Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rewiring

Options
  • 26-02-2009 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All,
    Have to say thank you to everyone, really finding the site useful for tips and ideas whilst renovating my house.
    The house I'm renovating is an old cottage (100 years old) with an extension built around the 60's. My question (could be a blonde question though) is can rewiring be done in different stages, ie the extension first and the original cottage at a later date?
    thanks a mil, L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I don't see why not. Get a new consumer unit installed beside the old fuseboard and supplied from it, then run the new circuits for the extension from the new CU. At a later date you can get the rest of the house rewired from the new consumer unit and eventually remove the old fuseboard altogether.

It would probably be cheaper to do it all in one go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

yup what pete says. Would agree do the whole lot at once. Cheaper buying cable in bulk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LaLyn

Thanks a mil for the replies, I'll probably go ahead and do it in stages but have the electrician purchase all the cabling etc up front. Thanks again. L

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If its a difficult/long run from the extension to the main fuseboard it might be well worth your while having the separate consumer unit (fuse board). This can also be handy from a protection of cable point of view depending on the approach.

But as the lads said above, its not a big deal either way it just depends on the approach of the builder TBH. The electrician could rewire the whole house and simply have a cable ready to go to pop through to the extension if there was a delay in the building.

Advertisement