancy digging up the legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

actually, how come thats the legal limit but optical devices such as cd burners usually have much more powerful class 1 lasers

weeder wrote: »
    actually, how come thats the legal limit but optical devices such as cd burners usually have much more powerful class 1 lasers

Because one is for highlighters and the other is a component part of a media device I suppose.

Oh and Dar ... you suck. We're about to have the laser arguement all over again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

The legal requirements are in the forum Charter, which you should have read before posting.

You can have any colour you like, as long as it's red.

The laser in CD burners etc is shielded and cannot be seen by the eye unless the device is disassembled. 15 seconds of reading the warning stickers or doing some basic research on the internet would have told you that.

And yes, even a 5mW laser can cause damage if shone into the eyes of someone who's wearing glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thanks Oz the rest of you can go back to school and read the charter like your supposed to have done already :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

0.5MW no greater than Class IIIa.

To my knowledge it can be red or green provided it doesnt exceed these requirements.

A 0.5 Mega Watt Laser might be a bit over kill :D

hal9000 wrote: »
    A 0.5 Mega Watt Laser might be a bit over kill :D

I dont know nuffin' 'bout 'dat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

1.21 gigawatts! Just hit 88 and away with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Lee 303

zero19 wrote: »
    1.21 gigawatts! Just hit 88 and away with ya!

and just where do you fit the flux capactor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

The power limit for laser pointers is in the region of 0.5mW (or possibly exactly, I'm unsure) - the colour is of no significance.

The reason however for the prejudice against anything but red comes very simply from the fact that all others are over this threshold. The reason that they are over the threshold is that higher frequency waves carry more energy at the same amplitude.

The significance of this is that even at the minimum operational energy levels for a green laser diode (ie: operating at the minimum gate threshold) in the vast majority of cases, it's already over this limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Lasers are potentially more dangerous than a BB at 1J.

Please do not post on this subject without checking your facts first (that includes me).

Classification system

Safety info

Sorry for not putting these citations into last night's post, I was a bit tired.

Incorrect information helps no-one and perpetuates confusion. Those yellow stickers are not there just to look pretty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The wording in the charter is directly from the DoJ so thats the bible. Id argue its still illeagle to put them on an Aisofy but no-one listens to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

OzCam wrote: »
    Those yellow stickers are not there just to look pretty.

But they are pretty.

Thanks for the info, I didn't read this thread till now so I'm not confused (Take solace in that ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

willie.jpg
    Willie Hears Ya, Willie doesn't care ;)

Imo i'm not a big fan of lasers and airsoft, I just don't trust the negative impact they can cause for eye and I've seen alot of medical articles about Red, Green & Blue lasers and most agreed Green & Blue should remain taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

My green laser goes to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The real thing that limits lasers in airsoft is just how feckin useless they are :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Havnt got your hands on one you can zero, they are awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Havnt got your hands on one you can zero, they are awesome.

I was buying a load of stuff a while back and on impulse tossed a double eagle cheapo mac10 springer into the basket. Apart from the gun itself, and the rail, the scope, the torch, and glasses, for the princely 9 euro sum, came a fully metal and adjustable laser - mounted it on my M9 and it's zero'd pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Dex said it before, it takes longer to point an aeg at a target, find the red dot with your eye, move it, and fire, than using irons, or a red-dot hud style scope.

It was some military report, they only use peq lasers etc. with night vision as its invisible to tangos, and its hard to look down a scope with a face full of monocular.

Legal limit, 5mw, in red.

Lasers are cool looking and fun to mess with.

You're better off with a red-dot sight for gaming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement