Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three day week

Options
  • 26-02-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The reason you always hear a bout a "three day week" and not for example a "four day week" is that one a three day week an employee can get some form of topup dole (just closed tab, not sure of the exact term) for the two days in which he is unemployed.

My hours were recently reduced to 15 per week, from 20, and that in itself is ok, BUT my employer will not allow me to go on a three day week, instead he insists that I work mon-fri doing 3 hours per day, so I can't get that top up dole.

I don't want to quit, but its uneconomic for me to continue, you see the cost of driving and parking means I only take home EUR 35 per day.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, apart from "stick with it and hope things improve" :)
    Is this an example of constructive dismissal? If I quit can I get the dole, which is EUR 40 per day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, The dole actually works on a six day week. If a person worked three days per week they could potentially sign on looking for work for the other three.
    You cant really shout constructive dismissal as your boss has not made your working conditions unbearable to work under. Your boss has just re-arranged hours to suit the workload.

Maybe even though you work 3 hours per day you might be able to find something on a part time basis to help bring the figures up. It might be easy to say you'd be better off on the dole but if you walk out of your job you are exempt from collecting it for 6-7 weeks i think. and even then it would be means tested. The important thing I would look at is you are in employment and its alot easier to find a job if you have a job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you are working 16 hours a week, you can sign on the dole but why dont you just get a better job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

If you are working 16 hours a week, you can sign on the dole but why dont you just get a better job ?

Of course. Now why didn't I think of that. Going to apply for that better job straight away. Wow! so many to choose from. How will I ever decide which one to go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Is this an example of constructive dismissal?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you are working in retail, ask your union rep as I think most places signed up to an agreement of a minimum working day of 4hrs. (maybe except Dunnes )

I know that doesn't make a big diff, but at least you would be working 4 days max.

• Advertisement
Advertisement