Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backpacking around south east asia!

• 27-02-2009 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Me and a few friends are planning a trip this summer to Thailand, Laos and cambodia/vietnam, We are heading for 6-7week. I was just wondering would this be too little time for all four countries?
    and if so would Cambodia or Vietnam be the better option?!

We are planning on heading to the islands towards the end for some island hopping...which islands would you recommend visiting? and is there any islands or resorts that should be avoided?
    I've been advised to avoid Phuket...is this true?!

Thanks in advance for replies! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

When we went we took 16 weeks to do these four countries. Personally I don't think 6/7 weeks is long enough but it depends what type of traveller you are and how much you want to see. A mate of mine went over with some college friends and did the 4 countries in around the same amount of time you're talking about, but he was literally staying somewhere for 1 to 2 days then hitting the long bus journey again!

To be honest if I was going over for that amout of time I'd probably spend a month in Thailand and 2 weeks in Laos. If you're determined to get in 3 countries then I'd go for Vietnam over Cambodia, but that's just personal preference really. I loved Vietnam but I've met a lot of travellers who didn't! Either way you're lucky to be going out there, awesome part of the world!

I liked Kho Tao and Kho Phan Ngan, haven't been to Samui think that has less of a backpackers vibe though. Heard Phi Phi is meant to be amazing. Definitely avoid Phuket at all costs, it's an absolute dump. Do not go here unless you're into the sex tourist scene! The whole town in general is just shabby and not appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rolypolymoly

Thanks for the info! Yes we will definitely steer clear of phuket then (eugh!)
    We deffo want to stay away from the scumbag/knackery places and meet some cool fellow backpackers!

We might fly internally then and then try and do three countries because i don't want to be traveling all the time...
    Its gonna be five 21 year old girls traveling, so we like to have good time but would also exploring all the cultural aspects etc..

Did you do the PADI diving course in Ko Tao? (was thinking about that..)
    Or flight or the gibbon or trekking to the tribes in Chiang Mai?!

Ahh I can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Hopalong read my mind. Did 3 weeks Thai (including 2 weeks chilling on Tao and Pha Ngang), 10 days Laos and 10 days Vietnam. Could have done without Vietnam as was the worst country I have ever been in but Laos was WAY better than expected. Hilarious place.
    All in all 6 weeks was just perfect as was itching to unpack properly at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Hey in laos at the moment its really relax been in 4000 islands in the south and now in vang vieng not a lot of culture in these places just backpackers and hammocks!! Cambodia has been our favourite (me and GF 28 + 22) great culture great people just a brilliant country I would recommend Siem Reap, Kompon Chom and Ban Lung!! Thailand is very very touristy but still great beaches didnt like phi phi but loved diving in Koh tao as Other poster said Samui is not as backpacker friendly (kinda like spain) best island for us in thailand was Koh Lanta Near Phi-Phi
    Have fun we did!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

i'm planning on doing something very similar this august so have got some good ideas from this thread. what is the best way to get into laos from thailand? thinking of goin north from bangkok when we land, spend a week or so in laos then move on from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Yeah, come into Laos from Northern Thailand. Laos pretty much has no roads or railway so this allows you to travel through the country down the mekong (along which any town you want to visit lies). The very top of Thai shares a border with Laos at the mekong so head to one of these towns (there'll be tourist buses from everywhere). Bring passport photos etc because you need to spend the night on the Thai side whilst they process your visa for Laos. Also bring dollars into Laos. There are essentially no atms so you need cash.
    Now for the fun part... fast boat or slow boat??????!!! Slow boat takes 2 days and is relatively safe. Fast boat takes about 4 hours, is unbelievably fun and dangerous (as well as uncomforable). I did the fast boat and would recommend it for young energetic types. Oh yeah, bring ear plugs because they cost a fortune on the day.
    To recap, bring cash, ear plugs, passport photos and a guide book. Having said that, I forgot all 4 and a lot of the fun was getting by without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Don't forget to check into when it's rainy season! It sorta varies from country to country but if you're going in late summer, like July or august, you'll probably be smack bang in the middle of it. Check it out and pick a time where you're more likely to get good weather. Just cos it's summer at home doesn't mean it is there! Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Don't forget to check into when it's rainy season! It sorta varies from country to country but if you're going in late summer, like July or august, you'll probably be smack bang in the middle of it. Check it out and pick a time where you're more likely to get good weather. Just cos it's summer at home doesn't mean it is there! Have fun!

I was in Thailand/Laos in the rainy season the last two years. The weather is fine, when it rains it only lasts for an hour or two and as far as i can remember it was sunny pretty much everyday. I wouldnt let it put me off anyway!

Also id probably just bring $20/30 into Laos with me. Theres atms in all the main/tourist towns now and they can be a little strict in accepting dollars. Any rip in the notes, regardless of the size and they wont take your dollars. Local currency is the way to go in Laos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

Me and a few friends are planning a trip this summer to Thailand, Laos and cambodia/vietnam, We are heading for 6-7week. I was just wondering would this be too little time for all four countries?
    and if so would Cambodia or Vietnam be the better option?!

We are planning on heading to the islands towards the end for some island hopping...which islands would you recommend visiting? and is there any islands or resorts that should be avoided?
    I've been advised to avoid Phuket...is this true?!

Thanks in advance for replies! :)
    6-7 weeks will be much too much of a rush and I'd take Vietnam out of the equation. The other three are much more friendly places to visit.

Phuket is pretty much a well made holiday resort and not something you want if you are looking for the backpacking scene. It's not a dump, it is actually very beautiful. Picture postcard beaches etc. Yes, there is the sex tourist side of things there, but you don't have to go if you don't want to. However, if you've never been to Thailand before and you've never seen any of it, then you should go to have your own opinion of it, see it for your own eyes. Isn't that the whole point of travelling, to open up your own eyes and mind?

Koh Pi Pi I haven't seen since the Tsunami. It's tiny, you could walk around it in half a day!

Samui has become very similar to Phuket, but it's an easy way in and out of Koh Tao and Phang Nan. Koh Tao is all about SCUBA diving, Phang Nan is about quiet beaches to chill out at for a while and THE full moon party (if you get there at the right time)

Cambodia - is modern history central and in your face. Everything that happened here was a generation away. It's the worlds biggest dollar store to backpacker. Accomodation for a night, a couple of dollars, a pizza, a couple of dollars, ride on a motorbike a couple of dollars. There appears to be no economy of scale and its BRILLIANT! Ankor Wat, stunning! Generally travelling, meeting people, making your own life story, great place to do it.

Laos, never been, but imagine it something like Cambodia +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Ayone know the cheapest way to travel around Thailand?

Flights from Bangkok to Samui looking over €130 any ideas who to fly with or is a train viable from there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

preddy wrote: »
    Ayone know the cheapest way to travel around Thailand?

Flights from Bangkok to Samui looking over €130 any ideas who to fly with or is a train viable from there?

The train is so slow!
    Luxury BUS with reclining seats from any of the local travel agents, thats the way forward.
    Will obviously be a days travel, but you'll probably meet some people on the way and some other stuff.
    If you have money to spend on plane, great. No idea who, probably Samui Air or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Try AirAsia from Bangkok to Surat Thani - the town from where the ferry leaves for Samui - about 30e one way and very smooth, they bring you by bus to the ferry

The bus is grand too, just the plane is quicker really

Wouldnt recommend trying to do Vietnam in your timeframe - it needs a month - otherwise you'll only be rushing everywhere - personally, i loved Vietnam

Hey in laos at the moment its really relax been in 4000 islands in the south and now in vang vieng not a lot of culture in these places just backpackers and hammocks!!

I loved Don Det in the 4000 islands and wouldnt agree that theres not a lot of culture - if you go cycling through the island, head over to the waterfalls across the old railway bridge, its amazing and so very peaceful and tranquil + the fact thats theres no electricity (only for a few hrs in the evening) made it a bit more exciting

Also, down that way - i liked Champasak, lots of old ruins and a really cool place to chill out for a few days, small town, not a lot of backpackers and lots of stuff to see. Pakse, the next big town isnt too far away and i spent 2 nights there and really enjoyed it too

Advertisement